Profile for Lenny > Reviews

Content by Lenny

Lenny "Writer, beerdrinker, dogwalker" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
GROHE Blue Home 31455DC0 Duo starter kit: single-lever kitchen mixer for filtered, chilled and sparkling water. Includes cooler unit, filter and CO2 carbonisation bottle, stainless steel-look
Offered by Arredatutto
Price: £1,439.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Amateur UK installers -- watch out for odd pipe sizes., 15 Mar. 2017
Just finished fitting one of these to replace a mixer tap at an island sink, and it was pretty hairy because Grohe pipes are 3/8" and standard UK plumbing is 15mm. So I needed to find reducing compression couplers, and I bought the wrong thing three times before I found ones that worked - 12mm to 15mm reducing couplers. The ones that worked were from Screwfix, the ones that didn't were from my local plumbing store - both ostensibly 12mm but one thread fitted and the other didn't. Go figure.

The tap quality is superb, I have to say, but the IKEA style installation manual is frustrating and you need to read it several times to get it right.

What you might not realise from the picture beside this article is that the cooling and filtering unit is actually pretty big - equivalent to a medium-sized desktop computer, the sort you stand on your floor cos it's too big for your desk. The first thing you find in the box is a stencil showing you the unit needs to be 35mm from the side of the cupboard (for the air intake?) and where to drill the hole for the output vent. It also insists the unit must not touch the waste pipe from the sink above but doesn't say why. I could not avoid that and haven't found it to be a problem yet.

The chiller power lead is continental two-pin with a UK adaptor in the box. But the bit that connects to the unit is standard kettle-style connector, the sort most PCs use. So if you have a spare long kettle-type lead hanging around you can use that and save yourself the bulk of the adaptor.

A few observations: the reason you drill a 65mm hole in the floor of the cupboard is because the chilling unit vents downwards into the space under the cupboard plinth (you better have a space). The manual suggests this outlet is vented to an outlet drilled in the plinth but Grohe does not supply a vent pipe or any means of attaching one so forget about that. .

There are more water pipes in the box than you actually need - the spare pipe is in fact an extension for the one built into the unit. The manual recommends you use washers when connecting the pipes but supplies none, and the supplied pipes have built-in washers, so do you actually need to add more? Where I could see no built-in washer I used that white plumber's tape, and that seems to have worked. The push-in water pipes one inserted seem impossible to remove - there are clips to hold them in place but I could not get the clips to go on and since I could not get the pipes out by tugging hard on them, don't think the clips are needed anyway.

When I switched the unit on for the first time it made quite a racket. Well, it is a fridge. After a few minutes it seemed to quieten down - but you might have to get used to an occasional extra hum in your kitchen. It makes the same amount of noise as kitchen fridges did 20 years ago, and seem not to, any more (only just realised that!)

The most frustrating - and worrying - part of the installation was the adjusting of the water filter. Once you have tested for hardness you are supposed to tug down on the filter mounting collar to expose a bracket. Unscrew that bracket and the main part of the filter housing can be pulled down. You do this to set a certain position on the swivel cap according to water hardness. Well, when you tug down on the filter collar it snaps off - it appears to have been glued on. Turns out this is not a problem - the collar actually seems to fulfil no function apart from blocking access to the bracket. I set the filter hardness on the cap, replaced the filter (really fiddly job), screwed the bracket back in... and slid the redundant collar up over the filter cartridge to roughly where it had been before it broke off. In case I need it after all at some point

You are advised to wait six hours for the water to chill before using the sparkling tap. As I write this I still have two hours to go. If I have anything to add further down the line I'll do an edit and maybe even post a picture. If I find any leaks that are my fault however I might keep that to myself.

EDIT: I am sorry to report that although everything seems to work fine and the water is chilled the sparkling water function is quite disappointing - the bubbles dissipate in 10 seconds leaving the water completely flat. However I have used taps like this before and I know they can and do produce water as sparkling as bottled fizzy, so I hope this is correctable. I have contacted Grohe by email (there seems to be no phone support number) and await a reply. I am hoping it is a matter of adjusting the settings, or maybe I missed a trick installing the CO2 cylinder. It's even possible I have softened the water too much, as this can affect carbonization, apparently! That would mean adjusting the filter settings.

I have to say that searching for resources online was very frustrating as most of the videos and downloadable manuals are way out of date and refer to models that were far more complex to install.

Tigernu Laptop Rucksack 17.3 inch Laptop Waterproof Resistant Anti-Theft Zip School Business Backpack Bags-Black
Offered by Heller Yee

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, no flash or tinsel, 16 Feb. 2017
Purchased to carry a a massive 17" gaming laptop, this did the business. It's a tight fit but holds the machine securely in a padded section right against my back that's impossible for would-be tealeaves to access - though they'd have to yank hard to get it out even if they could reach it.

Although a bit squarish for my liking - my body isn't cuboid - the bag was comfortable to wear and has plenty of compartments for my stuff. Indeed after three weeks of use I'm still finding pockets I didn't know about. I was using a Victorinox backpack previously, and I was fond of it, but this is just as practical, with far fewer redundant bits of design on it - it could pass as a business case quite easily, I think, though I'm not a businessman.

One thing I haven't done yet is test it in the rain. If that happens I might edit this with my results - I'm not going looking for trouble.

Christmas Xmas Festive Elf Pet Dog Fancy Dress Costume Outfit Clothes Gift
Christmas Xmas Festive Elf Pet Dog Fancy Dress Costume Outfit Clothes Gift
Offered by Buy a Bargain

4.0 out of 5 stars Better sizing would have been nice, 16 Feb. 2017
Better sizing would have been nice, as 'small medium and large' doesn't cut it when you're talking about dogs. These barely fitted my Westies but they looked cute for the five minutes the dogs could tolerate wearing them. Nice quality, went back in the Xmas box for next year.

Galaxy S7 Edge Case, Ringke [FUSION] Shock Absorption TPU Bumper Drop Protection Clear Hard Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge 2016 - Crystal View
Offered by Ringke_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, barely there, works, 16 Feb. 2017
Hate phone cases as the point of slim phones is to be slim. However after dropping my S7 onto concrete and cracking the glass back I thought I should do something. This fits nicely, comes off and goes on easily, barely shows when fitted, and doesn't block wireless charging. Nearly crash-tested it last night when I tripped on a paving stone but fortunately didn't. Believe it would have protected the corners though, which is the weakest point on any phone like this.

Barbara Becker - Kleine Wolke Amitola Ceramic Toilet Brush and Holder (Soft White)
Offered by Housey Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans toilets admirably, 16 Feb. 2017
Small brush head but firmly attached, unlike the one I bought from M&S, which even superglue doesn't fix - are there any jobs more disgusting than fishing a detached toilet brush head out of a half-cleaned bowl?

That was a rhetorical question, btw.

Good value, looks neat and classy.

PetSafe ST-85 Spray Commander Basic Remote Spray - Black
PetSafe ST-85 Spray Commander Basic Remote Spray - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but effective, 21 Oct. 2016
Expensive but effective. I bought this to replace a cheaper training collar (no longer available on Amazon) because the old one kept picking up rogue signals or jamming in 'vibrate' mode. If a training collar doesn't do exactly what you want when you want it it is useless. That said, the old collar did at least teach my extremely naughty 3 year old Westie that electronic collars mean trouble. She has been as good as gold since I started using this and I've only had to use the spray once or twice in the last month. The range is good, no false signals as far as I can see, water resistant as promised (she's been paddling at the seaside) and easy to turn on and off without a coin or similar (if you have strong thumbnails that is.) It's more expensive than the no-brand Chinese stuff but, buy cheap buy twice.

Doitwiser ® Compatible 4 Pack Toner Cartridges Set For Dell 1250c 1350cnw 1355cn 1355cnw C1760nw C1765nf C1765nfw - 593-11016 593-11021 593-11018 593-11019 - High Capacity (Black: 2,000 pages - Colour: 1,400 pages).
Offered by Do it Wiser UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money - I am going to buy Dell ..., 3 Aug. 2016
Blacks are printing as a washed-out grey. Waste of money - I am going to buy Dell branded and throw these away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2016 4:24 PM BST

Zodiac 32 cm Kitchen Towel Holder
Zodiac 32 cm Kitchen Towel Holder

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighty, simple, stylish., 31 July 2016
I followed the other reviews when choosing this as I wanted a holder that was solid and simple and not silly money. It's true what some reviewers say - I found the the centre spindle a bit loose, and the black rubber base is glued on so you can't get at the inside to tighten it. But I simply held the unit upside down, pulled down on the spindle, and rotated it clockwise, and it tightened up a treat. it's held in by a hidden screw. Of course the makers could have avoided this by leaving a hole for users to access the screw, but it's a minor point. A nice bit of kitchen kit and I am glad I bought it.

ASUS ROG Nomad Nylon,Rubber Black,Orange backpack - backpacks (Nylon, Rubber, Black, Orange, 43.2 cm (17"), 185 mm, 350 mm, 510 mm)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits the bill, 29 Jun. 2016
Bought this for son to cart about his massive 17" gaming laptop also by Asus. Reading other reviews he was worried it might not fit but it managed fine and kept his kit safe on a flight to Canada and back. He's off to his first international gaming tournament soon, and it will hold all the changes of underwear a teenager needs for a week - ie one.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny but sturdy but tiny, 29 Jun. 2016
I got this specifically to use as a seat while I sorted out an exterior junction box, and it worked fine, and seemed great value for money. I am over 14 stone (must do something about that) and it coped with my weight no trouble, even when I stood on it. Except there was little point in standing on it because it really is very short - 8 inches or so? For accessing tall cupboards in a kitchen or similar I would rather use a kickstep or a short folding stepladder, which would offer more usable height. This is like standing on a shoebox.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19