Profile for A. Ashton > Reviews

Content by A. Ashton

A. Ashton (Sheffield, UK)

JBL On Stage IIIP Portable Loudspeaker Dock for iPod and iPhone 3G (Remote Control - Battery or A/C )

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for price but there are better, 5 Jan. 2011
This iPod dock is ok for the price, but the sound quality is not as good as my Klipsch iGroove HG which is only a little more money. The JBL sounds a little tinny and does not give the full-bodied, room-filling sound of the Klipsch. If you can afford the bit extra, go for Klipsch. Otherwise, the JBL is a good-looking dock and nice and compact - it fits comfortably on my bedside table, and the sound quality is good enough for the bedroom or office if you're not too fussy. The JBL says it is compatible with any iPod, but the adaptors provided do not include one for my iPod Nano 5th Generation. Even so, I can use it, it's just that my iPod doesn't sit so snuggly on the dock. Good remote giving you plenty of control, better than the Klipsch. The JBL comes with a nice soft carry bag if you want to travel with it, but be warned the batteries require 6 AA batteries rather than having a battery like a laptop that charges up as it's plugged in. Basically, if sound quality is your priority, this isn't the best buy. If you want something a bit cheaper, portable, small and with a good remote, the JBL is good enough.

Jamie's America
Jamie's America
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, gorgeous photos, very America!, 25 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Jamie's America (Hardcover)
If you love America, you'll love this book. It's a great cookery book, with so many mouth-watering recipes. But it's also lovely as a sort of coffee table book, with amazing photos and some lovely introductions to each chapter that really evoke the places and the people that have inspired the recipes. It's a pleasure to sit down with a cup of coffee and just read it and flick through it for an hour. I've made a few of the recipes so far, and they have all been delicious. This is not your mid-week quick fix sort of cooking, but food to take pleasure in thinking about and preparing when you've got that little bit more time. It's probably not the sort of cook book I'd cook from very often, but I'm very glad I bought it, it's lovely!

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Really comfortable, good quality sound, 7 Jan. 2010
I'm very happy with these in-ear headphones for my iPod. Generally, I find in-ear headphones really uncomfortable and they make my ears ache after about 20 minutes' wear. These ones, I can keep in for as long as I want (easily over an hour) without any discomfort, I'm pretty much unaware of them in my ears. They fit very snugly deep inside the ear (and I mean deep!), which is surprisingly comfortable, and cuts out external sound very effectively. The earphones come with small, medium and large pads which you can change to suit the size of your ear. The small ones give me a noticeably more comfortable fit and a better seal, meaning they stay put when I move my head! Because of the better noise performance, I am listening to my iPod with the volume at about half the level I needed it on with my earphones that came supplied with the iPod, but I'm hearing the same level of volume in my ears. In other words, to get the same amount of noise, I'm using a lot less volume, which I hear is better for your ears, and for your technical equipment! Win, win! I'm not very qualified to comment on sound quality, but to an ammateur listener, I'd say these provide good quality sound which picks up subtleties in the music I hadn't noticed before. I'd say they are slightly better in sound quality than the iPod earphones. The carry pouch they come with is also very useful to prevent tangling. Highly recommended if you want some good quality but affordable in-ear headphones that will be really comfortable.

EASYi - Black Pouch case for New iPod nano with camera 8GB 16GB 2009/10 Version
EASYi - Black Pouch case for New iPod nano with camera 8GB 16GB 2009/10 Version

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, quality product, 7 Jan. 2010
I really love this product and highly recommend it, especially for ladies who want something stylish and a little feminine to protect their iPod. This fits my iPod Nano 5th generation perfectly, very snug and safe. It is a thick, padded velvet pouch which will keep your iPod well protected. It's black on the outside, and a lovely cream velvet on the inside. The pouch closes with a little silky loop around a pearly graphite-coloured bead. It really is very stylish and looks gorgeous in my handbag! Great for if you don't want a high-tech, plastic sort of iPod protector. Though padded, it doesn't add a great deal of bulk to your iPod and still feels very sleek and petite. I disagree with the other review of this product on one point - I don't think the pouch is big enough to store your headphones too, but I don't mind that at all. Very highly recommended.

Nigella Express
Nigella Express
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars My most cooked from book!, 9 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Nigella Express (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book! It is an excellent resource for making good food, fast. It's a pleasure just to read, and the recipes are all the sorts of things you really want to cook and eat. I cook from this book more than any other recipe book in my collection, and use it frequently for mid-week meals after a long day, when I want something tasty to eat, but haven't got the time or energy to cook anything too complicated.

Covers a wide range of foods, from different cultures and for different meals, including breakfast, food on the go, plenty of chapters on meals you could make mid-week or the weekend, and special occasions.

My only criticism is that Nigella sometimes assumes we all have access to the wonderful food shops she must have in London, and some of her ingredients are a little 'out there'. She quite often writes, 'you should be able to find this in your local supermarket', and I have to admit to saying in my head 'have you tried shopping in Morrisons in Yorkshire for that, Nigella?' A minor niggle though, I would still recommend this book very highly.

Cosy Christmas with Teddy Bear: Board Book
Cosy Christmas with Teddy Bear: Board Book
by Jacqueline McQuade
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 9 Jan. 2009
This is, quite simply, a gorgeous book. The illustrations are delightful. Each page has a small amount of text, following teddy in the run-up to Christmas. It was a great book for telling my 3-year-old Goddaughter about the traditions children enjoy around Christmas time, such as decorating the Christmas tree and wrapping presents. Just perfect.

10 Minute Solution - Fat Blasting Dance Mix [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Fat Blasting Dance Mix [DVD]
Dvd ~ 10 Minute Solution

3.0 out of 5 stars High-energy workout more than fun dance session, 9 Jan. 2009
This is a very high-energy, fast-paced workout that falls somewhere between dance and aerobics.

If you are already in good shape and familiar with some dance moves, this is probably a great workout for you. It is highly paced so will challenge you plenty.

However, if you are a normal British woman who's looking to do something about post-Christmas pounds: beware! If you are a complete novice dancer or you are not very fit at the moment, this workout is really demanding. I have plenty of dance experience (albeit some time ago) but I struggled to follow the moves and wasn't fit enough to keep up very easily. I will have to work hard to master this DVD - if you want something you can follow easily, this may not be for you. It's a bit Californian body beautiful, and made me feel like a bit of an English frump! I can't say the music is very inspiring, it's just 'wallpaper' dance beat, really.

On the positive side, the workouts are broken down into 10 minute chunks, which makes it easy to fit into a busy lifestyle, and means those of us who are less than super-fit can do bitesize workouts! You can also program the DVD to go through the five 10-minute workouts in any order, effectively creating a customised workout.

Worth giving a go, but more of a workout than a fun dance session.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2010 4:42 PM GMT

Serious: The Autobiography
Serious: The Autobiography
by John McEnroe

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 10 Aug. 2008
I am too young to have watched McEnroe playing at his peak, but still I found this a very interesting and entertaining read. McEnroe writes openly and honestly about himself and it's fascinating to read about how he developed from such an angry 'wild child' into the mature and clearly intelligent man you see commentating on Wimbledon today.

I thought he achieved an appropriate balance between writing about tennis and his achievements in his career and writing about his personal life and his development as an individual. I learned some things about him I would never have known and the book furthered the respect I have for the man he is today and the interest I have in the game of tennis.

Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant!, 12 Jun. 2007
This book is absolutely brilliant. If I could have only one cookery book on my kitchen shelf - this would be it. Fantastic value for money, the book is jam-packed with recipes that you'll really use, day-in, day-out. Delia assumes nothing, with clear and practical advice about everything you need to know, including equipment and little cooking techniques that other recipe books just skim over. From how to boil an egg and make perfect, fluffy rice, to tasty and nutritious mid-week meals, plus dishes for special occasions or entertaining, this book has everything! It is inspiring me to cook `proper' meals much more often, and gives me the confidence to try anything. Delia tells you what not to do, as well as what to do, and addresses common problems like cakes that won't rise. As a young woman who enjoys cooking but has quite a lot to learn, this book is like having your mum and your grandma in the kitchen with you, passing on their little tips and handing down the sort of recipes you have warm, fuzzy memories of. Not just for beginners - if you think you've got the hang of the basics already, Delia's simple suggestions will probably push your results from fine to perfect. Cooking is a pleasure with this book, and it is a joy to serve up such good food. Great for family cooking, or (like myself) for a couple. I can't praise this book highly enough. Buy it - you'll wonder how you ever managed without!