Profile for Nickmit > Reviews

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants
David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell

5.0 out of 5 stars This review does not damn with faint praise, 9 Oct. 2013
This is the first book review I've ever forwarded to Amazon; as a busy CEO of a performance-improvement business I have little time to do spare on such things normally. I am therefore not a 'professional reviewer' with aspirations to become as renowned as the author, neither do I wish to use the platform of a review to demonstrate how clever I am or how many associated works I have read, in some way diminishing the author's innovative work. I have done so simply because, having devoured and reflected on this book over a few days (as with all Malcolm's others, which I've bought in numbers for my people) I found it absolutely inspirational in adjusting my thinking in several key areas. Having read the first few reviews, I felt moved to give it the unqualified praise and admiration I feel it deserves. It is to me is the best book I've read for years (and I am looking at 200+ now in my office). Its key messages have application to so many of us in so many ways. For example, as someone integrally involved with education and training for 30 years, the insights about class size accords with our own experiential discoveries and should be informative to educators generally. The big pond little fish insight will halp many undergrads to focus on the most appropriate University for them personally. The insights about the legitimacy of authority, whether relating to policing (Brownsville), the military (Northern Ireland) or the justice system (California)should be informative to everyone involved in these activities, and especially those responsible for policy-setting -the essence of each being that humans are more influenced in decision-making by innate emotions than rational thought (as neuroscience has been discovering in recent years). A truth which is all too often completely ignored. The theory of desirable difficulty as applied to dyslexia will help me empathise with employees who have that disadvantage, perhaps by making their assignments harder to read, which I now see will improve their attention and outputs! All in all, this is a truly compelling read for anyone willing to look at apparently counter-intuitive ideas and open to adjusting their thinking as a result - surely the unique genius in all Malcolm Gladwell's books. Malcolm - come to the UK and speak to our policy-makers!!

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Gladwell is a genius, 9 Aug. 2010
Malcolm Gladwell is uniquely gifted in being able to first identify common assumptions and beliefs of social importance that are in fact questionable, then to make inspired connections that build a case for a contrarian perspective, and finally to present the evidence in a totally compelling, non-patronising and inspirational way. I have now bought 14 copies of Outliers for family and friends. Anyone with half a brain and an enquiring mind must read it. What a xmas present it makes! And, by the way, his latest book - 'What the dog saw' is just as inspirational - a fantastic expose of error and misunderstanding on matters of huge significance. We should treasure visonaries and communicators like Malcolm Gladwell.