Profile for Beth Litster > Reviews

The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home
The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home
by Tarek Malouf

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as earlier Hummingbird Cookbooks, 18 Jun. 2013
I bake at least 3-5 times a week. I am constantly asked to provide cakes, cupcakes, muffins, etc... for parties, school events and other gatherings. I always reach for the 2 previous Hummingbird Cookbooks when looking for inspiration. So, I was very excited when I saw this new cookbook.

Overall I am disappointed with the version. As other reviewers have said there are not many new recipes, just small tweaks and variations on favourites. But this thing is these small tweaks and variations do not work.

For at least 3 of the cakes the icing quantity produced was far to much icing and far to sweet. The amount of sugar used in many of the recipes is mind boggling. Many times, following the quantities suggested, I have fully iced a 3 layer cake and ended up with loads to throw away. The cakes are disappointing in flavour and originality.

I am beginning to become wary of reaching for this cookbook. As I cook more and more of the recipes I get the distinct feeling the the recipes weren't fully checked and tested before publication and it feels rush. Thus I am very disappointed with this Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.