Profile for Border Reiver > Reviews

Content by Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Page: 1 | 2
Snakehive® Sony Xperia E4 Laminated Leather Flip Case Cover for Sony Xperia E4 (Black)
Offered by SnakeHiveStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Feb. 2016
It fitted my phone beautifully and is a quality product.

Marmot Men's PreCip Waterproof Jacket
Marmot Men's PreCip Waterproof Jacket
Price: £92.40 - £316.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Lightwieght Waterproof, 28 April 2014
I've just bought my second Precip jacket. The first is 6 years old and some of the waterproof lining is starting to wear off at the collar and cuffs, otherwise it's very waterproof and has a good sized hood. It's not made of breathable material, but I've found that the large underarm vents help considerably with ventilation. My first Precip has been used more than any of my other waterproofs and I think it's lasted quite well. I bought these as lightweight summer jackets that can tuck into a corner of a rucksack and are easy to put on if a shower comes along.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very Comfortable Boot, Let Down By One Bit Of Poor Quality, 4 Nov. 2013
I bought these boots because of their lightness and because the comfort, especially round the ankles, where other boots are too stiff & cause bruising. They were comfortable straight from the box and needed no breaking in.
I first wore them about 2 weeks after I bought them, on a 1.5 mile walk along a well made forest path. They were so beautifully light and supremely comfortable that I thought I had found the perfect boots for me.
The next day, I set off on another walk of 12 miles and after only 1 mile, I suddenly noticed the laces on one boot go slack. One of the cast metal lace loops had snapped clean through. I re-tied the lace and carried on along a walk into mountain country that became very challenging, with very bouldery terrain to negotiate. The boots were excellent, giving good grip on rocks and mud alike, with no more breakages.
Needless to say, I have returned the boots and have replaced them with another model of Brasher Boot, this time with a different design of lacing loops.
If the metal eyelet hadn't broken, I would have given these boots 5 stars, but even though I think this was a one-off, I don't trust that design now.

Ex-Pro Olympus Li-90b, Li90b, LI90C Fast Travel-Pro Charger Olympus Tough [See Description for Models]
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great multi purpose charger, 11 May 2013
I use this now instead of the Olympus charger that came with my camera and I carry the adapter for my Panasonic camera too. Two chargers in one.

MC-SD8 Water Resistant Seal High Quality Mass Storage Memory Card Case Holder for 8 x SD SDHC Cards by King of Flash
Offered by KING OF FLASH

3.0 out of 5 stars It needs a bit re-design, 11 May 2013
No doubt this storage case is tough and waterproof, but the memory cards work loose very easily and drop out when I open the case. They need to be seated a little deeper in the recesses.

Ex-Pro High Power Plus+ Lithium Ion Digital Camera Replacement Battery for Olympus SH-50 iHS/Tough TG-1 iHS/TG-2 iHS/XZ-2 iH

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 7 Dec. 2012
So far, this is my favourite battery for my camera. It always outlasts the original Olympus battery when fully charged.

2 x SWIDO Anti-Reflective Screen Protector for Olympus Tough TG-1 / TG1 - PREMIUM QUALITY (non-reflecting, hard-coated, bubble free application)
Offered by Screen Protector Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly., 7 Dec. 2012
This has already proved a great buy, as I dropped my camera last week and there's a small indentation on the surface of the screen protector. That could have resulted in a broken screen without the screen protector..

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, but not perfect for the TG1, 7 Dec. 2012
This is an excellent camera case, with lots of space for my camera, plus two zip-pockets for storing lens cloth, spare batteries and memory cards. The only problem is that the TG1 carrying strap is so big and chunky that I have to leave it hanging out of the case annd therefore the case can only zip up half way. A double zip would make it perfect.

Olympus Tough TG-1 Rugged Digital Compact Camera - Silver (12MP, 4x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch OLED

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Rugged Outdoor Camera, 30 Sept. 2012
I'm not even an enthusiastic amateur, so this report will not be about anything technical, just my findings in 2 weeks of ownership of an Olympus TG1. This report is about how "I" found it coped with "my" needs.
Why did I buy it? Well, after having one very good compact die because of me dropping it in water and its replacement develop dark blurs on the photos because of the lens sucking in dirt (I did manage to open it and clean it myself), I needed something more resilient. I needed something waterproof, freeze-proof, shockproof and dustproof, so after reading a lot of good reports, I decided to buy the TG1 as an extra camera to my Panasonic TZ8.
How did I test it? I took it as my only camera on a 2 week walking and exploring break in Yorkshire, trying out all the features that I thought I would use and playing with a few of the others.
Findings.
1. I particularly found the heavier weight useful when trying to hold the camera steady in windy conditions and when using the video.
2. The f2.0 lens is great for shooting indoors and in poor light and I particularly liked the macro, which produced spectacular close-ups down to as little as 1cm.
3. The controls are very easy to understand and work, but I found the on/off switch a bit too sensitive and accidentally switched the camera on once or twice while putting it into its case.
4. The video is good quality and easy to use, but the camera tends to search a bit for the correct focus. All photographs were excellent, no matter the conditions.
5. The "sports" mode is useful for shooting anything that's moving quickly.
6. I like the panorama mode very much, with the camera taking care of aligning 3 shots and creating the panoramic photo.
7. Having 4x optical + 4x digital zoom isn't a problem. Combined, you have 16x magnification without any loss of quality - perfect for my needs.
8. All the special effects worked very well and although all the pre-set shooting modes that I tried worked perfectly, the Auto mode took all the thinking out of the process and it too was ideal for me.
9. The camera worked well in all conditions and I mostly kept it in my shirt pocket. Dust was easily removed with a soft cloth or a rinse under a tap.
10. The GPS worked very well in locating photo positions. When I put the grid ref into Google maps, it found the position I was standing to usually within 10m. I tested the GPS tracking on a couple of 6 hour walks and although 99% of my route was shown correctly, there was one occasion when it was nearly 1 mile out and on another occasion it showed that I had been to 2 places in Greece. So, it's not totally reliable there.
11. The battery lasted better than I thought. On a full charge of a non-Olympus battery, I took 250 12mp photos, 5 mins of HD video and did 8 hours of continuous GPS tracking. The camera indicates a possible 1hr 38mins of HD video to a 16gb SDHC card......much more than the 8 mins on the same card in my Lumix TZ8.
Conclusion. This is a great little camera for anyone who ventures out and about a bit. It's probably lacking in some areas for some people, but it's spot-on for me, although I'll still keep my TZ8 as well, for its greater versatility, although I'll have to treat it more carefully.

Panasonic Lumix TZ8 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Camera....but treat it carefully., 15 Sept. 2012
I bought my Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ8 as a replacement for a TZ7 that had "died" after water got into it. I regret not replacing "like for like" as I miss the AVCH Lite video recording of the TZ7. The video recording on the TZ8 uses much, much more memory, although it is good quality.
The TZ8 is a great camera, with lots of useful features and the picture quality is super. The only thing that has gone wrong, is that somehow, dust / lint foud its way inside and caused dark shadows on the photogaphs. I have always tended to carry my compact cameras in a pocket, rather than a case and I'm assuming that that's where the dust came from, although it never happened in 3 years with my TZ7. I looked at various options to have the camera cleaned out professionally and they were all expensive...£70+, so, using a youtube video, I opened it up and cleaned it myself. A 20 min job at no cost.
The upshot of this experience is that I've now bought a new Olympus waterproof, dustproof and shockproof camera, to use in extreme outdoor situations. I'm keeping the TZ8 because it's far too good a camera to not use - I'll just be more careful with it.

Page: 1 | 2