Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

S. Owen

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Savage stuff, use carefully, 19 Jun. 2016
Used this to bleach out my daughter's hair before dip dyeing it,. We've done this before with other bleaches with success (though not on the same hair, this was unbleached hair in good condition). Followed instructions and left it for 45 mins, it says up to 90 mins. After 45 mins daughter complained it was burning hot and scalding her back (she has long hair). I felt it and the hair was really hot - next to a scalp this would have caused burns. We washed it out immediately. The dye has taken okayish but not that great, it's still very yellow and she doesn't naturally have very dark hair, just a mid/ mouse brown. Since then all her hair has been breaking off despite careful handling. It's very long so if it all comes off it won't be the end of the world. However, next to scalp this would have been a disaster. We've used other bleach before with way better results. I would not use this again.

9V Curtis DVD9000UK DVD player power supply replacement adaptor
9V Curtis DVD9000UK DVD player power supply replacement adaptor
Offered by County Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should, 1 Mar. 2016
This replaced the original lead of a Curtis DVD9000UK which had broken through being wound up so many times. The plug is a little chunky but otherwise it works and does the job perfectly.

Crayola Dry Erase Washable Dry Erase Markers
Crayola Dry Erase Washable Dry Erase Markers

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Ok for toddler to scribble with, not good on a proper whiteboard, 1 Mar. 2016
We have a whiteboard on which we write all the family activities for the week. I thought these would brighten it up. However, are very thin and pale - you can barely see the writing except close up - and they ran out ridiculously fast. We used them three times at best before they had to be thrown away. I also found that, having left the writing up for the week, it was a nightmare to get off. They did not dry erase as advertised and needed water, lots of elbow grease, and in some cases a small amount of detergent.
I think if you had a toddler having fun drawing things which were going to be immediately erased, they might fit the bill. But don't rely on these as proper whiteboard pens. We had binned the lot within a fortnight.

Creative Haven Vintage Christmas Greetings Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books)
by Marty Noble

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of charming pictures, 9 Dec. 2015
I bought this for my mother who is in her 70s and she was thrilled. There is a good selection of pictures in here, all in a similar vein to the one on the cover. Creative Haven are my favourite colouring books as I like the perforated pages and the pictures are only on one side of the paper. Unlike some colouring books where the pictures inside are a disappointment compared to the cover, this was a good find.

BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking
BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking
Offered by Fir Tree Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Call blocking never properly worked and then the battery charger failed, 9 Dec. 2015
I was talked into buying this phone (at some expense - more than the price on here) by BT after asking them if anything could be done about the sheer volume of nuisance calls I was getting.
At first, it seemed to be working well. Then, after a short while we noticed that every time it was set to block anything, it blocked all numbers. My friends were still ringing but the phone was not letting me get them. After spending some while reading up and trying various settings, I gave up and turned the call blocking completely off.
This made the phone an expensive bog standard cordless, but it had caller display and so we chugged along with it for a couple more months.
Then the battery started failing. At first, I noticed I couldn't leave it out of the cradle at all except when answering calls, then the battery started running out halfway through calls until eventually it would not charge at all. We have tried endless replacement rechargable batteries, but the cradle will not charge them properly. The only way to get the phone to work is to put ordinary AAs in and not recharge them, leaving the phone by the cradle, but this gets through a set a day and even then the phone tends to emit loud beeps and cut out mid conversation. I have given up now on buying batteries for this phone and today ordered a corded cheap phone. This one will be going in the bin.
I'd like to say good while it lasted, but it never really worked properly. I should have returned it immediately.

Tomodachi Life (Nintendo 3DS)
Tomodachi Life (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very addictive little game, 29 July 2015
This is such an absorbing game! I'm quite ashamed to admit to ordering it for myself as I'm sure I'm not the target age! My teen daughter has been playing it for almost a year now and it seemed like a mini soap opera; she was constantly telling me that someone had married/ split up with/ starting dating someone else etc. I got intrigued and she said I would like it. I have now been playing it for 4 months almost daily.

In a nutshell, you look after an island which starts with just one inhabitant, and you have to create this one, and others. After you get going with a few islanders the game seems to take on a life of its own, with inhabitants dating, marrying and creating little versions of themselves, in a way which is fascinating from a genetic point of view, if nothing else. The islanders have a wealth of issues for you to sort out, from fights with other islanders to wanting new outfits. It becomes like your own personal soap opera, and though it does get a bit repetitive eventually, it takes a lot of playing for this to happen.

If you've ever played Animal Crossing, I'd say you'll like this.

Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 15 cm (6")
Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 15 cm (6")

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality cake tin, 29 July 2015
Beautiful high quality cake tin, much better than anything I have seen in the shops even for much more money. I have to bake a lot as I have a dairy and soya allergic daughter and I find this 6 inch size good for everyday large cakes.The tin is heavy and the non stick seems to be high quality. It's stood up to frequent, almost daily use for a couple of months now and it still looks brand new. I've had quite a few family members order one for themselves upon seeing it. I would look for this make again.

Memory Foam Off-cut 40" x 27" x2" multiple uses, dog pet bed,sun lounger,camping,caravan
Offered by LINEN LOVERS

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a very good dog bed, 29 July 2015
I bought this for a dog bed for our oldest dog who is 13 now and getting very stiff in the mornings. It's a huge sheet of foam - I'd read the measurements but still underestimated how big it was! Because it's not terribly thick, I cut it in half and placed one half on top of the other. I've wrapped the whole thing in a cheap fleece blanket and hey presto, I have a lovely comfy washable dog bed for a fraction of the price of memory foam beds in well known pet stores.
The dog looked at it very suspiciously at first and insisted on sleeping on the floor beside it; I suspect because it didn't look like a bed as he knew it. However, after being lifted on it a couple of times he now loves it and is noticeably less stiff and arthritic. A good buy.

Remington HC5015 Apprentice Hair Clipper
Remington HC5015 Apprentice Hair Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value inexpensive clipper which cuts just fine, 29 July 2015
This was an inexpensive hair clipper to replace a much higher spec Remington which we'd had for years. This one is mains operated, not rechargeable. I've found that as long as you can sit fairly near a power source (it's not a particularly long lead) that's not a problem; in fact it saves an aging battery from chewing up the hair you are cutting.
The attachments are flimsier than my original clippers but seem to work every bit as well. There is less choice of attachment, but I personally tend to use a number 3 on my other half and nothing else anyway, so this isn't an issue for me.
I'd say this was a very good buy. I've used it very successfully for a few haircuts now and see no reason why it won't last for a very good time to come.

Music Theory for Young Children Book Two
Music Theory for Young Children Book Two
by Ying Ying Ng

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle introduction to music theory, 29 July 2015
I love this series. For anyone under the age of about 9, I start them on these books instead of Grade 1 theory. They build up very gradually over four books to Grade 1 standard. This second book, having covered the most basic concepts in the first, takes treble and bass clef notes to an octave each and introduces quavers, rests and the working out of simple time signatures. The middle is full of stickers to add to various pages and there are lots of fun activities with plenty of colouring. My pupils always beg to do this book each lesson. Better than others I have tried for this age group. I've used it very successfully from ages 5 - 8 ish. But to be honest,if I had to learn theory from scratch I'd be happy to work it myself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8