Profile for Tishylou > Reviews

Tishylou

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
How I Lost You
How I Lost You

5.0 out of 5 stars I would highly recommend this book to fans of Mel Sherratt and CL Taylor, 11 April 2015
This review is from: How I Lost You (Kindle Edition)
Any book that deals with children will all tug at my heartstrings. The idea that a Mother could kill her own child and not remember is really scary. Susan faces the ultimate horror as she has been convicted of the horrible crime, but has no recollection of committing it. She has lost 4 years of her life and still isn't entirely sure that her son is dead.

When things start to get creepy and nothing makes sense, Susan begins to want to find the truth. She enlists the help of Nick and Cassie and sets out to find out what really happened to her boy, Dylan. As the tale begins to unfold, with the clever use of flashbacks in to the past of Mark, Susan's ex-husband, we learn that things are not always as they seem and that if you have money, you can keep your past quiet.

There are some amazingly tense scenes in this book. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was reading faster and faster, the further I got into the story. This brought to mind Watching Over You by Mel Sherratt, which is my favourite thriller, and I loved it! The emotions are really strong as you progress through the story, you can feel the pain, the fear and the sadness just jumping from the pages.

Jenny Blackhurst is a brilliant story-teller. Her protagonist is flawed but likeable, the baddies are very clever and dark and the story flows smoothly. I would highly recommend this book to fans of Mel Sherratt and CL Taylor

Leaves for Chloe (The Leaves Series Book 2)
Leaves for Chloe (The Leaves Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I really loved reading All In the Leaves, 10 April 2015
Wow! I really loved reading All In the Leaves, the first book in this series and I have been quite excited about this, the second part of the series. And I have to say, I was not disappointed. Our friends Anna and Seamus are back, but this book focuses more on Chloe and her journey to happiness. It's not an easy road for her, as she faces much sadness and turmoil. It's not all doom and gloom though. There are plenty of laughs and lots of doggy love too.

This book rang true with me too. Chloe's journey felt like it was mine journey at times. I won't spoil the fun, but bus life comes into it, which I loved! There are so many fantastic supporting characters too, like Shell and Uncle. There's a lot of love in this book! We also get to explore Scotland, somewhere I've yet to travel to. Beautiful scenery, makes me really want to visit!

I also really love the spiritual aspect of Pat's writing. The connections and the feelings and readings. I love that stuff! Oh and the dreams! Wow! Vivid or what?! Oooh! And my favourite part!! The Battersea homing inspector! She's called Mrs Hills! Haha! That's me!! Well, technically, it was my Mums name, but you get it.

I adored everything about this book. I love that Pat doesn't feel the need to be smutty with her romantic scenes. There's a hint of sexiness, but that's all. It's very refreshing for this genre. All in all, this series is fantastic and deserves much more recognition that it's gotten! Read it and tell your friends!
Thanks to the author for the copy in exchange for my honest review.

The Curvy Girls Club
The Curvy Girls Club
by Michele Gorman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Curvy Girls are a fantastic group of friends who just want to feel normal ..., 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Curvy Girls Club (Paperback)
Well, Michele has done it again! The Curvy Girls are a fantastic group of friends who just want to feel normal in a society somehow dominated by skinny minnies. The slimming group they attend weekly makes them all feel rubbish about themselves so eventually they make a stand and quit. They set out on their own and start planning weekly activities and soon loads of people want to join in.

I loved Katie. She's a wonderful, strong woman who knows her mind and works hard to get what she wants. Ellie is ber best friend and housemate and she is a warm, sweet, loyal friend. Pixie took me a while to warm to but I felt a bit sorry for her. That changed before the end of the book and I found myself admiring her determination. Jane was lovely and easy to identify with and I cried for her. It's a great group and I wish I had friends like them!

The message in The Curvy Girls put out there is brilliant - Love yourself, no matter what size you are. It's not easy sometimes but I think it's possible. I'm most definitely no size 12 but I walk everywhere, I do a dance class each week and I enjoy cooking healthy meals for myself and my fiancé. He always makes me feel beautiful and some days I even believe him. The Girls have helped me feel better about how others see me too.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone woman who has ever struggled with her weight, body image or confidence

The Secret of You
The Secret of You

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, heartfelt story that made me smile!, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Secret of You (Kindle Edition)
The Secret of You is a wonderful story. Anna is asked to write a piece about someone she has heard mainly negative things about and isn't looking forward to meeting William. He's an eccentric collector and it brings to mind Anna's own sister, Libby who has serious collecting issues too. When William and Anna meet at Fox Hill Manor (FHM) neither is overly impressed with the other. Soon though, the frost starts to thaw and they find some common ground. Their relationship isn't smooth though.

I can't reveal much more, the secret is one you need to uncover for yourself. But I can say that it is brilliant! I have found my favourite character from a Victoria Connelly novel in this story!

FHM sounds like a wonderful, enchanted manor and I would love to visit somewhere like that! Libby's house, on the other hand, not so much. She lives in a standard terraced house (I think) and has filled it to the brim with junk (or collectibles as she sees it). Too much clutter and mess and it causes problems in he marriage. I did, however adore little Toby, her son!

All of the lose ends are tied up perfectly and this brilliant novel ends exactly as it should. It was perfect!

A warm, heartfelt story that made me smile!

The Reluctant Elf (Kindle Single)
The Reluctant Elf (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cosy Christmas Treat, 3 Dec. 2014
I am loving all the Christmas novellas out this year and The Reluctant Elf is no exception!

Lottie is just an awesome character! I loved her so much! She's so normal and relatable that I instantly liked her. I felt the pain she did at the loss of her parents, I feel that for my Mum too and it's suffocating sometimes. She wants to be the best Mum she can to little Mabel (love the name!) and does the best she can, which makes me want to help her out!

The B&B that Aunt Kate owns is a shambles and is certainly not fit for guests, never mind a reviewer, but Lottie does her best with some help from Danny and Mabel. Christmas Day had me in stitches! I laughed so hard and I totally fell in love with Danny!

The ending of this book made me love Michele even more and I want a sequel please!!

Secret Santa
Secret Santa

5.0 out of 5 stars A hot chocolate hug of a story!, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Secret Santa (Kindle Edition)
Scarlett has never let me down! Her books are always perfection. This is a bite sized treat, ideal for snuggling up with a hot chocolate on a cold winter night,

Once again, the characters in Poldore are on form with plenty of laughs, lots of love and tons of Christmas cheer. We also meet a couple of new characters, Blake, the Hollywood movie star (sigh...) and Nick (a bit bonkers but lovely!).

Sue learns an important lesson in Secret Santa, never judge a book by its' cover. I'm so glad Blake arrived. He added a hint of glamour, some smouldering sexiness and made me (and Sue) swoon just a little. Nick also taught Sue a lesson, you're never too old for Christmas wishes. These are things a lot of people forget and it was lovely to read.

I adore Scarlett's books and this novella was no exception! If you've never read one, DO! She's just so damn good! Always warm, funny, a little cheeky and so, so lovely!

Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fabulous short story that will keep you on your toes right to the very end., 15 Nov. 2014
It seems obvious to everyone but Kate (and her Mum) that she's about to marry the wrong man. But the stars say it's a perfect match and that can't be wrong, can it?

Kate is a wonderful character although she drove me a bit mad. I wanted to shout at her that Tim wasn't right, that she shouldn't marry him. So, when she meets Nick I was jumping up and down, hoping they'd get together. I'm not going to give the game away, but let's just say, Talli keeps the suspense running.

This is a fabulous short story that will keep you on your toes right to the very end. There are plenty of Aww moments and lots of laughs too.

A lovely, bite size book from a wonderfully talented writer!

The Great Christmas Knit Off
The Great Christmas Knit Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Cold Winter Night!, 12 Nov. 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Alex is a master storyteller! Her books are pure fairy tales for the Women's Fiction generation.

#KnitOff is a perfect combination of sweet, shocking, suspenseful and festive cheer! We see some of our favourite characters return (I'm not telling, but you'll soon find out!) and meet our new friends from the quirky little village, Tindledale.

Sybs is a wonderful leading lady. She's friendly, genuine, helpful, funny but also believable because she's been hurt by people she trusted and loved. Her little Scottie, Basil is adorable and I want one even more now! I adored Hettie, Lawrence and all of the great friends we meet and I really look forward to the next book in the series.

Another thing I've really loved about #KnitOff is that despite the fact that I've never shown much interest in needle crafts before (Mum was amazing at crochet and tried to teach me but I never learned!), I now really, really want to learn to knit! I think it would be a perfect pastime for life on the bus and I could furnish it with lovely, handmade goodies!

Somewhere to Hide (The Estate Series Book 1)
Somewhere to Hide (The Estate Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!, 11 Oct. 2014
I read 60% of the book in one sitting and was left with the biggest book hangover! I couldn't stop turning the pages, I couldn't get to the end fast enough! I have never had that feeling before and I was left shaking when I finished.

Cath is a wonderfully warm, kind, sensitive woman who has faced her share of heartache and trouble in her life, yet she still opens her heart and her home to those who need her most. Through her selflessness, we meet Jess, Becky, Cheryl, Liz and Chloe. Jess and Becks are young girls who are struggling in the world that surrounds them on the Estate and find themselves getting wrapped up in the wrong circles. Becky made me cry. She is so young and troubled and broken. I just wanted to hug her and make it all better for the poor girl. But she's tough and she shows it. All of the women are great, but Becky was the one I felt most for, she was the reason I needed to know the ending.

The "baddies" in this book are so twisted and dark. Nothing is as it seems, yet it all makes sense. There are some really tense, creepy, spine tingling scenes in this brilliant book. The kind that, if you were watching a film, you'd be hiding behind a cushion, peaking with one eye... Argh, WHY ISN'T THIS A FILM YET??????!!!!!

Anyway, BRAVO Mel! This is a bloody brilliant book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series! You are definitely one to watch for in the future. You have absolutely got huge talent and a voice that needs to be heard!!

Weightless (a Romantic Comedy short story) (Kindle Single)
Weightless (a Romantic Comedy short story) (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story with a wonderful female lead., 9 Oct. 2014
Weightless is a great bite size short story. It's long enough to let you form a bond with Annabel, the lead female character. She's a lovely woman who had it tough growing up but finally managed to become comfortable in her own skin. I was like that too. I was bullied at school for being overweight and Michele wrote about this subject perfectly, with sensitivity, wisdom and humour.

Annabel is human, she makes mistakes. What I liked about her is that she owns up to her mistakes and she is prepared to face the consequences. I need to learn that lesson. I also loved how she helps Kate, above and beyond her job duties, I wish someone had done that for me as a teen.

This is a great, feel good story very much grounded in real life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8