Profile for sam155 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

4.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad- some spoilers if you missed it on TV, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The firsts series of Broadchurch was gripping TV:beautifully paced, with great music, atmospheric seascapes and characters that you cared about . I remember actually getting butterflies before the killer was revealed. Broadchurch 2 was always going to suffer from "Difficult Second Album" syndrome and to be honest, the first two episodes had more holes than a block of Swiss Cheese, but somehow I couldn't look away.

So what was bad about Broadchurch 2? Well the legal anomalies were so manifest that even a die hard fan like me nearly gave up. When Joe's confession was thrown out due to his wife allegedly beating him, I was shouting at the TV " But that was AFTER he confessed!". That's before we get to why Alec Hardy was unofficially harbouring the partner of a suspect from a case he failed to solve. And why Ellie Miller managed to solve Sandbrook using what appeared to be common sense and normal police procedure, where Alec Hardy had spectacularly failed. And I didn't like the final verdict, not one bit. Meera Syal as the judge did not move me at all- woeful miscasting.

And what kept me watching? The latter part of the series got good again, and plausible, and unpredictable, and lay enough tantalizing trails to keep me gripped. The music and the landscape play a huge part, as does the superb cast. It's great to see Charlotte Rampling on screen again- she is always mesmeric. Colman and Tennant are so good that you can chuck any old plot at them and I'd still want to watch what they did with it. A word should got to all the supporting cast though- Jodie Whitaker, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Andrew Buchan... all outstanding.

And now there's going to be a Broadchurch 3. I would say to the writers- make it legally sound, make it plausible, and apart from that, keep the spooky music, the haunting landscapes and the solid gold casting. I'll still watch it for all those things, even if its rubbish.

Get Rich Blogging
Get Rich Blogging
by Zoe Griffin

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a suggestion than a guarantee, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Get Rich Blogging (Paperback)
Zoe Griffin shares some good tips and strategies and this book is full of good websites and contact details. However, the title as you may imagine, is a little misleading because whether it makes you rich or not very much depends on the blog and you.

For example, Griffin suggests Viglinks, Skimlinks and Google Adsense as revenue generators on your blog but there are many pitfalls. Whether you make money from affiliates or Adsense depends on whether Adsense accepts your application, and whether you're getting any traffic. Your traffic depends on whether your blog is commercial or popular or niche. You could get refised by Adsense, and affiliates might only earn you a few pence a day.

So in conclusion, yes the tools are here, and yes, its informative, but its no guarantee-more of a book of suggestions. Its worth bearing in mind too that Griffin was showbiz columnist for the Sunday Mirror prior to setting up her blog "Live Like a VIP" so she may well have had a good head start above us mere mortals starting from scratch with no showbiz contacts. Fair play to her though, she has guts and gumption and enthusiasm and I can't fault that in a person.

Comic Maker Star Wars Clone Wars Comic Maker Kit
Comic Maker Star Wars Clone Wars Comic Maker Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly and bits and bobs!, 16 Feb. 2015
This has everything you need to make a comic, but for some reason my comic mad son hasn't taken to it. I can't decide whether its too "bitty" with so many bits and bobs included, or too prescriptive with a set number of pages and frames. There are a lot of different parts to it, but even though my son is bright, it a hell of a project that would last several afternoons, and if you made a mistake, then you'd have to start over.

I'm not sure what I would suggest to improve this, maybe just use paper and templates or something, or make it cheaper, or.. I don't know. But the bits kept falling out of the box and its all looked very fiddly.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick - 4.2 g, Pink in the Afternoon
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick - 4.2 g, Pink in the Afternoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to make me switch back, 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I usually use lip colours that you paint on and which last all day. Lately though I've been finding that they dry my lips out and I end up applying lip balm over the top all day. It was time I switched back to lipsticks so i was glad to get hold of Revlon Pink in The Afternoon. For one thing, it really does moisturize and for another thing, despite its glossy appearance, it really did stay on. Granted it was not as long as my 12 hour stay put paint-it-on lip colour, but the results were more natural looking and the shade was perfect for my fair skin. Staying power was around five hours and the colour stayed on after a cappucino. Mots importantly, my lips didn't dry out and stayed moist. The shade itself is a pinky neutral with a definite hint of coral, so I don't think it would suit all skin tones, but fair skin seems to be a good match.

I also liked the classic black and gold packaging, which made me feel very ladylike when I took it out of my handbag.

Chococino Caramel
Chococino Caramel
Offered by SHOP 4 LESS

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious- my son loves these., 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Chococino Caramel (Office Product)
These capsules were a bit sweet for my husband and I but my son, aged 8, loved them. They were ideal after he had played a football match and he enjoyed coming home to a hot drink after being out in the cold. You can really taste the caramel and the flavour is delicious. This is a two capsule drink so you only get 8 drinks from one standard box.

Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)

5.0 out of 5 stars No gritty residue- excellent!, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are great. I have recently become quite frustrated to find my usual powder tablets leave a rough coating on glassware and my dishes and glassware look a little dull when they have been washed. However, these capsules are liquid and part powder and somehow the glasses are gleaming, there's no gritty residue and everything looks very shiny. I'm happy with these and will use them in future.

Penhaligon's Scent Library
Penhaligon's Scent Library

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to try ten scents without traipsing round shops all day, 11 Feb. 2015
This is a great way to try on ten tester samples without going to Penhaligon's in person to try them all, or splashing out on a blind buy that you end up trying to get rid of. I wish more perfume houses would release tester kits like this- some do, but you still have to seek them out. This little set makes a great gift too, especially if you give them a gift voucher for Penhaligons to go alongside.

Lasting power is pretty good at around eight hours on me, so you can get a full day's thorough and generous wear out of one of these phials of perfume. NB they are splash not spray- try them on a hankie or scarf.

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning illustrations take this lovely book to another league., 11 Feb. 2015
This book is a lovely sweet tale of a snail who wants to see the world and ends up saving his whale friend who comes a cropper. That's not all though, because as well as a heart warming story that is a pleasure to read aloud, the wonderful Axel Scheffler has surpassed himself with the illustrations in this beautiful book. Both my children have a favourite page: there are volcanoes, bears, parrots and monkeys to name but a few and the snail's odyssey draws you into an imaginative fantasy world. I love this book and never tire of reading it.

Nescafé Dolce Gusto Café Au Lait (Pack of 3, Total 48 Capsules/Coffee Pods)
Nescafé Dolce Gusto Café Au Lait (Pack of 3, Total 48 Capsules/Coffee Pods)

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite- and only one pod to use., 11 Feb. 2015
My husband and I treated ourselves to a Dolce Gusto machine just after Christmas and have had fun trying out all the different flavours. However, we keep coming back to these and they have become our favourite pod. Not only do you get 16 in a box instead of 8, but they are so easy to make with no changing of pods halfway through. They have a thin layer of foamy sweet milk on top and they taste quite old fashioned, but still with a great real coffee taste. We have tried Cappuccino, Machiatto, Choccocino, Lunge Intenso and these Cafe au Lait pods, and these get used up the fastest.

The House We Grew Up In
The House We Grew Up In
by Lisa Jewell

5.0 out of 5 stars Some dark themes, brilliantly and intriguingly tackled head on., 25 Jan. 2015
When Lisa Jewell writes a new book, I can guarantee that it will be written in an addictive page turning manner and that I will enjoy it thoroughly. The House We Grew Up in is no exception. This novel illustrates how diverse Lisa Jewell can be. With a wide range of themes that I won't elaborate on for fear of releasing spoilers, Jewell can turn her hand to any topic and with sensitivity too.

The House We Grew Up in shows how the ripple effect of a stone dropped in a pond can ruin and fragment a family forever. In fact it wasn't until the last few chapters that I realised the stone had been dropped in the pond the day before everybody thought it did.

Lorelei is a complex character whose story is told via her emails to her Internet lover, and from the descriptions of others. She inspires love and exasperation in equal measure, even in the reader, but eventually I understood her and my heart broke for this very tragic woman, who was in turn broken in many ways herself.

This is no less than a modern literary classic that refuses to shirk away from very dark themes, but adds a chink of light to the future, slicing through the detritus of the Bird family's life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20