Profile for Frank Gerschwiler > Reviews

Content by Frank Gerschwiler

Frank Gerschwiler (West London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide, 1913
Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide, 1913
by George Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars The last pre war guide - when rail travel was possibly at its peak., 25 May 2016
Now I can pretend to be Michael Portillo although of course he has an original copy not a reprint.
The significance of the date is explained in the introduction to each Great Continental Railway Journeys No one could know that shortly our way of life was about to change forever The era of the de-luxe train ceased when war broke out in 1914. After the war some trains were re-routed to avoid Germany eg Simplon Orient Arlberg Orient. Then just as things were improving and Europe was climbing out of recession there was a second world war from which luxury train travel never fully recovered not helped by the advent of jet travel package tours etc. In the end operators like SNCF just wanted to get rid of slow moving trains with aged rolling stock eg D262 Orient Express Night Ferry which got in the way of TGVs.
Now trains are functional and soulless.

Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Corsair = top grade memory but one should still check compatibility before purchse, 25 May 2016
Computer memory is a tricky matter. In the past I have tried using memory which appeared to fit the spec and was cheaper than the "official" memory from the pc supplier - only to find that it did not work. So it is essential to check that the memory has been tested with the intended motherboard/processor - if not I would always follow the pc producer's advice and recommendations rather than try and save a bit of money by buying an alternative source which appears to satisfy all the requirements density (eg 2gigabit/4gigabit) voltages etc etc only to find it will not work. Corsair is a highly respected producer of memory (possibly the best) but I still needed to check before purchase that it would work in my system because it would be an expensive mistake.

Pullman Profile No 4: The Brighton Belle and Southern Electric Pullmans
Pullman Profile No 4: The Brighton Belle and Southern Electric Pullmans
by Antony Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book of the electric Pullmans, 25 May 2016
I seem to recall that Sir Lawrence Olivier was one of the regular patrons of the Brighton Belle. Once again with Profile No 4 a huge amount of information that appears thoroughly researched supported by numerous great illustrations. these series of books on the Pullmans by Antony Ford have set standards that make all other books on pullmans almost obsolete - although I am not going to part with my George Behrend books... Now if Mr Ford could do the same for Wagons Lits rolling stock ?????

HP Envy Phoenix h9-1330ea Desktop PC (Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz, 6GB RAM, 2TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD7770, DVD-RAM, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great spec plus performance - and compact size case too, 25 May 2016
I have commented elsewhere on a Gamers Case in which I mentioned the importance of a good motherboard. The HP Envy has a great spec but is let down by a mediocre and non standard size motherboard (to fit in the small case) and when I had trouble with that it was the end of the Envy Phoenix. However my friend followed my example and bought an Envy Phoenix not long after me and his computer is still happily whirring away so maybe it was me...

8 Plank Fixed End Wagon 'Isleworth Coal'
8 Plank Fixed End Wagon 'Isleworth Coal'

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and accurate private owner wagon, 25 May 2016
Living a mile or two from Isleworth and having learned to drive there I thought it would be fun to have this colourful wagon - a reminder of the old days of heating homes - and of the distribution of coal by private owner wagons. I often wondered how long a wagon was away before it returned home... Now of course burning coal or any form of carbon is a bad thing.....
Bachmann produce the most accurate and detailed coal wagons of any model manufacturer in my opinion with no compromise eg some manufacturers produce the brake hanger as a flat moulding flush with the wagon side to save a bit of money whereas Bachmann have the correct hanger sticking out proud of the body as per prototype.

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (32GB,45Mbps)
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (32GB,45Mbps)
Offered by MemoryLab

5.0 out of 5 stars Large in storage capacity small in size and cost, 25 May 2016
This is quite fast at 45MB/s but advisable if using a camera with motor drive or camcorder with full HD. It is faster than needed for many of my uses but it means I can swap it around between devices without having to worry if it is fast enough.
SanDisk secure digital cards have not let me down so far and the larger capacity SD cards are getting so cheap - there is no excuse for not backing up data..
I am finding that SD and in particular micro SD cards are the simplest and most universal way of moving data between smart phones, tablets and other hand held devices , netbooks, and of course pcs. and have largely replaced my USB "dongles".

Now That's What I Call Music! 40
Now That's What I Call Music! 40
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance The Night Away with NOW 40, 25 May 2016
Having bought Now That's What I Call Music 1,2,3,4 some time ago I thought I should update to include more recent music since we were having a Diamond Jubilee street party. So I acquired Now 38 to 45.a cost effective way of getting a lot of well known tracks at a reasonable price. my favourite track remains Dance The Night Away - Mavericks from 1998 on NOW 40 a real party tune. They are still around following splits and reunions

Antec Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gamer Case with no PSU for Complete Customisation

5.0 out of 5 stars The three critical components for build your own pc a good case/motherboard/power supply, 25 May 2016
This has been a good well made - well ventilated case with large quiet fans. I installed an Ivybridge i5 AsusP8V77 Pro motherboard and processor with Corsair PSU Radeon HD 7770 graphics card which I felt provided a good balance between cost and performance. When buying an off the shelf pc I had neglected to check the motherboard out being influenced by the inclusion of a good graphics card (in fact the HD7770) etc (HP Phoenix Envy pc) good spec for the price including a decent graphics card . Then I found the reason why it was such a good price - it had a moderate quality motherboard which eventually gave me trouble. The Antec then became my main pc dual booting XP Win7 Win8.1 I learned not to economise with a cheap motherboard. the same goes for the case. I now start with a decent case a decent motherboard and a good quality power supply to protect the system. If money is short a cheap graphics card can be used as a temporary solution - and using the on-board HD audio and basic memory It is simple to upgrade these later plus extra memory.

Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin StreetPilot 2820

5.0 out of 5 stars faithful service over many years, 25 May 2016
Well this goes back a long way. I used it for many years with very few problems driving round UK and Europe but eventually replaced it with a Tom Tom 6100 in the past year which had a larger screen and world wide maps - already used widely driving 30-40000 miles around Australasia - great spec (free lifetime traffic and map updates) BUT NOT as reliable as the Garmin 2820

HP Original LaserJet Black Laser Toner Cartridge Q6511X (11X)
HP Original LaserJet Black Laser Toner Cartridge Q6511X (11X)
Offered by eurosale-net

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe in using original inks with printers, 25 May 2016
I am a bit old fashioned in that I try to use OEM inks with each printer especially colour. . They are more expensive than the cheaper alternatives. But you get what you pay for. A lot of work has gone into producing inks and toners that give good results on the correct paper and are durable ie do not fade etc I also feel that cheaper inks are likely to have cheaper ingredients with the risk that printer head nozzles may clog up if not regularly used.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5