Profile for S. Owen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Tokidoki Ring Binder
Tokidoki Ring Binder

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute ring binder, 25 Nov. 2016
This was very cute and quite sturdy and seems good quality. My daughter has been using it for her college work for some weeks now and it is holding up well to the wear and tear of being lugged around in her bag. Nice item.

Piano Prep Test: revised 2016 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
Piano Prep Test: revised 2016 (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Nigel Scaife
Edition: Sheet music

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see Prep Test finally updated, 25 Nov. 2016
The old Prep Test was looking very dated; it was inspiring when it came out in the 90s but I'd often wondered why the grades change every two years but not this.
The contents are what I would expect from ABRSM Prep Test - nicely accessible for early students, not too challenging. They try to be inspiring but I played the solo pieces and didn't find them that grabbing, to be honest. I have a couple of young pupils learning who particularly like jazzy/ catchy/ popular pieces and I think it is going to be hard to motivate them to play these. However, the beauty of Prep Test is that there's loads of alternative choices (if you get the other ABRSM books) and a complete own choice of anything the pupil enjoys for the second section. There is also an inclusion of duets for the second section of this book which I thought was a very nice touch and will make for some fun playing.
I will try to come back and update more once I've had a couple of pupils go through it.

Bags on Board Scented Dog Waste Bags Refill Pack - 120 Bags
Bags on Board Scented Dog Waste Bags Refill Pack - 120 Bags

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really scented but good quality, 17 Oct. 2016
The bags I received were not really scented. If I put the roll right up to my nose (before picking up after the dogs in them!) I could detect a faint odour, but certainly not enough for them to warrant the label "scented". Maybe I just received an old batch.
Having said that, these are durable, strong bags which are a very good size and have never split. They hold a very large amount of poop (multiple dogs!) and although they don't have handles, the large size means this is not a problem. I would definitely buy them again, though I would probably go for the rainbow colours instead.

Queens Penzance 15 cm Earthenware Open Rows Oatmeal Bowl
Queens Penzance 15 cm Earthenware Open Rows Oatmeal Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little bowl, 17 Oct. 2016
This is a lovely little bowl which seems durable and has not chipped in the months since I bought it. The blue and white animal design is very appealing but my favourite thing about this bowl is that it is a proper traditional cereal bowl. I find most bowls nowadays huge but this is reminiscent of bowls I had as a child. If you are like my husband and have half a box of cereal for breakfast, or if you want something to duplicate as a pasta bowl, this won't be the bowl for you. But for a moderate amount of cereal in the mornings, it's just perfect.

Bags on Board Rainbow Bag Refill Pack
Bags on Board Rainbow Bag Refill Pack
Offered by Pet Supply Company USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tough bags., 17 Oct. 2016
Really good sized bags. We have four dogs which can feel similar to picking up after an elephant at times - this bag holds the entire lot. I've never had a bag split, which is more than I can say for others! They don't have handles but I don't find that a problem due to the generous sizing.

Queens Penzance 26 cm Earthenware All Over Dinner Plate
Queens Penzance 26 cm Earthenware All Over Dinner Plate

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality plate, 17 Oct. 2016
These plates are nice thick quality. There are other similar designs in the range; one which is opposite to this with blue on a white background and one with the pictures in a circular pattern. I've been gradually collecting them to make a set and they look lovely together. They are not too huge - just right and the lip round the edge is deep enough to hold gravy but not so deep you feel you are eating out of a bowl!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Savage stuff, use carefully, 19 Jun. 2016
Used this to bleach out my daughter's hair before dip dyeing it,. We've done this before with other bleaches with success (though not on the same hair, this was unbleached hair in good condition). Followed instructions and left it for 45 mins, it says up to 90 mins. After 45 mins daughter complained it was burning hot and scalding her back (she has long hair). I felt it and the hair was really hot - next to a scalp this would have caused burns. We washed it out immediately. The dye has taken okayish but not that great, it's still very yellow and she doesn't naturally have very dark hair, just a mid/ mouse brown. Since then all her hair has been breaking off despite careful handling. It's very long so if it all comes off it won't be the end of the world. However, next to scalp this would have been a disaster. We've used other bleach before with way better results. I would not use this again.

9V Curtis DVD9000UK DVD player power supply replacement adaptor
9V Curtis DVD9000UK DVD player power supply replacement adaptor
Offered by County Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should, 1 Mar. 2016
This replaced the original lead of a Curtis DVD9000UK which had broken through being wound up so many times. The plug is a little chunky but otherwise it works and does the job perfectly.

Crayola Dry Erase Washable Dry Erase Markers
Crayola Dry Erase Washable Dry Erase Markers

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Ok for toddler to scribble with, not good on a proper whiteboard, 1 Mar. 2016
We have a whiteboard on which we write all the family activities for the week. I thought these would brighten it up. However, are very thin and pale - you can barely see the writing except close up - and they ran out ridiculously fast. We used them three times at best before they had to be thrown away. I also found that, having left the writing up for the week, it was a nightmare to get off. They did not dry erase as advertised and needed water, lots of elbow grease, and in some cases a small amount of detergent.
I think if you had a toddler having fun drawing things which were going to be immediately erased, they might fit the bill. But don't rely on these as proper whiteboard pens. We had binned the lot within a fortnight.

Creative Haven Vintage Christmas Greetings Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books)
by Marty Noble

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of charming pictures, 9 Dec. 2015
I bought this for my mother who is in her 70s and she was thrilled. There is a good selection of pictures in here, all in a similar vein to the one on the cover. Creative Haven are my favourite colouring books as I like the perforated pages and the pictures are only on one side of the paper. Unlike some colouring books where the pictures inside are a disappointment compared to the cover, this was a good find.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8