Profile for A. Murdoch > Reviews

Content by A. Murdoch

A. Murdoch (Glasgow United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
In the Name of Self-Defense:: What it costs. When it's worth it
In the Name of Self-Defense:: What it costs. When it's worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound advice, 2 Jun. 2015
Good sound advice. I live in the UK so maybe a slightly different complexion on things here but the core information is 100% solid. I recently spent some time in court (only on jury duty) and even then I can assure you that one solid-gold take-it-to the-bank piece of advice that holds true on both sides of the pond is you do NOT want to get into the meatgrinder that is the legal system.
Some martial artists may be offended by Marc's raining on their parade of ninja awesomeness. I would urge you - as I am right now - to question your training and consider both pros and cons to what is learned and why. Any MA worth its salt should encourage that but this stuff is beyond arts and systems. Real insights into true self-defence as in defence of the self. This is not a 'how-to' book but deals in Big Ideas and is more useful for it - I would recommend to anyone as it could provide so much help - martial artists, hot-headed young men, complete novices. The information here works for everybody. IMO - it goes beyond just self-defence and into understand ng certain aspects of the human condition which help with any level of conflict.
Intelligent, insightful and truthful (sometimes hard to take but that's good) - take it from one who knows. That's Marc not me.
UPDATE - Marc advises you should read the book a second time after letting the ideas percolate for a while. I have done just that and it is a keeper. One of those books which deals with the deeper truths around conflict, aggression etc. What you have here is a very smart and knowledgeable man offering his hard-won advice. Take it.

Live +
Live +

5.0 out of 5 stars A few demerits as Jimmy Hall overcooks the vocals sometimes (for my taste) although he is a great singer, the new tracks are int, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Live + (Audio CD)
Actually 4.5 stars would be my real rating. A few demerits as Jimmy Hall overcooks the vocals sometimes (for my taste) although he is a great singer, the new tracks are intriguing but I read an interview with Jeff where he said he had recorded some really out there stuff that he wasn't sure the public would warm to. Try us Jeff - you always remain interesting, intense, ahead of the curve and follow your own muse perhaps to the detriment of obvious commercial success. I love going on musical journeys with you. Never one to take the road more travelled.
That said, this is a great album with an interesting selection of tracks across the years - it has been a fixture in my car since release and I never cease to be amazed at the skill, wit and sheer bravado on guitar of this quiet-spoken man.
I am still undecided whether to throw my electric guitar away or weld it to my torso and practice like a maniac after hearing Jeff play.

Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life
Tibetan Peach Pie: A True Account of an Imaginative Life

5.0 out of 5 stars ... here in as much as the book is a delight and full of surprises, 30 July 2014
There is no surprise here in as much as the book is a delight and full of surprises. I have loved his work for over 30 years and enjoyed this as much as any novel. The wit and the wisdom is very much in evidence. My only observation is that the book is loaded towards the formative years which could ode well for a volume 2?

Sunken Condos
Sunken Condos

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yeaaah!!!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Sunken Condos (Audio CD)
Sorry, can't understand the bad reviews of this. For me, Don's solo albums keep improving. This is not intended as damnation by faint praise but this album is consistently great.
Is it funk?
Is it pop?
Is it soul?
Is it jazz?
Is it rock?
Is it R&B (the proper one)?
Just like Steely Dan it is uncategorisable. Just like Steely Dan, it is brilliant.

A Different Kind Of Truth
A Different Kind Of Truth
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I dared hope, 23 Feb. 2012
OK - cards right out on the table. VH were a big part of my musical youth (which is more than can be said for Musical Youth) - back in the late-70s and early 80s I saw the Roth incarnation twice and they will remain one of my all-time faves.
Forget the Sammy years (much as I loved most of it) or VHIII, we are discussing the return of Diamond Dave. The world has turned through trash-talking, substance abuse, reunion tours and more rumour mill than output - yet here we are.
So what we got? Dave's wise-cracking crazy Zen wisdom? Check. A rehabilitated EVH firing on all musical cylinders? Check. A thunderous rhythm section? Check. A bunch of 70s songs redone? Semi-check. This is a brave and interesting step backwards to go forwards and it works much better than you would think. You do need to give the album a fair crack of the whip as it's not too immediate -repeated plays will reward though.
I didn't really get 'Tattoo' at first but as with everything on here, it's a grower. There's nothing to compete with say 'Runnin' WIth The Devil' or 'Unchained' or 'Romeo Delight' but it's good, good stuff and considering all the water under the bridge, it's amazing this record got made at all let alone as successfully as this. I do miss Mike though.
I was all ready to forget the whole thing as for a few years there it looked like they had p*ssed their legacy and reputation away. Now - if they tour the UK, I'm there! Some people made points about the sound quality and I would agree with that unfortunately. EVH through 21st century technology should equal eyebrow removal at 20 feet this is a little too compressed for my tastes. What would Ted have done???

Invisible Audience
Invisible Audience

5.0 out of 5 stars Most under-rated of 2011?, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Invisible Audience (Audio CD)
I am a bit fan of Luther's music but for some reason, I didn't have high hopes for this album as I was under the impression that it was a kind of gathering of material that was lying around, so I (wrongly) thought that it would be more of a curio than an album as such. AFter a listen though it proved (a) I get some weird ideas at times (b) no matter the when and where of the tracks, the whole thing hangs together beautifully (c)maybe the whole 'mixed bag' things bears fruit.
There is quite a collection of wonderful tunery here from the near-glam of 'Sidekick Reverb' through the acoustic trippiness of 'Motorbike' or the straight power-pop of 'Tomorrow's Papers'.
Dig in, it's all good and there's plenty to go 'round!

2x2kg Clubbell Power Clubs for Strength and Fitness Training
2x2kg Clubbell Power Clubs for Strength and Fitness Training

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the "low" weight fool you!, 2 Aug. 2011
OK - part review part advice here.

Firstly, my story. I am (IMHO) of about average fitness,height,build and strength with a love of the gym and martial arts but nothing spectacular in the fitness stakes, so base your evaluation on that. If you gave me a 2kg dumbbell, I would carry it around all week and not notice. For most exercises, 2kg would be nothing. However, 2kg worth of clubbell is a very different proposition. I have been stealing exercises from YouTube, working on shoulder joint flexibility and strength - well that was the theory anyway as they are also great for grip and general arm strength so more benefits than first thought! I took the advice of another reviewer and went for the smallest clubbells available (2kg) to work on form before anything else. Believe me, that (for the exercise regime I want) is plenty challenging. If anything, I want a pair of lighter Indian Clubs for some exercises. So these 2kg will surprise you I think.

As for the product? Great fast delivery and they seem very well-made and robust. I can see years of use here.

One caveat, you either need high ceilings or you need a bit if garden space. I am 5'9" and I reckon that with full vertical arm extension 7' is your minimum. I will be taking these to my aikido dojo and gym to get a good clear range of movement. As a training tool, I really rate these.

Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence
by Rory Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read but a necessary one IMO, 27 July 2011
This book is a must-read in my opinion for anyone who has any interest in TRUE self-defence whether they be a security professional/LEO, martial artist or just an average person who wants to take care of themself and their loved ones.
Sgt Miller's Been-There-Done-That credentials are beyond question and he writes with honesty and intelligence about his successes and failures and those he has witnessed. There are some bits that are hard to read due to the graphic nature of what is being described but they are not there for sensationalism - they are necessary to illustrate points.
This is NOT a 'how-to' book. This is a much more important work which should inform your training,thinking and above all - ACTIONS. I have only read it once and I know that I will be revisiting it regularly to get more from my martial arts training.
This is a deep work which makes you think about training, sociology, biology, psychology and more behind violence, combat and training. There are so many thoughts in this book that made me stop and reconsider my attitudes. Excellent work.

Man In Motion
Man In Motion

5.0 out of 5 stars Another side of WH, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Man In Motion (Audio CD)
This album sounds pretty much like I expected it to - in a good way. I had read what Warren had in mind for this album. 'Sounds like it'll be good' I thought - I was right! This is a bit of a departure from the Mule. Great guitar but on a tighter rein than the Mule (serve the song) and a funkier sound all round. As another reviewer rightly pointed out, sounds like Becker & Fagen sneak in occasionally. There are even bits that sound like John Turnbull from the Blockheads but it's all Warren, all good and a worthy addition to the Hardest Working Man in Music's catalogue. A healthy mix of soul,funk, blues and rock that proves that good music is still out there - if you know where to look. Well, here for starters.
UPDATE - I have been away on holiday for about a month and popped this back on after a rest from listening to it and it's a keeper! Gov't Mule are a broad musical church so it's not that much of a stretch for us broad-minded Mule fans to appreciate this more soulful, funky and less rockin' option.

Life: Keith Richards
Life: Keith Richards
by Keith Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Life indeed!, 6 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Life: Keith Richards (Hardcover)
Relatively speaking, this book seemed to come almost out of nowhere last year. Maybe I had heard the rumours for years that Keith would be writing his autobiography and thought "Yeah, right. I'll believe that when I see it". Yet, lo, here it is in all its glory.
Yes, all the predictable stuff is in there - drugs,feuds,chicks etc etc but Keith is very far from the numerous cliches that people hang on him - elegantly wasted human riff walking chemistry lab and so on.
KR is also a surprisingly intelligent, sensitive artist who is responsible for more than his fair share of classic music and songs that are part of many people's DNA. What shines through for me is his commitment to his music (and music in general) more than anything else and his deep roots. The guy has been a musician for over 50 years now! I have to admire his defiant attitude to life which has carried him through triumph and tragedy. Keith is a man amongst men,knows himself and lives by his own rules, just don't try this at home kids!
Personally what I took away from this book mostly was a rekindled love and deeper understanding of Stones music and an admiration for Keith's true character. The old sex,drugs and rock n roll stuff is a bit of cliche now but he wrote the rulebook on this stuff decades ago. Keith is acually a very pure soul in many ways, in my opinion.
Of course there are some very funny bits and Keef-isms to raise a smile. My personal favourite is when he gets annoyed about some backstage security people eating his beloved shepherds pie before he got any - "Don't bust my crust baby". Marvellous!
There are certainly some dark journeys in this book but I found it touching and human in the main. Many people should aspire to Keith's level of personal and artistic integrity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5