Profile for Captain Rum > Reviews

Content by Captain Rum

Captain Rum

Page: 1 | 2
Andrew James 15 Bar Pump Barista Coffee Maker For Professional Espressos Lattes And Cappuccinos At Home

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be taken in be in like I was stay clear, 15 Oct. 2017
I ordered this machine in February of this year 2017. Now it's October and it's completely packed up. I'd read some reviews prior to buying this machine and I wish I had taken note of the reports at the time. It's not worth the money. I have used the machine once a day so not heavy use. First the frother packed up quickly followed the drip mechanism. I have suspected that there is an internal leak that has corroded the motor. Don't be taken in be in like I was stay clear.

The Last Crusade
The Last Crusade

2.0 out of 5 stars But this is jingoistic crap. It's laughable enough to be read, 25 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Last Crusade (Kindle Edition)
I'm not from the USA, and I know it's a spoof story. But this is jingoistic crap. It's laughable enough to be read, just to find what is the next ridiculous claim.

Revenger
Revenger
by Alastair Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story by one of the Masters, 22 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Revenger (Hardcover)
Excellent story by one of the Masters. No jingoism that is infecting many of the SF books currently being churned out. I found that this story was one I couldn't put down very easily. A good read recommended

Towards Infinity: The Creators
Towards Infinity: The Creators

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying to say the least, 24 Aug. 2016
Probably one of the worst books I have ever read or tried to. Not because of the story but the way it is written. The author has a habit of calling the characters "the Man" or "the woman" instead of calling them by their characterisation. When in situations where there are multiple characters conversing it becomes on occasion hard to follow who is doing or saying what. He also keeps using the word Interlocutor, which means the other person in a conversation. Trying to follow what is going on in these conversations is difficult which is a shame because the basic story has merit. However it does ramble quite a bit. Also there's some essence of Yoda. This story if re-written and condensed could do O.K. perhaps a bit more editorial control would help the author. In the end I dumped the story as it was becoming irritating

The Ember War (The Ember War Saga Book 1)
The Ember War (The Ember War Saga Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars but not bad. I will get the next book, 6 Dec. 2015
Only just started the story, but it thumps along. So far enjoyable characters a bit too vacuous, but not bad. I will get the next book.
Comment Comment | Permalink

First Activation (The Activation Series Book 1)
First Activation (The Activation Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's easy to read nothing special or technical, 24 April 2015
Not finished yet, but the plot is predictable. I am enjoying the story. It's easy to read nothing special or technical. Will while away a few hours on a train or plane. Not bad at all and I have already pre-ordered the next instalment.

The First Exoplanet
The First Exoplanet

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, one of the best I've read in years, 21 Feb. 2015
At last some really plausible Sci Fi . Near future events, though I would have to say as a slight aside, the development of FTL by humans is a bit too soon with our technology as it is now. So I'm taking it as a new breakthrough in Physics.
I'ts also refreshing to have the characters from across the world and not just from the USA, where Italians, Swedes, French, New Zealanders are part of the action.

This book is one of the most enjoyable Sci FI books I've read in many years, and I've been reading SCi Fi for over 50 years. The book is excellent, readable it flows and I could not put it down for long.

If this is the standard of T.J. Sedgwick then he has a good future in front of him. This book is so good it has the potential to be an excellent film. I can't wait for the next installment Vasell Planet

Their Darkest Hour
Their Darkest Hour

3.0 out of 5 stars This whole story has been ruined by the authors own ..., 3 Sept. 2014
This whole story has been ruined by the authors own political agenda. I thought it was written by a member of the Teaparty or UKIP. Anything to do with the NHS, BBC or any other governmental organization is denigrated from the outset as being Hysterical, Shoddy or Third rate. Civil Servants are vilified as collaborators with no explanation as to why. Even the invading Aliens are overseen by The State.

The author has potential to create settings that are not in the U.S.A. which to me is refreshing, so I hope he tightens up his writings and the publishers point out that the author is writing SciFi and not a Political Manifesto. The author should go on to be a popular writer. I will finish the story but I am now on the look out with each turn of the page for some additional attack on U.K. institutions which detracts from what could have been a reasonable story.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2014 3:44 PM BST

Moon Wreck: Revelations (Moon Wreck series Book 2)
Moon Wreck: Revelations (Moon Wreck series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy Read, 29 July 2014
A nice read, this series will hold your attention with all of the characters involved. The downside is that the author is apt to repeat his descriptions and repeat already established scenarios. This I find irritating, I don't recall how many times the"Blue White Vortex Opened". It would enable the flow of the story if just "The Vortex Opened". But that is a minor quibble and perhaps I'm the only one who finds it irritating. But slowly the characters are becoming established and they are not super heroes. They are plausible and this I find encouraging by the author. Who I hope will continue with the series or at least carry on with the style he has adopted.

The War of 2083
The War of 2083

4.0 out of 5 stars A military romp(yomp) but too much technology, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The War of 2083 (Kindle Edition)
The story rips along and is not boring, but it's overly military technical. It does read like an arms catalogue in places. There are no real depth of characters. So far I'm 85% through the story and am concluding the outcome as a re run of the real conflict, however I may be completely surprised. But I am enjoying it far more than I thought but being a Brit it is from a position of I want my team to win.

Page: 1 | 2