Profile for M. Dowle > Reviews

Content by M. Dowle

M. Dowle (San Francisco)

Nextbase Click & Go Click 9 Lite Duo Twin Screen Portable DVD Player with Car Safe Stanchion Mounting System

2.0 out of 5 stars They're good for 6 months then break, 30 Nov. 2014
We've had this system for 3 years. It lasts 6 months then breaks and we've had to replace 3 times. The metal contacts between the screen and the mount are badly designed (IMO) in that the metal lugs press against the contacts. These bounce around with the car vibrations and work loose over time. The 2nd screen is especially unreliable. They're good for 6 months then break. It isn't just a one-off fault because of the repeated replacements.

Suspect the positive reviews are from people who've had the product a month or two. They don't last.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2015 12:39 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy for wooden frames, but simply use better screws, 26 Aug. 2013
I ordered 3 of these and just installed on to wooden window frames. Very pleased and have just ordered 2 more. The only thing is that the screws supplied have quite thin threads (the threads aren't deep to grip into the wood). The screws are long enough though. This isn't a problem with the two screws that point down into the fixed part of the frame as the force is perpendicular. But the screws into the window itself are in the same direction as the force a child would push and I can easily imagine the (supplied) screws being pulled out. Especially if you drill a pilot hole too large that doesn't take this into account.

Simple solution: use two better screws with deeper threads in the part that fixes to the moving window. Or perhaps just do not drill a pilot hole. Other than the supplied screws, the design and construction seems solid to me.

Zeo Sleep Manager (fka Personal Sleep Coach)
Zeo Sleep Manager (fka Personal Sleep Coach)

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it leaves red blotches on your forehead., 26 April 2011
I saw the other single negative review "burnt my head" but tried the product anyway. Unfortunately, he was right. "Burnt" is a bit strong, but it certainly left red blotches on my forehead. These dissipated after about 24 hours but I can't go to work with red marks on my forehead! I don't think it's the electricity or anything, just the way the pads on the headband contact with the skin, I guess. I did persist with as loose a setting possible; the unit gathered data fine but still left marks.

I have returned for a refund. It's a shame as otherwise it looks like a great idea. I hope the manufacturer improves the design of the headband and I'll try it again when they do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2011 4:52 PM BST

Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6731/02 HealthyWhite Deluxe Rechargeable Toothbrush
Offered by Megga Distribution

1.0 out of 5 stars Mode selection drives me crazy. Infuriating!, 18 Jun. 2010
I bought it for the 'clean and white' mode. Thats what I want every single time. It should just remember the last mode it was in, right? No. It always starts in clean-only mode. The only way to change the mode is when its on and in your mouth (otherwise toothpaste flies everywhere), by pressing the button twice. You have to remember, and it doesn't always respond. Sometimes you might accidentally press 3 times, or just once. How does it confirm which mode you're in? By a light on the handle. But its difficult to see the light when its in your mouth and you're supposed to be diligently moving it around your teeth !! So the first 10 seconds are wasted pressing twice and making sure its changed mode correctly.

If you don't press twice at the start, correctly, then the first you know is at the end of 2 minutes when the 30 seconds extra whitening phase doesn't start. But then you're done and its too late. Pressing on again starts at the beginning of a new 2 minute clean. Infuriating!

Why on earth they didn't just make the mode stick in the last mode it was used? Its not rocket science.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 10:11 AM BST

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Check your WiFi strength first. Battery is +50euro., 29 Oct. 2009
My previous kitchen radio died so I took opportunity to think about streaming music collection around house - something I've been meaning to do for a while.

The LCD screen makes all the difference compared to other products with squashed and limited displays. It displays album and track info neatly along with album/radio art. Its easy to setup preset radio stations, music collection etc. In fact I haven't needed to read the instruction manual. There is no need at all for FM/DAB/SD card or CDs. Its simple and easy and just what we wanted. The sound quality is excellent.

WiFi signal ... we use it in the kitchen where we hadn't used wifi before. We discovered we have weak wifi strength (less than 30%) in some parts of the kitchen. This is easy to check under the diagnosis menu on the radio. I found all of the connection/buffering problems so far were due to wifi strength (not the hardware or software) as the radio always works quickly and robustly when its next to our router which is upstairs and at the other end of the house (100% wifi strength). There is lots of information on the web about ways to boost the signal around your house and after trying the quick and free methods first, we have ordered a 'plug-in' additional WiFi point which relays the signal over the mains supply to the kitchen (Netgear WGXB102). We have a victorian terraced house with thick solid walls, and this type of house is troublesome for WiFi. If you are concerned about this possible extra cost then see if you can use another device (e.g. laptop) to check the WiFi signal in the locations you want to put the radio, before you buy. I don't mind at all and it still gets 5 stars without hesitation. *UPDATE* WiFi extender arrived and works fine. We can use the radio anywhere in the kitchen now and in the garden too.

The product is expensive but it is worth it. *UPDATE* - battery seems finally to be available (June 2010) direct from Logitech. However it is an additional 50 euro! I reduced from 5 to 3 for this reason. Its summer and we want to take it in the garden. It was already expensive and 50 euro for a battery just seems over the top.

Tip: Rather than switching on and then pressing play, you can just press play when the unit is off. The presets also work when the unit is off which is great. Just an example of user friendly it is and how much effort they put into reducing the number of button presses to do things.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2009 2:11 PM GMT

Roberts RDK-2 Portable Stereo
Roberts RDK-2 Portable Stereo

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but annoying interface, 22 Oct. 2009
1. As has been said by others the SD card is a great idea BUT all your files have to be in one folder called RADIO. The display says something like "VARTRA01.MP3" i.e. the old 8.3 DOS file names you can't change (or at least I only know how to change the long filenames on the PC). You can only scroll (slowly) through each track one by one. There is no way to skip to the next album. I phoned Roberts and confirmed these points are correct. Also when you switch off and on again later, it starts playing from the first track on the SD, not where you left off. Fine if you always want to listen to the same tracks in the same order!

2. The DAB stations take 3-4 seconds to tune in each time, even though each is on a preset and we have almost perfect DAB reception according to the radio itself.

3. The buttons don't always respond and you have to press them again to get a response. The buttons are wipe clean flat surface - good idea for the kitchen but in practice they don't always respond. To be fair, when I phoned Roberts they said it sounded like mine might be faulty.

4. The way it fixes under the cupboard is a good idea as you can adjust to fit flush so there are no gaps for dirt to build up in. However it slightly rocks when you press the buttons due to the way the fixing is designed. An easy fix though would be to glue it in position to stop the slight rocking.

We have returned the product as it was too annoying to put up with.

Isis Adventure Puzzle Ball
Isis Adventure Puzzle Ball

1.0 out of 5 stars No mention of hidden further £5 charges, 16 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Isis Adventure Puzzle Ball (Toy)
I just bought this for my Dad. There were no instructions in the box other than a website link. He went online, registered and obtained his first "free clue" : "open the ball to obtain the key", or similar. Thats it. To get a second clue, you have to pay £5. Hm. Its early days, and its possible he has missed something, but be warned that there appear to be some hidden further costs with this puzzle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2007 5:37 PM GMT

BT Studio 3100 Twin DECT Telephone
BT Studio 3100 Twin DECT Telephone

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor line quality, 9 Dec. 2007
We line quality keeps flipping between ok one minute, to very poor interference the next minute. We've tried moving the base unit all over the house, the interference still occurs even when we are next to the base unit. There don't appear to be any options or settings available to try different frequencies, apparently the DECT is supposed to be crystal clear quality, but not on this phone!
The interference takes the form of hissing in the background, it is very difficult to carry on a conversation.
Its quite a cheap for 2 phone's (we paid £30) and I would recommend buying something more expensive. It seems you get what you pay for.