Profile for Books4me > Reviews

Content by Books4me

Books4me "Alemap" (Norfolk, UK)

A Diary From Dixie
A Diary From Dixie

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the real book, 25 Feb. 2014
Her writing is wonderful but the Kindle version is very difficult to read and poorly organised so you can't differentiate footnotes from text. Also pages interrupted by page titles in capitals. I will persevere for the sake of the content but I wish I had the pages of a real book instead.

Finnegans Wake
Finnegans Wake
by James Joyce
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Finnegan's Wake, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Finnegans Wake (Audio CD)
Beautifully read and CD pack includes booklet with the text of the extracts. I'm using it alongside the printed book to help me hear the rhythm and music in the language. It really helps with understanding, appreciating and enjoying this major work of literature.

Good Raw Food Recipes: Delicious Raw and Living Food for Energy and Wellness
Good Raw Food Recipes: Delicious Raw and Living Food for Energy and Wellness
by Judy Barber

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw Food, 12 Sept. 2012
A good introduction to the ideas of raw food. Rather a lot of recipes for desserts - wonderful yes, but also high in fruits containing high levels of sugar such as dates so perhaps not quite as healthy as one would like. It's clear you would need to get a dehydrator if you really wanted to follow through with the raw food idea. I'm not going that far but as a result of this book I have tried to introduce a lot more raw food into my diet without changing my total food approach.

Rigoletto: Jonathan Miller's Production [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Rigoletto: Jonathan Miller's Production [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

1.0 out of 5 stars Rigoletto, 13 Jan. 2011
I was looking forward so much to having one of my favourite performances of Rigoletto on DVD rather than on video and also to the added extra of subtitles but the sound quality is so poor I can never watch the DVD again. It would be great if the manufacturer could put this right in some way. I would not recommend anyone to buy the DVD until the sound has been remastered.

Poems from East Anglia
Poems from East Anglia
by Kevin Crossley-Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Crossley-Holland, 28 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Poems from East Anglia (Paperback)
In my opinion this is his very best book of poems. Particularly meaningful if you know the Norfolk coast ... he lets you hear, see, feel and experience it in such a wonderful way, relating the landscape to our emotions. It strips away all our pretensions and gets down to the bone and yet encourages us to live with more knowledge and a greater sense of beauty.

If you are lucky you might also come across some of his poems written as postcards with beautiful pen and ink drawings (by his artist wife or other friends).

I first saw one of his poems called "Comfort" in the Guardian and just had to find the book. I have since given the book away to friends and particularly to other poets.

How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor
by Ernie J. Zelinski

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Retire, Happy, Wild and Free, 28 Mar. 2009
This book does what it says. I bought several retirement books and most were not useful...... no use telling me how to invest for my retirement once I have got there!
Full of fun and practical ideas and makes the most of the opportunity retirement provides to re-invent ourselves once we are free of the tyranny of work.
An American book but just as useful for folk in the UK. Don't bother with any other book but this one and you will have lots of fun in retirement.

Scoop
Scoop
by Evelyn Waugh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Scoop, 28 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Scoop (Mass Market Paperback)
Hilarious satire of the papparazzi. Completely non-PC (written before the second world war) which also makes it a fascinating historical and social document about England and Empire. Highly recommended. At last you will find out the truth about how to use a cleft stick!