Profile for Mr. P. F. Holttum > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. F. Holttum

Mr. P. F. Holttum "pholttum" (UK)

Christmas Carols
Christmas Carols
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing quality - do not bother, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Christmas Carols (MP3 Download)
I loved this album as a young teenager so the original must be 50 or 60 years old. I have my own digitised version taken from my late father's LP which I inherited. I thought this surprise google find would be an improvement - wrong. I had idly googled the choir name while listening as usual to my copy of it, and to my surprise it was in the amazon download catalogue in de and in uk amazon. Anyway there are blatant tracking errors. If they can't keep the needle in the groove for the transcript, it is not of merchantable quality and should not be sold. Incidentally there is no warning that this is such an old recording taken in an amateurish way from an old LP rather than a new mastered transcript.

Fritz 13 - Chess Playing and Analysis Program (PC-DVD)
Fritz 13 - Chess Playing and Analysis Program (PC-DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy nightmare, 14 Dec 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Fritz 13 - Chess Playing and Analysis Program (PC-DVD)I bought the Excalibur Fritz 13 version and it is an absolute nightmare.
Activation repeatedly failed - indeed it took several months before I could activate it successfully.
Having done so I ran the update option but this failed mid way through the setup.
I was left unable to use the program at all.
I am going back to my previous purchase from way back - Fritz 6 which works fine even after all these years.
Chessbase- you must have a death wish.
Not recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 10:34 AM GMT

The Spectator
The Spectator
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Spectator (Kindle Edition)
I have taken the Kindle version of the Spec for a month now, and cannot really fault it given the limitations of the Kindle format itself. I now much prefer Kindle format to the paper magazine - to which I also subscribed for many years before it was taken over by the neocons. I can't understand the references to the poor format, since the paper magazine has hardly any pictures. But I do miss the cartoons which do not appear. But to balance this, there are no ads. Highly recommended.

ACDSee Photo Manager 8
ACDSee Photo Manager 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since ACDSee 3.1, 25 Mar 2006
This review is from: ACDSee Photo Manager 8 (CD-ROM)
I have used this viewer for many years. V8 is the first worthwhile upgrade since 3.1, and it is very good indeed. It would be nearly perfect if it could more easily make pdf slideshow files for email directly, but there seems no way to include the captions. The .exe slideshow files it makes for emails are often rejected by recipients firewalls, even when zipped. But this is a problem with most other photo managers, most of which I have found dire. So I would recommend this upgrade - even to those who were losing faith in ACDSee

Scrabble 2003 Edition
Scrabble 2003 Edition
Offered by media-4-u
Price: 8.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful product in every way, 26 Dec 2003
This review is from: Scrabble 2003 Edition (Video Game)
This version is diabolical in every way.
Not at all user friendly, and crashes Windows XP if you have certain hardware.
Unfortunately the old (and much much better) US Gold version does not run in Windows XP.
Scrabble company would be better to start again from scratch. All the adverse comments in other reviews are more than justified.