Profile for C. Webber > Reviews

Content by C. Webber

C. Webber (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
The Original Stand Steady Standing Desk - Converts Your Desk to Stand up Desk, Adjustable Height (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars My back loves this!, 23 July 2016
I have only been using this standing desk for a little over a day, but it's great. My lower back feels better already and I honestly don't think it's my imagination. And of course I feel I am increasing my strength and bone density as I work! I could not be more pleased.

Hampstead Fever
Hampstead Fever

4.0 out of 5 stars London life in a heatwave, 22 July 2016
This review is from: Hampstead Fever (Kindle Edition)
I really liked Carol Cooper’s first novel – ‘One Night at the Jacaranda' – and would suggest that anyone considering reading ‘Hampstead Fever’ actually buys Jacaranda first if they haven’t already done so. It’s not essential, as the new novel definitely works as a ‘stand alone’, but I was grateful as I read it that I already knew a lot about the wide range of characters portrayed here.
The major strength of ‘Hampstead Fever’ for me is the very realistic medical detail and also the material associated with writing or broadcasting. There is, for example, a very funny scene in a London radio station. And another, when the GP character, Geoff, is filmed for a TV programme. In both cases, you can tell that Carol Cooper has done a lot of media work in her time! Talking of Geoff, he is my favourite character, and I am sure this is because of Carol’s years as a GP herself.
This is a very contemporary novel – I was reading it in a heatwave and could really feel for the characters as they tussled with their
stresses and dramas while trying to stay cool.

Paris Kiss
Paris Kiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying, atmospheric and compelling - and tremendous emotional insight ..., 18 April 2016
This review is from: Paris Kiss (Kindle Edition)
Satisfying, atmospheric and compelling - and tremendous emotional insight into the problems and frustrations of talented female artists of the time. A most enjoyable read.

Martha Argerich: The Legendary 1965 Debut Recording
Martha Argerich: The Legendary 1965 Debut Recording

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth waiting for ..., 9 April 2016
How have I let so many years go by before buying this wonderful recording? Have seen her so often - especially early in her career. This is such a joy. Effervescent. Technically superb. Just amazing.

How to Self Publish: A Guardian Masterclass (Guardian Shorts Book 43)
How to Self Publish: A Guardian Masterclass (Guardian Shorts Book 43)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Mar. 2016
Clear, concise and really, really helpful

One Night at the Jacaranda
One Night at the Jacaranda
by Dr Carol Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Red shoes on the cover - a very good sign!, 5 Jan. 2014
Do you want a pacy, well-written book packed with believable and fascinating characters? This is it. And all the medical details are correct - which of course you would expect since the author is an eminent doctor and health journalist.
This is a brilliant read for adults of all ages. I loved it.

Does My Goldfish Know Who I Am?: and hundreds more Big Questions from Little People answered by experts
by Christopher Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers for all the family, 26 Dec. 2013
I have just given this book to two families as an extra Christmas present. They all love it. And I have really enjoyed watching them dipping into it and laughing - and reading out interesting facts to each other. A brilliant idea. Lively and informative in equal measure.

Music for Ballet Classes Volume 1
Music for Ballet Classes Volume 1

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, 22 Mar. 2013
I hate to be negative but I found this CD really disappointing. The tempi seemed all wrong. The piano music is of course pleasant - and might be ok for kids to simply dance around to it, but I think its usefulness probably ends there.

Cold Tea and Tears: It DID Happen to a Dietitian
Cold Tea and Tears: It DID Happen to a Dietitian
by (Dietitian) Mary Farmer

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious - and touching, 4 May 2012
I love this touching and funny book. It is, of course, about food and our relationship with it. And about how - very often - we don't know nearly enough about how to fuel our bodies and our minds. Much more than that, this is a book about a life lived joyously in the service of others and it offers really useful lessons in how to advise, but not preach. A great read.

Where Does it Hurt?: What the Junior Doctor did next
Where Does it Hurt?: What the Junior Doctor did next
by Max Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars the human face of homelessness, 14 Mar. 2010
I love this book - but it is not an easy read as it challenges our perceptions of who the homeless are on every page. It is far from sentimental. And yet it kept bringing tears to my eyes. I reeled back when Max was spat at. And then felt ashamned as he learned that his patients were routinely abused in this way. I felt his sense of frustration when addicts promised to get clean - but didn't. And I itched along with him when he picked up an infestation of lice.

This is a laugh out loud book but - rather more importantly - it lifts the lid on a world that most of us only view occasionally and from a distance.

Page: 1 | 2