Profile for John > Reviews

John (Marsham)

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing., 8 Feb. 2014
I so wanted this to be a good book to show that JK had more up her sleeve than Harry Potter. Unfortunately I found it rather disappointing, the first 1/3 being rather slow and plodding, mainly due to charachter developement, and I felt some of the charachters were a bit cliched . It then picked up and became quite an enjoyable read, but not a must read book.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs editing., 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
I saw the reviews on this, and then saw it was top of the Kindle SF chart, so thought it was worth a read. Although I enjoyed it, I definitely think the large volume of 5*s is way over the top. The story itself is quite good, but fairly typical military SF. My main concern was that it is desperately in need of a good edit. Not only are there multiple typos, but considerable repetition and some clumsy sections that cry out for a good editor. I appreciate that it is self published and so has not gone through the "traditional" process, but these issues definitely reduced my enjoyment of the book.

Scrapyard Ship (Scrapyard Ship Series Book 1)
Scrapyard Ship (Scrapyard Ship Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pulp SF, 22 Dec. 2013
Pulp SF in the old tradition. Easily readable, but very simplistic in plotting and charachterisation. Too reliant on sudden plot twists (ie suddenly finding a new capability of the ship just when it was most needed). Definitely a Sunday afternoon in front of the fire book.

Proper Job
Proper Job

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly tasty, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Proper Job (Kindle Edition)
For a self published book this is amazing. Ian mentions in the Epilogue that he pays for an editor, proof reader etc, and it shows in the quality of the product. As for the book itself, it is a fairly lightweight coming of age story, but very, very readable and with some lovely sarcastic humour. Pity it wasn't longer.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it., 13 May 2013
After nearly a year trying to make up my mind whether to get a Kindle or not, I finally decided to go for it and got one for Christmas. Having now used it for over 4 months I am completely in love with it. After over half a century of reading dead tree books, I was unsure if I would adapt to it, or if I wanted to. My fears were unfounded however, and it has been a wonderful experience, but I will make the following comments:

1) I have had none of the quality issues that some people have mentioned in the past, i.e. no colour casts or dead pixels, and to my eye, the shading at the bottom due to the light positions is minimal and not noticeable when actually reading.

2) The paperwhite technology makes it easy to read in all lighting conditions, although I still prefer to have a light on when reading in bed. It also makes for comfortable prolonged reading sessions, compard to backlit computer screens which I find tiring after a while.

3) Reading in bed is so easy, no struggling to hold a book open (particularly paperbacks with a high page count).

4) Works best for novels and short stories. Not so good for for illustated books or books with photos, or reference books that are read in a non-linear manner.

5) I bought the genuine Amazon leather cover and would recommend it as it protects the device as it has a rigid back, there are no straps for it to slip out of and the magnetic cover both holds it shut and switches it on and off.

6) I found I am reading more because of the ease of use, and I am still reading "real" books as well.

7) At first I found it was sometimes turning over multiple pages at first, but this turned out to be my touch technique, and after using it for a while my touch improved and I have no issues now.

Would I recommend it to anyone? Absolutely!