Profile for sam155 > Reviews

Content by sam155
Top Reviewer Ranking: 924
Helpful Votes: 1939

sam155 (Wales)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Snowman/Father Christmas [DVD] [2005]
The Snowman/Father Christmas [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Dianne Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Snowman great, Father Christmas not so much., 19 Mar. 2015
The Snowman is a classic film with no dialogue ( doesn't need it) that I have been watching since I was a teen. Now I have children of my own, Christmas isn't Christmas without watching it.

Father Christmas- I wasn't so keen on. It lacks the whimsical charm and every other word is "blooming". This doesn't annoy me because it sounds like swearing, it annoys me because it just sounds unrealistic and irritating. It's basically a grumpy man trying to go on holiday and I didn't like it as much as The Snowman.

All in all, it kept the kids quiet.

Richie Rich
Richie Rich
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely family film, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Richie Rich (Amazon Instant Video)
My kids make me replay the scene with the "kid-a-pult" over and over. The story is very sweet with lots of nice messages about friendship. Macaulay Culkin was at the top of his game when he made this. Great supporting cast too. A lovely family film with baddies, goodies, adventures, suspense and kindness.

A Message of Hope from the Angels: The Sunday Times No. 1 Bestseller
A Message of Hope from the Angels: The Sunday Times No. 1 Bestseller
by Lorna Byrne

4.0 out of 5 stars A very comforting message, 19 Mar. 2015
I have been avidly reading this book and leaving my skepticism at the door. Either Lorna is mad or she is the only one who really knows what's going on. I found it a huge comfort and won't lend it to anyone in case I never get it back. It's very soothing to read, like a cool hand on your forehead when your soul is poorly.

Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Count and Learn Piggy Bank
Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Count and Learn Piggy Bank

5.0 out of 5 stars Encourages counting, 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was going to give this to my three year old niece but once it arrived , I decided to give it to her one year old sister. The maximum age is 36 months so although a three year old would like it very much ( I had to keep my five year old away from it!) I thought a one year would play with it longer.

I'm all in favour of anything that helps children think about saving money, even at this young age and I was impressed with this idea. The coins are big and chunky and it taps nicely into that phase kids often go through of wanting to post things. It's Fisher Price so you know it'll probably be sturdy and this certainly is. All in all, a good educational toys for little hands that encourages counting.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret
by Liane Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to discover a new favourite writer!, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
I won't spoil the story or reiterate the plot, but I will say this:

This book was so good that I started to go to bed earlier and earlier. It beat any soap cliffhanger in terms of suspense building and emotional involvement. I have ordered another by the same author and will read everything she ever writes. I didn't see the second twist coming which is to Moriarty's credit as a writer- it's nice to still be surprised even when engrossed. I wholeheartedly recommend it. You won't be sorry.

Wild [DVD]
Wild [DVD]
Dvd ~ Reese Witherspoon

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful film with many layers. It's not about the hike..., 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Wild [DVD] (DVD)
There are many layers to this film which has a deceptively simple premise. The basic story is of a woman who goes on a very long walk (1100 miles) to recover from drug problems and the death of her mother. It is a beautiful film, which says so much about life and paints a picture of how important it is to stop and look at the ground beneath your feet and the sky above your head.

Reese Witherspoon give a brilliant performance lacking all vanity, and was also a producer, which shows how much she believed in the story. The film is never dull, and the landscape takes on a character all its own. It is a metaphor for life, with moments of peace of beauty and moments of frustration, anger and even danger.

The main character, Cheryl Strayed ( the real name of the woman on whose book this is based) has no experience whatsoever of hiking so the walk is a vast learning curve for her. As she walks, she grows and matures and is forced to take a good look at herself.

Towards the end, there is a touchingly simple scene where a little boy sings her a song. She stands and listens as he sings Red River Valley. It was a moment that to me, summed up how she has learned to stop and listen and live in the moment.

There are so many layers to this film that it stands up to repeat watching. It's about finding silence in the chaos, the healing properties of solitude and the learning curve that hardships give you. It was a positive film overall and I would wholeheartedly recommend it. You don't need to be a hiker to watch it either, because this film is about life.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 8:31 PM GMT

Opium for Women by Yves Saint Laurent Eau de Toilette Spray 90ml
Opium for Women by Yves Saint Laurent Eau de Toilette Spray 90ml
Offered by OTC Global Trading Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 10 Mar. 2015
Opium is a classic that has been around for years but sadly it was reformulated several years ago so it does not resemble the original Opium, which was more powdery and heady. This version of Opium is the real thing but made with a different recipe these days due to EU regulations over perfume ingredients. (IFRA)

Opium is still a spicy Oriental classic, with great longevity, but if you want even better longevity, try the Eau de Parfum which is a stronger concentration. However I have tried the Eau de Toilette and it still lasted a good six hours on me, so its very much worth buying. I love this perfume and always feel good when I wear it.

L'Aimant by Coty Parfum de Toilette - 50 ml
L'Aimant by Coty Parfum de Toilette - 50 ml
Offered by Medideals

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated classic- totally worth the money and smells more expensive than it is., 10 Mar. 2015
Don't let the low price put you off, this classic from Coty was created in 1927 and still has that traditional style that does not always meet with more modern fruity floral tastes. Personally, I find this is very similar indeed to Chanel No 5, which was created in 1921. They are both of a very similar genre that was popular in the Twenties.

Many find it "old lady" but I prefer to use the term "Classic". Longevity is amazing at around 8 hours and a small bottle of parfum de toilette lasts me many months. All I would say is that you may find the eau de cologne on sale and that's not as nice and doesn't have the same depth. This is a rich floral scent full of roses and jasmine that adds a touch of class for less than ten quid. You can't go wrong.

SmartBedz Eticat Natural Cat Litter 5.5 kg
SmartBedz Eticat Natural Cat Litter 5.5 kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but I've used better., 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having three cats, I have used all sorts of litter and I have to say that this one does contain odour better than gravel. In fact, we usually use this sort of rolled "natural" cat litter, but a different brand.

On the whole, Eticat does contain odour a bit longer than our usual brand, but when it comes to changing the cat litter, the wet layer on the bottom smells a lot worse! This only happens when changing the litter though and I would emphasize that I have three cats using it and not just one. if you had one cat you could probably leave this for a week. but I change it every 2 or 3 days. I guess you could say that it does lock it in but hides it underneath. I have to change litter regularly because I have 3 cats rather than one, but I would only mark this litter around 6.5 out of 10 if I was being picky.

Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

4.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad- some spoilers if you missed it on TV, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The firsts series of Broadchurch was gripping TV:beautifully paced, with great music, atmospheric seascapes and characters that you cared about . I remember actually getting butterflies before the killer was revealed. Broadchurch 2 was always going to suffer from "Difficult Second Album" syndrome and to be honest, the first two episodes had more holes than a block of Swiss Cheese, but somehow I couldn't look away.

So what was bad about Broadchurch 2? Well the legal anomalies were so manifest that even a die hard fan like me nearly gave up. When Joe's confession was thrown out due to his wife allegedly beating him, I was shouting at the TV " But that was AFTER he confessed!". That's before we get to why Alec Hardy was unofficially harbouring the partner of a suspect from a case he failed to solve. And why Ellie Miller managed to solve Sandbrook using what appeared to be common sense and normal police procedure, where Alec Hardy had spectacularly failed. And I didn't like the final verdict, not one bit. Meera Syal as the judge did not move me at all- woeful miscasting.

And what kept me watching? The latter part of the series got good again, and plausible, and unpredictable, and lay enough tantalizing trails to keep me gripped. The music and the landscape play a huge part, as does the superb cast. It's great to see Charlotte Rampling on screen again- she is always mesmeric. Colman and Tennant are so good that you can chuck any old plot at them and I'd still want to watch what they did with it. A word should got to all the supporting cast though- Jodie Whitaker, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Andrew Buchan... all outstanding.

And now there's going to be a Broadchurch 3. I would say to the writers- make it legally sound, make it plausible, and apart from that, keep the spooky music, the haunting landscapes and the solid gold casting. I'll still watch it for all those things, even if its rubbish.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2015 9:49 PM GMT