Profile for Susan Ritchie > Reviews

Content by Susan Ritchie

Susan Ritchie "Doing Things Differently" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Teaching The Primary Foundation Subjects
Teaching The Primary Foundation Subjects
by Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliver the foundation subjects with confidence, 30 April 2015
This is an excellent one-stop-shop guide to teaching the foundation subjects. Written by a range of experienced practitioners, each chapter contains information organised in a consistent manner under the three lens approach. This allows for each subject area to be explored by subject identity (thinking and behaving like a member of that subject community), subject pedagogy (how to teach the subject) and a toolkit ( ideas to help you deliver the subject).
Each chapter is highly readable, clear and accessible.
This book is a fabulously useful tool in a teacher's toolkit and a good starting point for investigating other avenues of research and approaches. It succinctly and effectively delivers an overview of good practice between its covers and will help teachers at the start of their careers to get to grips with delivering a wide range of subjects with confidence.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping read, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Kindle Edition)
This is a gripping read, that hooks you in from the first chapter. I found it hard to put down and had to ration myself to make it last a week. It's one of those books that you feel reluctant to finish as you wonder whether your next choice will live up to it.
Skilfully written, it will compel you towards the breath-holding moments towards the end that are hinted at in the first few pages.

An Algarve Affair (Izzie Childs Trilogy Book 1)
An Algarve Affair (Izzie Childs Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 1 Jan. 2014
This is a lovely, easy to read novel that I devoured in one day! It's a compelling tale that kept me turning the pages with enjoyment. The author paints an evocative picture of Portugal and I'm looking forward to reading the second instalment of the adventures of Izzy. Well worth a read!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 22 Aug. 2013
I've used these cards on several occasions when I've been leading workshops on coaching and mentoring. I use them as randomly generated questions throughout the day to illustrate the types of coaching questions that can be asked, and when/what situations such a question might be useful in. They always go down very well and stimulate lots of discussion.
A great resource to have in your toolkit.

The Secrets of Successful Coaches - 10 Steps to Develop a Winning Business Mindset

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive read, 28 July 2013
I read this book earlier this year and I have to say it is an impressive read, not at all in the 'woohoo' vein of overhyped nonsense that often surrounds advice given to people trying to make it in business as a coach.
It's easy and quick to read and doesn't overpromise. Instead, there are practical steps you can take to maximise your chances of success.
What I found particularly appealed to me are Karen's interviews from some of the leading lights in the coaching industry - Gladeana Macmahon and Michael Neill are very well respected coaches whose work I really admire. Also was Karen's very sensible advice that non-directive coaching may not always be what you need when you are setting up a coaching business. It wasn't for me - there was (and still is ) too much I didn't know about running a business, and have always worked with people who can give me advice. I found this honesty refreshing.
I'd recommend this book to coaches just starting out, or those who are 'stuck', as Karen makes a very credible contribution to this field.

Until You're Mine
Until You're Mine

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Kindle Edition)
I read this book over the course of one day. It's a compelling read, a definite page turner and will have you wanting to ignore whatever is going on around you as you race to finish it.
I really enjoyed the three person narrative, as it's a very clever way of moving a story forward and allowing you to see different events from different perspectives.
My only criticisms would be the storyline around Elizabeth's brothers, which I found a little hard to believe, and the ending itself which kind of left things up in the air in certain respects. I did have to take some time to re-think parts of the story after the final reveal of the 'whodunnit' and just get straight in my head who exactly was who.
Overall, a fab, quick read and I'd happily try another by the same author.

The Mistress's Revenge
The Mistress's Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 26 July 2013
I really enjoyed this. Sally's descent into depression and her own world is skilfully told and painful to witness. Anyone who has ever been dumped may recognise some of the obsessive thinking and behaviour, although hopefully not the darker stuff! I found myself wanting Clive to get his comeuppance and at the same time wanting to grab Sally and shake her. It's an undemanding read, quite compelling and very easy to complete over a couple of nights. There's a surprising twist too. I'd definitely recommend it.

Ten Weeks in Africa
Ten Weeks in Africa

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 27 Mar. 2013
I found this book difficult to put down - although it does paint a depressing picture of the aid business. The levels of corruption described are staggering and disheartening, and makes me wonder why anyone bothers at all? I fail to see any good from Ed's efforts this African country, and plenty of damage. I've been left with a far more cynical view than I held before. It's quite difficult not to feel angry with some of the biggest culprits and at times I marvelled at how Ed held his temper and sanity!

The storyline is compelling, and really hots up towards the end of the novel - it would make a great screen adaptation. The characters are believable, although I did find Sarah, Ed's wife a bit irritating at times. I'm not sure I'd label the story a 'love story' either - I certainly wasn't moved by it as much as I have been by other stories I've read ( for example the Time Traveller's Wife).

It is, however, a book that made me want to not do anything else for a few days - always a good sign!

A Family Affair: Truth in Lies (Truth in Lies, Book 1)
A Family Affair: Truth in Lies (Truth in Lies, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant reading, 23 Mar. 2013
I enjoyed this book in the end. I thought it got to the point very quickly, almost too quickly with out getting to know the characters, but they soon unfolded as the story continued.
I found the storyline interesting and would have loved more detail about how Charles kept his 14 year secret, but I suppose that would have been a different book altogether!
A bit of an abrupt ending, but the right one - for me anyway :)
All in all, this was an easy read that had me curious about the conclusion. Worth a read.

What Have I Done? (No Greater Love Book 2)
What Have I Done? (No Greater Love Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Understated shocks..., 19 Mar. 2013
I enjoyed this book. The story of the abuse is slowly revealed - and the detail is chillingly horrific. How on earth Kate endured it for so long is quite something, even with her love for her children taken into account. Mark is a terrifying control freak, a psychopath who inflicts 'punishments' of the utmost cruelty.
Kate's patience with her children is admirable, although I did find myself wanting to tell her to pick up the phone and fight a bit harder for them. The scene with her son, and his reflection on things was very touching and gave a different dimension to the story. It threw up some interesting questions for me - is it ever worth staying for someone else's sake? Will they and do they ever thank you for it? Especially with the outcome in this story. My only gripe is the ending - which I need to go back and read again. It felt abrupt.
All in all, well worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2