Profile for Nancy > Reviews

Content by Nancy

Nancy (London, UK)

Eat. Nourish. Glow.: 10 easy steps for losing weight, looking younger & feeling healthier

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a previous reviewer, 5 Jan. 2015
Like a previous reviewer, I was disappointed at how few recipes were in the book. Amelia Freer is sensible to say there is no one diet that fits every body, and perhaps that's why she steered away from offering exact prescriptions on what to eat. The dietary advice is fine - though if you're interested in this sort of thing, you've probably heard most of it before. For me, the specifics were lacking; we all know to eat more vegetables, but it might have been nice to have some new ideas on how to cook them.

A Modern Way to Eat: Over 200 satisfying, everyday vegetarian recipes (that will make you feel amazing)

5.0 out of 5 stars but I love that it's also all created so it's ready within ..., 7 July 2014
I usually turn down the corners on the pages of recipes I plan to try but I had to stop halfway through browsing as I want to make them ALL. So far I've only made the huevos rancheros and the kale and black sesame sushi bowl, but I know that's just the start. Everything here feels fresh and light and inventive, but I love that it's also all created so it's ready within 30 minutes, and with minimal washing up. Can already tell this is going to be one of the most-used recipe books in my kitchen, next to Ottolenghi's Plenty.

Our Hearts Hang from the Lemon Trees: A family divided: France, London and the Secrets in Between

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant memoir, 14 Aug. 2013
I loved this elegantly written and intelligent family memoir, not least because it brought back memories of a visit to Antibes many years ago. The slow revelation of the family secrets reminded me of Edmund de Waal's The Hare With Amber Eyes, in that the story could have been sensationalised, but is all the better for the author's restraint. Fascinating and very moving.

Yours Truly: The perfect laugh out loud romantic comedy
Yours Truly: The perfect laugh out loud romantic comedy

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly great, 11 July 2012
Oh I enjoyed this so much - it fulfilled all my criteria for a chicklit read. Funny, likeable heroine, gorgeous setting (I would move to Little Trooley this instant if I could), swoonsome hero, and a happy ending that is as plausible as it is pleasing. I read the entire book through in one very rainy afternoon, and wholeheartedly recommend it.

I Remember You
I Remember You
by Harriet Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: I Remember You (Hardcover)
Happiness is a free afternoon, a box of rose and violet creams from Hope and Greenwood, and a fat new novel from my favourite author. One of the real pleasures of this book is that as well as the romance and humour you expect of Harriet Evans, I Remember You is also a charming education in the city and history of Rome. It's all lightly done and effortlessly woven into the narrative, but I came away feeling I'd really learned something - and longing to go to Rome myself. Tess Tennant has left London for a new life in her childhood village of Langford (think Cranford - all doilies and tourists and rustic bliss), where she's taken up a new post as Classical Civilization tutor at the local adult education college. While Tess captivates her students with stories of ancient Rome, she struggles to settle back into country life, where everyone in the local pub knows exactly what you have, or haven't, been up to. Thank goodness for Adam, the local lothario, and her oldest friend. By the time Tess's course culminates in a week in Rome, she's in need of an escape from her middle-aged students, and she finds one in a passionate affair. But she has to go home in the end and, when she does, old secrets have begun to unravel, drawing her far away from her Roman holiday and back into her Langford past. Clear your diary and prepare to devour this in one sitting.

Not Untrue and Not Unkind
Not Untrue and Not Unkind
by Ed O'Loughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 4 Aug. 2009
I'm not sure I'd have read this had it not been for the Booker longlisting, as I found the jacket drab and the title didn't grab me (it turns out to be a quote from a Philip Larkin poem). But I found this a quite astonishing first novel - as accomplished a book as you'd expect from any of the writers with whom he shares the Booker Prize longlist. Since I finished it I can't stop thinking of Owen Simmons, and the team of cynical, war-weary foreign correspondents with whom he chases conflict in late 1990s Africa. The book is dark and furious; there's no redemptive happy ending, no heroics (at least, when people act like heroes, it's usually from distinctly unheroic motives), and the African conflict is an integral part of the narrative, and not just the backdrop for the lives of glamorous Europeans. It's as complex and messy as the country it describes, shot through with mordant humour, and written in the most beautiful prose. Not an easy read, but a rewarding one that will stay with you for a long time.

The Love of Her Life
The Love of Her Life
by Harriet Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved The Love of Her Life, 7 July 2008
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I had this on pre-order from Amazon as I'd loved GOING HOME and HOPELESS ROMANTIC, but this is definitely Harriet Evans's best novel yet. It's as witty and warm as her debut, as romantic as her second, but somehow this is more accomplished and grown-up. I even cried.

Kate is living in New York & running from her past. Something made her flee her former life in London three years ago, and The Love of Her Life takes you back to find out why. The flashbacks to 'This Life' era London are brilliantly done - they start as light nostalgia for those post-university entry level job days & before long you're utterly gripped as you race to the end to find out what went so horribly wrong.

Despite Evans's trademark humour, it's a heartwrenching read at times, so thank goodness for the happy (but not implausible) ending. I'm putting her next novel on pre-order right now.