Profile for Mr M C Fox > Reviews

Mr M C Fox

The Martian
The Martian

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic subject,taken into the future, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book hugely.
The content kept me fully in focus for both the technical issues along with the human factors. I was really worried about our Martian particularity about the effects of 1 year of Disco only!

Desert God (The Egyptian Series Book 5)
Desert God (The Egyptian Series Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 8 Nov. 2014
I cannot believe that the author who created the earlier works of Wilbur Smith had anything to do with this latest effort.
I must assume that a ghost writer has now taken up the brief and that such a brief focused on maximising the revenue stream which will inevitably result from any output from a world renowned author, rather than creating a novel with any of the depth and breadth of vision associated with the name of Wilbur Smith.
Surely now is the time to be honest with his many fans worldwide and retire .

The 5th Wave (Book 1)
The 5th Wave (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I'm hooked, 4 Mar. 2014
This was the first Rick Yancey book that I have read, and as a 69 year old I am probably way outside the normal "demographic" of the target audience. However I am pleased to say that I enjoyed every page and have pre-ordered the sequel.
The entire concept is massive in scale whilst the characters really drew me in, I almost shouted at my Kindle during the last escape piece( not a good idea for an old guy sitting on a crowded train)

As an avid reader I now find myself in the great position of finding an author new to me with a considerable number of books to go back and enjoy.

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Rebus, 14 Dec. 2013
Ian Rankin is to crime writing what John Rebus is to police work.
Each a pointer to the traditional values of their trade,always good for a result , always determined to do things the hard way since that way lies a journey filled with echoes of a time so much richer in tone than many of the bland offerings of their peers.

Vicious Circle (The Hector Cross Novels Book 2)
Vicious Circle (The Hector Cross Novels Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero star required, 1 Nov. 2013
I thought that I could look forward to reading another example of fine writing by Wilbur Smith, how disappointing to find such a poor attempt of a novel with his name on it.
As an avid reader I rarely leave a book unfinished but this dreadful book left me with no desire to read beyond the first chapter.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect treat, 7 Aug. 2013
How rare it is to have a book that makes you feel that have not so much read it,but that you have shared it.

Road to Rouen
Road to Rouen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really good read, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
As a father of two children,now grown and flown, this book had me regretting that we had not had a similar adventure and reminiscing with my wife about our smaller , less adventurous forays with the kids.
I laughed out loud,a lot,at the hilarious yet totally believable adventures of Ben,Dinah and their two long suffering children.

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 28 May 2013
I thought that I was getting a novel,one which would challenge me a little with complex codes and symbols.
Instead this book is an extended guide book treading a well travelled course around some familiar cities, with little or no true plot and a total lack of believability in its characters.
Next time I will buy a Michelin guide.

First and Only
First and Only

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first novel, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: First and Only (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Peter Flannery's first book. He has managed to combine a truly fantastic plot with realistic characters and circumstances.
The perspective from both a "good" and "evil" focus works well with a combination of flaws and strengths displayed by all.
I really look forward to his next book, when he can "find the time" to write it.