Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Sapphire Collection 15 cm Non Stick Milk Pan
Sapphire Collection 15 cm Non Stick Milk Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for warming a cup of milk, small but good, 8 Mar. 2017
This is a small saucepan - I'd suggest getting a ruler out and seeing what 15cm looks like before you order! However, I wanted something to simmer herbal teas in and to warm a single cup of milk in without the hot top/ cold bottom you get in the microwave. It was perfect for what I wanted it for. It seems to be a nice quality, sturdy saucepan and has been through the dishwasher successfully a few times now.
An extra word of caution - I have solid electric hotplates and it's brilliant on those. I'm not sure it would fit on gas without falling into the middle. Best to measure to be sure.

Bedphones Gen. 3 On-Ear Sleep Headphones - Thinnest, Most Comfortable Headphones For Sleeping - with Inline Microphone and Remote - Black
Offered by Bedphones - Headphones for Sleep

1.0 out of 5 stars I loved these but they went wrong in 3 weeks, 4 Mar. 2017
These are amazing headphones for sleeping and the most comfortable I've ever worn for daytime, too. I have small ear canals and in-ear headphones are never comfy, and it's impossible to sleep in over the head headphones. These seemed like the perfect solution. So why the low rating? After only 3 weeks of use, one ear started cutting out every time I accidentally touched the lead. Within a day the left ear had stopped working altogether. I'm sending them back to amazon for a refund, but it's disappointing. These are expensive headphones - they were over £35 - and I'd expect them to be really high quality for this. A huge shame - a great idea poorly executed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2017 7:28 PM GMT

Teaching Notes on Piano Exam Pieces 2017 & 2018, ABRSM Grades 1-8 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Timothy Barratt
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful notes to accompany the ABRSM piano exams, 29 Jan. 2017
I'm really liking these this year. For the first time they include Grade 8. Also for the first time, each piece is broken into sections to include background, performance hints, and hints to overcome technical difficulties. Although they can still be a bit wordy in places "your pupil can imagine themselves soaring over fields on a summer's day" type sentences, it does get you into the mindset required for the piece. It's much easier now to skip that part if you are merely looking for hints on overcoming a specific technical problem, and get to the part you want.
I often find, once I have two or three pupils on the same piece, that the same problems come up. Whilst this book doesn't attempt or claim to offer every answer, it's surprising how often a particular difficulty like this will be mentioned in the book. Steps to overcome issues have varying degrees of usefulness, and it won't replace good teaching. But all in all, I find it a very helpful little reference guide.

iPhone 5S Case, ULAK iPhone SE Case 3in1 Shockproof Combo Hybrid Hard Rigid PC + Soft Silicone Protective Case Cover for Apple iPhone SE/5S/5 (Black + Blue)
Offered by Pandamimi--The Great ULAK Case Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive case, protects the phone well from drops and knocks, 29 Jan. 2017
My teenage daughter had claimed on her iPhone insurance twice in a year at some cost, due to dropping it and smashing the screen. She can't seem to avoid dropping it so when the third phone came along, we decided it was time to get the toughest case we could find. This one seemed to have about the best reviews for the price.
Well, she's had her phone in this case for a couple of months now, along with a tempered glass screen protector, and it's been brilliant. She's dropped it enough times that at least another insurance claim would have been inevitable. With an excess of £70 this case has saved her a good deal of money. It has been knocked off tables, fallen from a high bunk bed, been dropped on a hard floor from a standing height, and shows not the slightest sign of damage.
The phone case is chunky and sits proud of the screen - essential for those face down landings. It's composed of a hard plastic shell with a rubberised outer. I don't think it was that easy to get on the phone, but now it's on it fits beautifully. There are rubber flaps covering the charging entrance, the volume buttons etc, and you just pull these back for access. The whole thing feels very well thought out and designed.
I only wish I'd bought her this when she first got an iPhone, rather than "pretty" phone cases. It would have saved a fortune.

Tokidoki Ring Binder
Tokidoki Ring Binder

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute ring binder, 25 Nov. 2016
This was very cute and quite sturdy and seems good quality. My daughter has been using it for her college work for some weeks now and it is holding up well to the wear and tear of being lugged around in her bag. Nice item.

Piano Prep Test: revised 2016 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
Piano Prep Test: revised 2016 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Nigel Scaife
Edition: Sheet music

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see Prep Test finally updated, 25 Nov. 2016
The old Prep Test was looking very dated; it was inspiring when it came out in the 90s but I'd often wondered why the grades change every two years but not this.
The contents are what I would expect from ABRSM Prep Test - nicely accessible for early students, not too challenging. They try to be inspiring but I played the solo pieces and didn't find them that grabbing, to be honest. I have a couple of young pupils learning who particularly like jazzy/ catchy/ popular pieces and I think it is going to be hard to motivate them to play these. However, the beauty of Prep Test is that there's loads of alternative choices (if you get the other ABRSM books) and a complete own choice of anything the pupil enjoys for the second section. There is also an inclusion of duets for the second section of this book which I thought was a very nice touch and will make for some fun playing.
I will try to come back and update more once I've had a couple of pupils go through it.

Bags on Board Scented Dog Waste Bags Refill Pack - 120 Bags
Bags on Board Scented Dog Waste Bags Refill Pack - 120 Bags

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really scented but good quality, 17 Oct. 2016
The bags I received were not really scented. If I put the roll right up to my nose (before picking up after the dogs in them!) I could detect a faint odour, but certainly not enough for them to warrant the label "scented". Maybe I just received an old batch.
Having said that, these are durable, strong bags which are a very good size and have never split. They hold a very large amount of poop (multiple dogs!) and although they don't have handles, the large size means this is not a problem. I would definitely buy them again, though I would probably go for the rainbow colours instead.

Queens Penzance 15 cm Earthenware Open Rows Oatmeal Bowl
Queens Penzance 15 cm Earthenware Open Rows Oatmeal Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little bowl, 17 Oct. 2016
This is a lovely little bowl which seems durable and has not chipped in the months since I bought it. The blue and white animal design is very appealing but my favourite thing about this bowl is that it is a proper traditional cereal bowl. I find most bowls nowadays huge but this is reminiscent of bowls I had as a child. If you are like my husband and have half a box of cereal for breakfast, or if you want something to duplicate as a pasta bowl, this won't be the bowl for you. But for a moderate amount of cereal in the mornings, it's just perfect.

Bags on Board Rainbow Bag Refill Pack
Bags on Board Rainbow Bag Refill Pack
Offered by Pet Supply Company USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tough bags., 17 Oct. 2016
Really good sized bags. We have four dogs which can feel similar to picking up after an elephant at times - this bag holds the entire lot. I've never had a bag split, which is more than I can say for others! They don't have handles but I don't find that a problem due to the generous sizing.

Queens Penzance 26 cm Earthenware All Over Dinner Plate
Queens Penzance 26 cm Earthenware All Over Dinner Plate

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality plate, 17 Oct. 2016
These plates are nice thick quality. There are other similar designs in the range; one which is opposite to this with blue on a white background and one with the pictures in a circular pattern. I've been gradually collecting them to make a set and they look lovely together. They are not too huge - just right and the lip round the edge is deep enough to hold gravy but not so deep you feel you are eating out of a bowl!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9