Profile for Helen R > Reviews

Billy Bramble and The Great Big Cook Off
Billy Bramble and The Great Big Cook Off
by Sally Donovan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Billy Bramble is a great read, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is by my 11 (nearly 12) year old boy. "Billy Bramble and the Great Big Cook Off is really fun to read and I read it very quickly as I wanted to know what happened next. It's humorous, sad and happy. I really liked that it's told as a story that is very true to life, and I could compare it to lots of things in my own life. I sometimes got really engrossed - it created an atmosphere that made me feel I was in the story too. I loved the illustrations. I would definitely recommend it to my friends, both boys and girls."

Back to me (mum) - Ive read Billy Bramble too as I love Sally Donovan's clever story-telling for adults, and this book proves she can write just as well for children and young people. Really lovely short chapters, with a mixture of funny quotes and anecdotes, amusing lists, some hilarious observations on family life (my mum won't let me on facebook) to enhance the main story, which gives it broad appeal to both avid readers and more reluctant readers alike. Looking forward to her next book already.

Barbie X6991 Fashion Doll Giftset - Outfit Fashions & Stickers
Barbie X6991 Fashion Doll Giftset - Outfit Fashions & Stickers

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 1 Jan. 2014
A bit over priced for a plain Barbie and some clothes. Lots of packaging. My daughter loves it though and her barbies have some more outfits to wear. Good if a child likes a big box to unwrap!

Sevi B My Prince Decorations (Toothbrush Timer She)
Sevi B My Prince Decorations (Toothbrush Timer She)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 1 Jan. 2014
Nice big pot for brushes and toothpaste. The timer goes on for a long time -I'm convinced more than 2 minutes (didn't check this when I bought) but that's a good thing in our house. Well painted and looks lovely in bathroom.

Fiesta Crafts Activity Charts Magnetic Football Table
Fiesta Crafts Activity Charts Magnetic Football Table

5.0 out of 5 stars My 9 year old loves it, 1 Jan. 2014
Good quality, arrived v quickly. My son was delighted when he opened it at Christmas and his friends and cousins all love it too. Spent hours debating games and moving pieces around. Goes without saying you need to like football to enjoy this, but definitely recommend if you are.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
by Muriel Barbery

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to persevere, 28 July 2013
Hard going to begin with, but warms up about half way through. Wriiten from the point of view of two key characters, it will appeal to readers interested in the way human beings are with each other.

No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
by Sally Donovan

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 28 July 2013
A wonderfully written story. I bought this book as soon as it was published and read it in just a few days. Hilarious in parts, it is also shocking and sad in others. For me this book has given real insight into the world of modern adopting that many of us know little about, whilst having plenty of familiar ups and downs of life that I could identify with too. I don't have adopted children, but I have loved reading this.

The Flower Shop: A Year in the Life of an English Country Flower Shop
The Flower Shop: A Year in the Life of an English Country Flower Shop
by Sally Page

5.0 out of 5 stars Good christmas or birthday present, 29 Dec. 2009
Gave this to my mum for Christmas and she is really pleased with it. She enjoys flower arranging so this is just up her street. The photos are gorgeous and although there is little text there is just enough to get some useful tips and ideas.