Profile for Nostalgia Girl > Reviews

Content by Nostalgia Girl

Nostalgia Girl (Uk)

How to Write a Children's Book: Tips on how to write and publish a book for kids or writing children's books by an award-winning author of the Amazon Bestseller How to Promote Your Children's Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book. Lots of information and easy to read., 14 Mar. 2016
As an aspiring author of children's adventure books I've studied many "how to write" books. I can honestly say that this book by Katie Davis is the best I've read so far. It's easy to read with lots of useful, practical "real world" advice. The most interesting section for me was a Question and Answer session for writers with a Mystery Children's book editor, where I found answers to many of the aspects of publishing I'd been wondering about, and lots of additional information and useful tips.

A Sister for Margot: lose yourself in an emotional page turner with a twist
A Sister for Margot: lose yourself in an emotional page turner with a twist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent family saga, 30 Jun. 2013
The story covers three generations of a family from wartime Liverpool to Spain and England during the 1990s. The story alternates between the past and present very successfully.
The key to any good family saga is to create characters the reader will care about, family secrets that will be solved eventually but aren't immediately obvious, and a setting that makes interesting reading.
This novel scores on all points. I have to admit to guessing the family secret quite early on, but due to the quality of writing this simply didn't matter. However there were some other twists and turns I didn't pick up on and which came as a surprise, which was a big plus.
The writing was excellent, and the characters well drawn. I look forward to reading more novels by Emma Clark Lam.

Pryckle
Pryckle
by Ian Bussell

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping historical / supernatural novel, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Pryckle (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love historical novels, and the 17th century is one of my favourite periods in history. It's a time that is overlooked by most historical novelists. Also living in Somerset I'm familiar with the locations mentioned in the novel, so I was looking forward to reading this book. However I was also keeping my fingers tightly crossed that the author would stay true to the historical and local detail.
I certainly wasn't disappointed as the historical details are accurate and the characters and location came alive.I almost jumped in the car to find the village for myself! The transitions between the past and present day stories are handled extremely well. I have read several "time-slip" novels and this is by far the most believeable and entertaining.
I'm looking forward to any more novels by Ian Bussell.

Finders Keepers
Finders Keepers
by Belinda Bauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, a real page turner, but should be read as third of a series, 28 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Finders Keepers (Hardcover)
"Finders Keepers" is a gripping story, and I found it hard to put down. Some of the images conjured up through the story are not for the faint hearted, especially where we learn the fate of the kidnapped children. To the author's credit events are not always predictable as in some crime thrillers. The descriptions of the Exmoor countryside are spot-on, and add to the overall atmosphere.
Having read and enjoyed Belinda Bauer's first novel "Blacklands" I started to read "Finders Keepers" without realising that this was the third in a series of crime thrillers set on Exmoor. I say "series" deliberately, as like previous reviewers I was a little lost in places, unable to fully understand why certain characters especially, PC Jonas Holly, reacted in the way he did in certain situations. I have since read the second book "Darkside" and missing pieces started to fall into place. So I do feel some extra information could have been added to explain PC Holly's backstory for new readers.
Other than that a great read!