Profile for Ken Pemberton > Reviews

Content by Ken Pemberton

Ken Pemberton "kenpem" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
MONTAR Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS One Hand 360 Rotation Best Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For Samsung Apple HTC Nokia Blackberry Motorola Sony Ericsson LG iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4
Offered by Go4More ( VAT Registered )

5.0 out of 5 stars My new go-to mounting solution., 7 May 2015
I was supplied with a free review unit for evaluation purposes. I am not associated with the manufacturer or seller in any way.

Tested with my Samsung GS5 in its S-View wireless charging case, with the case folded back on itself.

It's just about perfect. Nicely compact and VERY sturdy. The gripping-arms may look flimsy, but they're more than up to the job. It's not clear from the pictures, but they slide apart and are pulled towards each other with strong spring pressure. It'll grip firmly enough, I can't imagine my phone ever coming loose. I did about 300 miles on a variety of road surfaces without so much as a wobble. About the only criticism I have is that despite the description, you cannot mount or dismount your phone one-handed. You'll need to use one hand to pull apart the spring-loaded arms, and the other to remove the phone.

As for mounting the unit to the car... I have a bit of an odd car. None of the dashboard surfaces where suitable (odd angles and lots of things in the way), so I ended up with it on the windscreen in the lower corner. I peeled off the wax-paper ring, slapped the unit against the windscreen and snapped the lever closed. Job done. ROCK solid. Other mounts has shown a tendancy to let go overnight, especially with high temperature changes, but the MONTAR just hung in there, (literally) rain or shine. At one point, for reasons I won't bore you with, I had to remove it temporarily. This was somewhat difficult! It was REALLY securely attached. With a little patience (not brute force) it slowly peeled away. My opinion - this is never going to fall off.

What would I change if I could? I'd like a slightly better ball-joint, so that the mounting arms can swing around to the other side. In my particular configuration, a lot of the mount is visible above the phone, but I'm unable to turn the whole thing around as there would be no way for the phone to face me.

All in all, I've very glad I was selected to give this a test drive. It's not going back! Honestly, if I'd been asked to return the unit after reviewing it, I'd have just bought one. Now that the price has come down to a tenner it's an absolute bargain, but even at the original full price it would have been worth it.

Cabin Sized Wheeled Crease Free Garment Bag with Zip-Off Laptop Bag
Cabin Sized Wheeled Crease Free Garment Bag with Zip-Off Laptop Bag
Offered by GATE8 Carry On Luggage

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised. Not fit for purpose. Poor customer service., 20 Feb. 2015
I'm a big bloke. I wear big clothes. They do fit in the case, but end up very crumpled.

Put a laptop in, and the bag falls over.

So overall, a great idea, but poorly executed.

When I raised my concerns, I was told that I could only return the item if it was unused. Since I used it before finding out precisely how bad it was, that was impossible. Customer service seems to be designed to stall, then deflect. No supplier accountability at all. My initial enquiries were completely ignored. Not at all pleased at having spent £150 on something that isn't fit for purpose and doesn't work as advertised.

Samsung S-View Case Cover for Galaxy S5 - Rose Gold
Samsung S-View Case Cover for Galaxy S5 - Rose Gold
Offered by Handyparadise UK (Tax included)

4.0 out of 5 stars Add a magnetic catch, and it's fine., 20 Feb. 2015
Silly me, didn't actually read the name of the colour, I thought from the picture it was a nice muted, manly brown. Nope. It's girly-gold. Now I have to buy my wife an S5. I also paid nearly fifty quid for mine, glad to see the price has come down.

On the plus side, it mostly works. NFC tags can still be used.

I do recommend adding a magnetic catch (available here on Amazon) to keep the darn thing closed. Samsung really should have engineered that in, and would have earned it another star.

Denman D6 Shampoo/Shower Brush
Denman D6 Shampoo/Shower Brush

4.0 out of 5 stars You never need to recharge or change the batteries., 20 Feb. 2015
You know what? It's a hairbrush. It brushes hair.

Arrived promptly.

4-Port USB Wall Charger Travel Kit with Interchangeable Plugs (US, UK, EU, AU) for iPhone iPod and other Smart phone, Most Tablet, MP3 Devices etc(Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Your laptop bag probably needs one of these., 20 Feb. 2015
Used in the UK, USA, France and Italy so far. Happily charges my Galaxy S5, my wife's S3, my Nexus 7 and my Livescribe pen all at once.

Micronext Mini Wireless Pocket Router 7in1 WiFi Network for Laptop
Micronext Mini Wireless Pocket Router 7in1 WiFi Network for Laptop

5.0 out of 5 stars All road warriors need one!, 20 Feb. 2015
I bought this to complete my "portable ChromeCase kit", and it does the job beautifully. This lives in my laptop bag. In hotel rooms, I connect it to the wired internet, then all my devices (phone, tablet, laptop and ChromeCast) all talk through the router. Painless.

Prime Instant Video
Prime Instant Video

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great on my phone, but not my tablet., 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Prime Instant Video (App)
Galaxy S5 - works fine. Picture is a little dark, some setup option to tweak this would be nice.

Nexus 7 - doesn't seem to do anything at all. No way to watch PIV on my tablet. Bummer.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Offered by Design 55 online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Coffee. Ever., 20 Feb. 2015
Quite simply, the best coffee I can make. The very quick brew-cycle makes a slightly mellow cup, which I like.

Don't grind your beans too fine! You'll end up giving yourself a hernia trying to press the darn thing. A medium grind works beautifully.

Threes!
Threes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a quick game during short breaks., 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Threes! (App)
Good for a few weeks of short smoke-break games, but eventually becomes a little repetitive, which I suppose is inevitable for a game with such a simple precept.

VERY well designed and implemented - I'm impressed!

iFlash Dual Micro USB / Mini USB Splitter Cable - Charge up two Devices (One Micro and One Mini USB) - Ideal for MicroUSB or MiniUSB Smartphones Such As Android, BlackBerry, HTC, Samsung... Mobile Phones, mp3 players, Digital Cameras, GPS, and Many More
Offered by iFlash

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalism FTW., 20 Feb. 2015
I have a "portable Chromcast kit" I take on my travels, consisting of a ChromeCase, travel router, power supplies and cables. The CC wants a micro-USB, the router wants mini-USB. Putting this little gem into the kit means I can leave behind one USB power adaptor and one cable. WIN.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5