Profile for Jean Gibson > Reviews

Content by Jean Gibson

Jean Gibson (Northern Ireland)

Killer's Cross (The DI Shona McKenzie Mysteries Book 3)
Killer's Cross (The DI Shona McKenzie Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read, 24 Feb. 2016
Another great crime mystery from Wendy Jones! The accumulation of murders is lightened by the sharp wit of DI Shona McKenzie and the entertaining relationships between the key players. Like others, I thought this was the best one yet - perhaps because I have come to know and love the characters as the series has developed. Roll on number four!

When We Can't, God Can: Encounters with the God of the impossible
When We Can't, God Can: Encounters with the God of the impossible

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Catherine Campbell’s latest book has been waiting in the ..., 23 Feb. 2016
Excellent

Catherine Campbell’s latest book has been waiting in the pile of ‘to read’ books by my bed for a few months now. When I eventually picked up ‘When We Can’t, God Can’ I expected to be blessed and I was not disappointed. Beautifully written, carefully researched and sensitively challenging, this book will keep you hooked as you follow one story after another, through Bible times and contemporary situations. If like me you move it from your ‘to read’ list, you will be adding it to your ‘blessings’ list.

Time to Shine
Time to Shine

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enthralling Mystery, 13 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Time to Shine (Kindle Edition)
This is an enjoyable and enthralling story of counsellor Evie Adams and her client Julia. The interweaving of their lives leads to the development of both characters as the plot unfolds and Julia is bombarded by threats to her marriage and teenage children. Mel Menzies writes with an insight and empathy that engaged me from the outset and kept me hooked to the final page. I look forward to the next Evie Adams mystery!

The Sixty Minute Family: An Hour To Transform Your Relationships Forever
The Sixty Minute Family: An Hour To Transform Your Relationships Forever
by Rob Parsons

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Comprehensive, 30 Mar. 2010
This is another excellent book in Rob Parson's Sixty Minute series. It has all the usual attributes we have come to expect - it's supremely readable, its concise format meaning it can indeed be read in 60 minutes. Rob writes with his usual wisdom, honesty and humour, encouraging us all in the complexities of our family life. The difference this time is the comprehensive content of the book, focusing on the importance of the parents' relationship with each other as well as with their children. I particularly like the Action Points at the end of each chapter. Read, enjoy and recommend to all your friends!

Teenagers! What Every Parent Has to Know
Teenagers! What Every Parent Has to Know
by Rob Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Reassuring!, 7 Jun. 2007
To any parents who are struggling through the teenager years - grab this book now! Having read all the Parsons books, I knew it would be good but this one is probably going to top the list with parents. Having emerged slightly the worse for wear from this stage of parenting myself, I appreciated the opening message "It's Normal!" and the theme of reassurance for both parent and teenager that runs through the book. The fascinating statistics are well researched and the explanation of how brain development affects teenage behaviour is particularly interesting. Stressed parents everywhere will appreciate the keys for dealing with the really testing teenager and identify with the stories of those going through so many of the same situations as themselves.

This book is informative, helpful and encouraging - yet another success for Rob Parsons.