Profile for Keith Hartwell > Reviews

Content by Keith Hartwell

Keith Hartwell "Beefy103" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Mr Unbelievable
Mr Unbelievable
by Chris Kamara

4.0 out of 5 stars A great footy read, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Mr Unbelievable (Paperback)
I saw Chris play for Brentford and Swindon. As I Brentford supporter I thought he was a thug for Swindon and a hero for the Bees. This book explains why I came to those conclusions. With a little insight into the workings of football, this is real good read. Kept me chuckling all the time. Don't let this one slip past.

Charlie Chaplin: The Circus [DVD]
Charlie Chaplin: The Circus [DVD]
Dvd ~ Merna Kennedy
Offered by afternoon-matinee

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 10 July 2013
I am a big fan of Charlie Chaplin so I was aware of this but hadn't seen it for years.
This is Charlie at his best. The subtle moves and the challenges he encounters, for example, he is constantly chased by a donkey. No reason, the donkey just doesn't like him! And of course when the chase happens it is unexpected and full on. The whole film is a masterpiece. A chance to watch an artist at work.

The Greatest Day In History: How The Great War Really Ended
The Greatest Day In History: How The Great War Really Ended
by Nicholas Best

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books written on history., 28 Jun. 2013
If all history books were written like this, there would be no problem in getting the subject digested by schoolchildren. Although we know what happened this turned out to be a real page turner. Nicholas Best has dug deep into the characters of the main players and researched this fascinating day to the ninth degree. There is also a lot of sympathy to be had for the Germans as the allies ground their faces into the dirt and made them fight and chase just to be able to accept the non conditional surrender. If you like Lyn MacDonald, trust me you will love this. Also read Nicholas Best's Trafalgar, another page turner and an understanding as to why Nelson was such a hero for this country.
[ASIN:029785190X The Greatest Day In History: How The Great War Really Ended] Trafalgar: The untold story of the greatest sea battle in history (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

The Tiger's Wife
The Tiger's Wife
by Tea Obreht

1.0 out of 5 stars Better things to do., 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Tiger's Wife (Paperback)
There are only about 4 books that I have never been able to complete and I am sorry to say this is one of them. It was suggested to me by a friend and she waited for my comments. When I told here I was completely lost between a tiger and digging in the orchid she understood and agreed that this was one complicated book.
I have to say I would rather crawl miles over broken glass that have to attempt to read this again. It really is that poor.

by Hugh Lloyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice memories, 22 Nov. 2012
This took me back to my chidhood when Hugh Lloyd was a familiar face on the TV. He was always in the good programmes that I enjoyed. Some good tales here about others that have passed, for example, Terry Scott. A nice read for those of a certain age!

Wagg Foods Ltd Wagg Mobility Sticks 120G
Wagg Foods Ltd Wagg Mobility Sticks 120G

5.0 out of 5 stars It does get tails wagging, 22 Nov. 2012
My dog, who must be said doesnt like the normal dry biscuit type of treat, absolutley loves these. And they are magic, as she will instantly sit for these without me asking!!!

His Way: The Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra
His Way: The Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra
by Kitty Kelley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Goes on...., 22 Nov. 2012
This is a bit of a slog to read only because of the detail, but don't let that put you off. It is a real eye opener. I was always aware that ole Frankie wasnt always the nicest of blokes, but, this really shows what a complete **** he was. I have wondered since whether the author had any comebacks from writing this book.

Vicar to Dad's Army: The Frank Williams Story
Vicar to Dad's Army: The Frank Williams Story
by Chris Gidney

5.0 out of 5 stars With the real Vicar., 23 Mar. 2012
Once I got started into reading this book it felt like I was listening to the real Vicar talking about his life across a table in a quiet snug pub. The fire would be lit, there would be snow outside, yet we would be comfy and warm inside listening to the little stories of his life. All this before we got to the part everyone wants - Dads Army.
Frank has had what I call a very simple life (not bothering to learn to drive because of his battles with anything mechanical as an example) but a greatly colourful, joyus and rewarding one.
I dont know what it is about Dads Army that strikes a cord with us British but read this and you will be striking the bells at St Aldhelms alongside the Vicar.

Oh, Yus, it's Arthur Mullard
Oh, Yus, it's Arthur Mullard
by Arthur Mullard

3.0 out of 5 stars Working man makes it., 30 May 2007
This is not a story of rags to riches but the story of someone who fought (literally as he was a boxer) to live and improve his life. Although well educated Arthur did struggle to survive but it soon dawned on him that his battered face wss his fortune although he never actually got a fortune.

He remained a working class man enjoying a pint or two at night in the local boozer while living at his council flat. He had periods of no work but was prudent to save money to get him over these times.

Basically written, you can almost hear him talking as you read. A decent read of a very original performer who sadly would not fit into todays comedy scene.

Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: True Stories of Survival From Men, Women and Children Who Were There
by Lyn Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond belief, 30 May 2007
How can any human treat another human in this fashion beggers belief. The lengths that the Germans would go to to carry out some of the most horrendous cruelty is incredible. One German office (so presumably a well educated man) offered a sweet to a small boy being held by his mother. He told the boy to open his mouth and when the lad did so he stuck his pistol into his mouth and pulled the trigger.

And this was typical and not that specially evil.

There is no shame in me telling you that I was moved to tears reading this book. However emotionally draining it may be, this book needs to be read.

Page: 1 | 2