Profile for A. Bone > Reviews

Content by A. Bone

A. Bone (Weymouth, Dorset, UK)

GREGOIRE HOTCHKISS. Une aventure
GREGOIRE HOTCHKISS. Une aventure
by Collectif

5.0 out of 5 stars I found a copy at last!, 1 Oct. 2015
I've waited to obtain this book for a long time, and was happy to purchase this used copy. It is a very highly detailed and well illustrated book. Text is in French, but I can read French better than I can speak it. There is a lot about J-A Gregoire himself, and his other projects, including the ultra-rare Gregoire Sports. The Gregoire R/Hotchkiss-Gregoire itself was an intriguing design which didn't take off mainly due to it's high cost. I highly recommend it if you are interested in unusual cars from the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but beware bright slides and cropping, 16 April 2015
I bought this on the strength of excellent reviews. It has mostly lived up to these, apart from the following points.

1) If the slide you are scanning is very bright, i.e. anything white or with reflections from the sun, then it comes out as a blur.
2) You have to be aware that the scanner will crop slides to a degree. It depends on which side you don't mind being cropped. You'll get used to this.

I'm being picky, but apart from these two points, it has fulfilled my requirements.

SAAB Cars: The Complete Story
SAAB Cars: The Complete Story
by Lance Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited history of a fascinating and innovative car manufacturer, 12 Feb. 2013
SAAB cars were of particular interest to me for the first 35 years of their history, incorporating the aerodynamic and highly distinctive 92,93 & 96 models before moving up market with the 99 and then the first 900. This book is very well illustrated, including numerous photos by the author.

I found a few inaccuracies and misprints (I would have proof read it!), but it is clear the author has enormous enthusiasm for the marque. Unusually for me, the book was read from cover to cover within 3 days of delivery.

My biggest regret was not owning a real SAAB (i.e. one built before the GM period).

The Stanley Clarke Band featuring Hiromi
The Stanley Clarke Band featuring Hiromi

5.0 out of 5 stars Stanley has excelled himself, 12 Feb. 2012
This is the best new album I've heard in ages. Outstanding even by Stanley's standards with many contrasting styles and textures. Very highly recommended.

Andre Lefebvre and the Cars He Created at Voisin and Citroen
Andre Lefebvre and the Cars He Created at Voisin and Citroen
by Gijsbert-Paul Berk

5.0 out of 5 stars Automotive Engineer with true vision and originality, 3 Nov. 2010
A great story of an engineer with vision who gave the world three of the world's most original and technically interesting cars - namely the Citroen Traction Avant, 2CV & DS. Very well illustrated and a must for Automotive Historians and Citroen fans everywhere. It is difficult to imagine a new vehicle being introduced in 2010 which was as advanced it its' day as the DS was in 1955!

What Did He Say?
What Did He Say?
Offered by KELINDO³

5.0 out of 5 stars My best musical discovery of 2009, 22 Jan. 2010
This review is from: What Did He Say? (Audio CD)
I bought a few varied CDs in 2009, but this was my best new aquisition. I bought it on the strength of having already enjoyed "Thunder" by SMV. It is just one of those albums that is very varied in styles and showcases great musicianship. Favourite track: Sojourn of Arjuna. Riverdance will never be the same again! Totally recommended.