Profile for Mr. N. M. Coster > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. M. Coster

Mr. N. M. Coster "Neil" (London)

Blades Business Crew: The Inside Story of a Football Hooligan Gang
Blades Business Crew: The Inside Story of a Football Hooligan Gang
by Paul Heaton

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp account of Football violence, 16 Feb. 2012
This is without too much opposition one of the top three books of this genre (and I own them all!)

It's very honest and Steve is as quick to tell you about him being turned over as he is to claim a result, which with other books simply doesn't happen. The other good thing about this book is that he works in lots of cultural references to the whole Casual football scene, such as the music, clothes and how these things had an affect. This makes for a more interesting read that 'And 300 of us turned up in a boozer and smashed em', and then the old bill turned up!'

Tottenham Massive
Tottenham Massive
by Trevor Tanner

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst of it's Genre, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Tottenham Massive (Paperback)
I love casual football culture and have an abundance of books about Hooliganism, Fashion and the music associated with the scene.
Tottenham Massive is without any doubt, the very worst book that I've ever read on football hooliganism.
I don't doubt that Trevor Tanner is very well respected and alot of what he said is indeed, the truth. However, the whole book appears to have been written by a 5 year old child and isn't even a decent piece of literature and thats before we start to compare it to other 'Hoolie' books.
If you are new to Casual culture books I'd reccommend the BBC book by Steve Cowens, the Luton MIGS book by Tommy Robinson or even Scally by Andy Nicholls, all of which are well written. They also tell a balanced tale of up's and downs, becaused if you believe Mr. Tanner none of the firm that he was the head of have ever been run and/or attacked in any fashion, which anyone knows simply cannot be the case.
The only real positive is that it takes about 10 minutes to read..........Every silver cloud and all that!

Black Water: By Strength and By Guile
Black Water: By Strength and By Guile
by Don Camsell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - But I've read better, 4 May 2009
This was an entertaining read by a guy who was obviously a very dedicated soldier. I did at times get a little bored as he spent most of his time talking about training op's, although it was redeemed by the chapter on the falklands.
I have alot of respect for the SBS but find their books alot less interesting that the SAS variants, and I do tire of the constant slagging off of the SAS (although I'm sure they feel it's justified).
However it was an easy read and I did enjoy certain aspects, it's worth a go if you are into this genre of books.

Hunted: A True Story of Survival
Hunted: A True Story of Survival
by David Fletcher

2.0 out of 5 stars Need something to help you sleep?, 20 Oct. 2007
Having read a few books on Grizzly bears I was really looking forward to thumbing through this one.......I needn't have been.

It bored me to tears, he flannels on, for pages on end spouting endless climbing terminology, that nobody outside of the climbing community will understand let alone care about.
If this story did indeed happen, he is a brave guy, but to actually get to the interesting material in this book you'll find yourself skimming page after page of usless, tear enducing cobblers.

I was gutted, I wanted more, but got less.

Israel and Palestine: Why They Fight and Can They Stop?
Israel and Palestine: Why They Fight and Can They Stop?
by Bernad Wasserstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Very informative...., 7 Dec. 2005
I was looking for something which hit me with the basic concepts of this whole conflict, which in a way this book did.

However intertwined with that is an incredible amount of detail, some of which is necessary and some which I got lost in quite frankly.

You have to be on the ball to pick out the main points as to the source of the current situation, but I would suggest that there must be a better publication for:
'giving it to you straight'.
This is perhaps for the more informed commentator.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Alex Haley

4.0 out of 5 stars The autobiography of Malcolm X, 4 Sept. 2002
I read this book out of sheer curiosity and really enjoyed it... although I didn't always agree with his views, he was obviously a very intelligent and passionate man. Infact his story is a real rise and fall account. The latter stages of a book are written by a man who knew he was going to be die by the hands of people he had onced loved, but stood by his convictions until the end.
Love him or hate him, in some way or another you have to respect him.