Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More
Profile for Gummy > Reviews

Content by Gummy

Gummy

Creating a Web Site: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
Creating a Web Site: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by Matthew MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 8 July 2011
This book is brilliant if you are totally new to creating a website. You do not need to be a computer whizz to follow the chapters. I did not really know what html was before picking up this book but I had created my first webpage (albeit very basic) within a couple of hours of receiving the book. Don't get me wrong... you're not going to be able to create a decent looking website immediately after reading the book but it does give a good overview of all the main considerations.

I tried to figure out how to create a website from reading through numerous things on various websites but none of the information was a clearly set out as in this book. It's written in plain English.

If I had one tiny problem with it, it would be that the book focuses a lot on how to create websites using either Dreamweaver or Expression (expensive text editors that the beginner would not necessarily have). I would have liked to see more advice on how to use the free editors like NVU.

I now feel pretty confident in making my first website... and that is coming from someone who has only ever used WORD and EXCEL before!!!

The Financial Times Guide to Investing: The definitive companion to investment and the financial markets
by Glen Arnold

5.0 out of 5 stars CLEAR & CONCISE, 26 Sept. 2009
I wanted to start investing in the stock market but knew nothing about how to do so. I have no background in finance so I wanted a good understanding of money, markets, types of investments etc at a basic level... this book delivered that in the first few chapters.

As the book goes on, I found that the topics became gradually more difficult to comprehend as the topics become more complex but this is due to the subject matter, NOT the author. The author writes in a clear, concise way which suits beginners and i'm sure, more experienced investors.

The book explains the benefits of investing but it does not neglect to tell readers of the pitfalls. After reading this book I now feel informed and much more confident about investing my money.