Profile for A Mann > Reviews

Content by A Mann

A Mann

[The 2016 Latest][Free Wireless Mini keyboard] COOLEAD® M8 Pro Android TV BOX,Koiiko Octa-Core Cortex A53 Android 5.1 4K*2K Smart Streaming Wifi Box with KODI Media Player Pre Installed and Wifi Online Update, 2GB RAM + 8G ROM H.265 Decoding 3D Video TV BOX

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't get fooled again, 14 May 2016
This review is for the M8 Pro.

This is a very poor product, to begin with the description states it has 8GB of storage, it does not. What it has is 0.97GB with pre-installed apps that pretty much use up all the space, these apps cannot be moved to the additional 4.8GB this box has available or to SD Card. The problem comes when trying to update these apps, the box fails to update the apps due to insufficient space.You can uninstall these apps to get more space but then you don't have much of a usuable box.

It does have the 2GB of RAM as advertised but you have to dig around the system settings to find that info.

The box is also unstable, you constantly get popups telling you either Google Play Services or Play Store has stopped working, when trying to use Play Store it crashes and closes the app constantly making it impossible to download any apps. Kodi is pre-installed but it is only on Isengard, tryng to update it is extremely difficult due to the above storage space problems. The addons and repos on Kodi are pretty much all out of date and don't work, so anyone getting this hoping to use out of the box will be very disappointed. The instruction book while difficult to read because of the tiny type would be useful if it wasn't for all the inaccurate info regarding the menu options that should be available to you, for example the manual gives instructions on how to use OTA to update the box but the menu on the box itself has no OTA option. How then do you update the box? Looking online I couldn't fine anywhere to get any updates for this box.

The remote control is not bad for an Android box and the wireless keyboard was fine too with no problems. It all came nicely packaged but that is no good when the product itself cuts so many corners, falsely advertised and is unusable, unstable and cannot be updated.

I am sending this box back for a refund and will probably get another MINIX box as these are good quality and are as advertised.

NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band 11 AC (MU-MIMO Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, You View, Talk Talk, EE, Plusnet Fibre)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Expensive but worth a look, 10 Oct. 2015
This review is for the Netgear D7800-100UKS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 router.

***** Update 21/11/15 *****

After dealing with Netgear support and at first having no solutions to the problems in my original review, a new firmware has been applied to the router (V1.0.0.44), the router has been a lot more stable and after a few days I have not needed to reboot the router. A good sign I think but still early days. Today (Saturday) Netgear called me at home to check if the firmware had improved things, I am quite pleased with their support so far.

In light of this and because the overall performance of the router is very good, it seems Netgear are taking customer issues seriously and trying their best to sort out the early teething problems, I will be now increasing my score to 4 stars. There is still some way to go the make this the perfect router but I think they are on the way, 5 stars when it is.

***** Original review below *****

For the price the reliability of this router is very disappointing, at the very least I expected it to be stable enough not to have to reboot three to four times a day.

The problems started very quickly after installation, which at first looked like it had gone smoothly. The first problem was trying to setup my DDNS with my NO-IP account, the D7800 repeatedly reported that it couldn't give me the status as there was no ip address assigned to the internet port. The internet was working fine up to that point, the router connected to BT via VDSL2, after a few minutes the router reported that the internet was down. Using the Genie to attempt to fix the connection I just got a message that it was unable to fix the problem, I then tried to manually reconfigure the ISP settings in case it had somehow forgotten them but it kept rejecting the standard BT username and password as incorrect. The only way to get it back was to do a full cold reboot of the router, all was fine until the next problem.

I decided to try and setup QoS but that didn't work either. I tried to enable it but it required me to do a speed test first but when it tried it failed and reported that there was no internet, I attempted several times over the course of a few hours but it would not work. The internet was working fine all this time but suddenly and without warning the internet stopped working again but not only that the router was unresponsive to login attempts with the Genie or via the web browser. The only fix was to cold reboot again.

After leaving the router alone for the night, by this time I had configured and added the rest of my devices. The next morning I turned on my laptop and managed to use the internet for about 10 minutes, then the internet dropped out again and the router became unresponsive to login attempts again, yet another cold reboot. I tried setting up QoS again and lo and behold it now works, the speed test completed and the feature was enabled. I then tried to setup DDNS but again no joy there still and to this day still keeps reporting there is no internet when there is.
The Wifi signal strength is not what I would consider the best I have ever seen but it does make a reasonable improvement when compared to my TP Link W9980 this replaces, I do get better signal in some areas where it was weak but still in one problem area I get no signal at all. Placement of the router seems to make a difference too, I initially had it wall mounted but placing it flat on a shelf produced a better signal on both 2.4 and 5G. Throughput is acceptable for me and no problems in that department and much better for intensive streaming than the TP Link, videos start immediately and no random buffering.

The router dropping the internet connection and not responding to login still continues, as I write this it has done it again but this time it is reporting the internet is down but it is working fine but I am still unable to login. Another cold reboot was needed.
This kind of performance and reliability on a router of this price and spec is unacceptable, I really hope Netgear are aware of these problems and are working on a fix on the next firmware which can't come soon enough. I am not sure how long I will persevere with this router, the constant daily reboots for me makes me want to send this back and get a refund.

Just for the record I am using in the region of 25 to 30 devices with this router, a combination of wired (100Mb and Gigabit), 2.4G and 5G wireless. Internet is via BT VDSL2, the line and connection has no errors and is rock solid on my TP Link router.

Only 2 stars for this router at this time, only because the Wifi signal is slightly stronger. 5 stars when the instability issues are fixed.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2015 9:37 PM GMT

Stanley Aviation Snip - Straight    2-14-563
Stanley Aviation Snip - Straight 2-14-563

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 5 Jan. 2014
Excellent quality snips for the price, feel good in the hand and well made. Not much more to say about them.

Energenie Variable Run Down Timer
Energenie Variable Run Down Timer

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect item description, 5 Jan. 2014
Item received differs from that advertised. The one I got had far fewer timer options with only 4 options up to 8 hours, I needed the 10 hour option as advertised so this is useless to me. Item being returned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 12:17 PM BST

Pair of Xarus Floor Standing Speakers
Pair of Xarus Floor Standing Speakers

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 1 Dec. 2010
Fantastic big speakers for a low price, you really can't get much better than this for the money

The good points:

Seem to be well built on the whole and look nice, they come packaged in individual boxes with sufficient protection.
Sound quality is very good and not just for making noise they actually sound pretty hifi, they work well with all kinds of music but was especially surprised as to how nice they sounded with classical music with a lovely grand sound and reasonably detailed.

The bad points:

Build quality is let down by cheap flimsy speaker grilles which are difficult to get off without feeling like you are going to break them, once off the speakers look better anyway unless you like the black monolith look. Also they use cheap nasty bridging plates on the binding posts which don't fit very well if you are not bi-wiring the speakers.

It's also a shame that there are no protective feet of any kind supplied with the speakers to prevent damage to either the base of the speakers or the floor, I purchased some felt pads and stuck them on the bottom which work fine on my wood floor.

Overall conclusion:

The price at £150 is great for speakers of this size and performance but they do take a good few days to run in before the low bass starts to appear, be patient and you will be rewarded. For a party these will shake the house down but they seem to be reasonably refined enough to be classed as a hifi speaker. I use these on a Sony AV amp and I no longer need a subwoofer as the bass on these is just as good. Build quality is fine at this price point but I would be very disappointed if I had paid £450 for them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2012 2:21 PM GMT