Profile for Tishylou > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Ladies Who Launch
Ladies Who Launch

5.0 out of 5 stars Bite Sized and Sweet, 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Ladies Who Launch (Kindle Edition)
What a delicious little slice of heaven! A perfect short story to get us ready for The Sunflower Café! Bite sized and sweet!

Finding Audrey
Finding Audrey
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book that made me FEEL!!, 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Finding Audrey (Hardcover)
I absolutely cannot believe that this is the first YA book Sophie has written. Everything about Finding Audrey is perfection.

Audrey herself is one of the most real, relatable, human characters I have ever met. I love everything about her. She is vulnerable, sad, scared and lonely, trapped in her own dark world. I have been there, like so many of my friends have. The things that Audrey has gone through in her short life are enough to floor a grown woman and she still copes.

Her family are bonkers but at the same time, you *know* they would move Heaven and Earth for Audrey. When Linus enters the picture, Audrey finds her world becomes a little less dark and she begins to open up and claim her life back. I really loved the two of them together!

This wonderful book made me cry. It made me laugh, smile and think. Most importantly though, it made me FEEL. There is nothing better to a book blogger than finding that rare gem, a book that makes you feel.

Sophie, bravo on tackling a sensitive subject with heart, humour and compassion. I cannot recommend this book enough!

Review of netgalley arc.

How I Lost You
How I Lost You

5.0 out of 5 stars I would highly recommend this book to fans of Mel Sherratt and CL Taylor, 11 April 2015
This review is from: How I Lost You (Kindle Edition)
Any book that deals with children will all tug at my heartstrings. The idea that a Mother could kill her own child and not remember is really scary. Susan faces the ultimate horror as she has been convicted of the horrible crime, but has no recollection of committing it. She has lost 4 years of her life and still isn't entirely sure that her son is dead.

When things start to get creepy and nothing makes sense, Susan begins to want to find the truth. She enlists the help of Nick and Cassie and sets out to find out what really happened to her boy, Dylan. As the tale begins to unfold, with the clever use of flashbacks in to the past of Mark, Susan's ex-husband, we learn that things are not always as they seem and that if you have money, you can keep your past quiet.

There are some amazingly tense scenes in this book. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was reading faster and faster, the further I got into the story. This brought to mind Watching Over You by Mel Sherratt, which is my favourite thriller, and I loved it! The emotions are really strong as you progress through the story, you can feel the pain, the fear and the sadness just jumping from the pages.

Jenny Blackhurst is a brilliant story-teller. Her protagonist is flawed but likeable, the baddies are very clever and dark and the story flows smoothly. I would highly recommend this book to fans of Mel Sherratt and CL Taylor

Leaves for Chloe (The Leaves Series Book 2)
Leaves for Chloe (The Leaves Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I really loved reading All In the Leaves, 10 April 2015
Wow! I really loved reading All In the Leaves, the first book in this series and I have been quite excited about this, the second part of the series. And I have to say, I was not disappointed. Our friends Anna and Seamus are back, but this book focuses more on Chloe and her journey to happiness. It's not an easy road for her, as she faces much sadness and turmoil. It's not all doom and gloom though. There are plenty of laughs and lots of doggy love too.

This book rang true with me too. Chloe's journey felt like it was mine journey at times. I won't spoil the fun, but bus life comes into it, which I loved! There are so many fantastic supporting characters too, like Shell and Uncle. There's a lot of love in this book! We also get to explore Scotland, somewhere I've yet to travel to. Beautiful scenery, makes me really want to visit!

I also really love the spiritual aspect of Pat's writing. The connections and the feelings and readings. I love that stuff! Oh and the dreams! Wow! Vivid or what?! Oooh! And my favourite part!! The Battersea homing inspector! She's called Mrs Hills! Haha! That's me!! Well, technically, it was my Mums name, but you get it.

I adored everything about this book. I love that Pat doesn't feel the need to be smutty with her romantic scenes. There's a hint of sexiness, but that's all. It's very refreshing for this genre. All in all, this series is fantastic and deserves much more recognition that it's gotten! Read it and tell your friends!
Thanks to the author for the copy in exchange for my honest review.

The Curvy Girls Club
The Curvy Girls Club
by Michele Gorman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Curvy Girls are a fantastic group of friends who just want to feel normal ..., 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Curvy Girls Club (Paperback)
Well, Michele has done it again! The Curvy Girls are a fantastic group of friends who just want to feel normal in a society somehow dominated by skinny minnies. The slimming group they attend weekly makes them all feel rubbish about themselves so eventually they make a stand and quit. They set out on their own and start planning weekly activities and soon loads of people want to join in.

I loved Katie. She's a wonderful, strong woman who knows her mind and works hard to get what she wants. Ellie is ber best friend and housemate and she is a warm, sweet, loyal friend. Pixie took me a while to warm to but I felt a bit sorry for her. That changed before the end of the book and I found myself admiring her determination. Jane was lovely and easy to identify with and I cried for her. It's a great group and I wish I had friends like them!

The message in The Curvy Girls put out there is brilliant - Love yourself, no matter what size you are. It's not easy sometimes but I think it's possible. I'm most definitely no size 12 but I walk everywhere, I do a dance class each week and I enjoy cooking healthy meals for myself and my fiancé. He always makes me feel beautiful and some days I even believe him. The Girls have helped me feel better about how others see me too.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone woman who has ever struggled with her weight, body image or confidence

The Secret of You
The Secret of You

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm, heartfelt story that made me smile!, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Secret of You (Kindle Edition)
The Secret of You is a wonderful story. Anna is asked to write a piece about someone she has heard mainly negative things about and isn't looking forward to meeting William. He's an eccentric collector and it brings to mind Anna's own sister, Libby who has serious collecting issues too. When William and Anna meet at Fox Hill Manor (FHM) neither is overly impressed with the other. Soon though, the frost starts to thaw and they find some common ground. Their relationship isn't smooth though.

I can't reveal much more, the secret is one you need to uncover for yourself. But I can say that it is brilliant! I have found my favourite character from a Victoria Connelly novel in this story!

FHM sounds like a wonderful, enchanted manor and I would love to visit somewhere like that! Libby's house, on the other hand, not so much. She lives in a standard terraced house (I think) and has filled it to the brim with junk (or collectibles as she sees it). Too much clutter and mess and it causes problems in he marriage. I did, however adore little Toby, her son!

All of the lose ends are tied up perfectly and this brilliant novel ends exactly as it should. It was perfect!

A warm, heartfelt story that made me smile!

The Reluctant Elf: A funny, feel-good holiday romantic comedy (Kindle Single)
The Reluctant Elf: A funny, feel-good holiday romantic comedy (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cosy Christmas Treat, 3 Dec. 2014
I am loving all the Christmas novellas out this year and The Reluctant Elf is no exception!

Lottie is just an awesome character! I loved her so much! She's so normal and relatable that I instantly liked her. I felt the pain she did at the loss of her parents, I feel that for my Mum too and it's suffocating sometimes. She wants to be the best Mum she can to little Mabel (love the name!) and does the best she can, which makes me want to help her out!

The B&B that Aunt Kate owns is a shambles and is certainly not fit for guests, never mind a reviewer, but Lottie does her best with some help from Danny and Mabel. Christmas Day had me in stitches! I laughed so hard and I totally fell in love with Danny!

The ending of this book made me love Michele even more and I want a sequel please!!

Secret Santa
Secret Santa

5.0 out of 5 stars A hot chocolate hug of a story!, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Secret Santa (Kindle Edition)
Scarlett has never let me down! Her books are always perfection. This is a bite sized treat, ideal for snuggling up with a hot chocolate on a cold winter night,

Once again, the characters in Poldore are on form with plenty of laughs, lots of love and tons of Christmas cheer. We also meet a couple of new characters, Blake, the Hollywood movie star (sigh...) and Nick (a bit bonkers but lovely!).

Sue learns an important lesson in Secret Santa, never judge a book by its' cover. I'm so glad Blake arrived. He added a hint of glamour, some smouldering sexiness and made me (and Sue) swoon just a little. Nick also taught Sue a lesson, you're never too old for Christmas wishes. These are things a lot of people forget and it was lovely to read.

I adore Scarlett's books and this novella was no exception! If you've never read one, DO! She's just so damn good! Always warm, funny, a little cheeky and so, so lovely!

Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fabulous short story that will keep you on your toes right to the very end., 15 Nov. 2014
It seems obvious to everyone but Kate (and her Mum) that she's about to marry the wrong man. But the stars say it's a perfect match and that can't be wrong, can it?

Kate is a wonderful character although she drove me a bit mad. I wanted to shout at her that Tim wasn't right, that she shouldn't marry him. So, when she meets Nick I was jumping up and down, hoping they'd get together. I'm not going to give the game away, but let's just say, Talli keeps the suspense running.

This is a fabulous short story that will keep you on your toes right to the very end. There are plenty of Aww moments and lots of laughs too.

A lovely, bite size book from a wonderfully talented writer!

The Great Christmas Knit Off
The Great Christmas Knit Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Cold Winter Night!, 12 Nov. 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Alex is a master storyteller! Her books are pure fairy tales for the Women's Fiction generation.

#KnitOff is a perfect combination of sweet, shocking, suspenseful and festive cheer! We see some of our favourite characters return (I'm not telling, but you'll soon find out!) and meet our new friends from the quirky little village, Tindledale.

Sybs is a wonderful leading lady. She's friendly, genuine, helpful, funny but also believable because she's been hurt by people she trusted and loved. Her little Scottie, Basil is adorable and I want one even more now! I adored Hettie, Lawrence and all of the great friends we meet and I really look forward to the next book in the series.

Another thing I've really loved about #KnitOff is that despite the fact that I've never shown much interest in needle crafts before (Mum was amazing at crochet and tried to teach me but I never learned!), I now really, really want to learn to knit! I think it would be a perfect pastime for life on the bus and I could furnish it with lovely, handmade goodies!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8