Profile for Gripper > Reviews

Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars At last. Another Metallica album I want to buy, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Death Magnetic (Audio CD)
Superb. Love this album. Love the fact the songs are so long.

I bought this album on the strength of 'All Nightmare Long' which I had heard on an internet radio station. I'm not American so use the word 'Awesome' very, very sparingly. However, that is the word I would use the describe this song. It may not be as good as their best ever songs 'One', 'Damage inc' etc but it's so very close. I have listened to it a hundred times already and just love it.

The album is just way more intense than their previous half dozen offerings.

The last 30 secs of 'That was just your life' is such a beautiful sound to listen to and 'Broken, Beat & Scarred' reminds me of Slayers 'Dead Skin Mask'.

Beyond Magnetic
Beyond Magnetic

3.0 out of 5 stars Death Magnetic B tracks, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Beyond Magnetic (Audio CD)
My title sums up my views on this album. I had become very bored with Metallica after their 'Metallica' album. Megadeth was the way forward for me. Always a shame though cos Metallica's first few albums were definitely something to behold. Still, I guess it's impossible to keep producing such world class material time and time again.

Although I very much enjoy listening to Beyond Magnetic, 'Hate Train' and 'Hell And Back' uses what I call 'stuttering guitar'/'stuttering drums'. This is especially evident every time Hetfield sings the line "Hell and back". I personally absolutely loath this technique to the point where I feel like I'm actually being taken to hell, tortured and then brought back only to be taken there again the next time the line "hell and back" is sung. This musical technique just seems so crass and completely destroys the flow of a song.

The best of these songs is worse than the worse song on Death Magnetic. Still, they're a lot better than previous albums.