Profile for Kindle junkie > Reviews

Content by Kindle junkie

Kindle junkie "Kindle junkie" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Complete Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy
The Complete Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars Not been so enraptured by a book in a long time, 28 July 2016
Loved loved loved this series. Read the sample and bought the trilogy without hesitation. Somehow manages to mix down to earth humour with the fantastical. Liked how it was set on earth AND in another world at the same time. Don't think many authors could master such a complex plot while keeping the characters so real, the dialogue so engaging and the narrative so thrilling and often unexpected. Was really bowled over by this. So glad a friend recommended it...kept me entranced from beginning to end. Bought on 23rd and had finished by 28th. Now feeling a bit bereft. My only very tiny criticism was that sometimes felt there were a bit too many strands to accept...magic, resurrection, wishes like currency, worlds, other lives, teeth that somehow became bodies, a huge mix of different chimera, hamsas, the fallen....etc etc! But the author pulled it all off and pulled it off with amazing skill. Would highly recommend.

Pierced (The Pierced Series Book 1)
Pierced (The Pierced Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, original and completely engrossing, 2 May 2016
Really really enjoyed this book. I even kept trying to read more when out at the pub whenever I went to the loo! Loved the unusual, quirky main character. Even her strange obsessions and "mind" characters added originality and interest to her personality and never got annoying. Her back story is quite dark but the way her past has affected her is believable and compelling. When the story began to include the supernatural, the author kept it believable because of the humour and the pragmatic style of the narrative. Really fell in love with all the characters, especially Balak/Pink. I'd have perhaps liked Pierce to do a little less pill popping but this did not detract from the death grip this story had on me. I smiled a great deal and that is always a big plus for me. Loved the style and tone of the writing. Would definitely recommend and will be reading the rest of the series.

by Mark Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspires a realistic sense of dread and fear, 18 April 2016
This review is from: Follow You Home (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book even though was similar in tone and theme to his last one. Thought this was better than The Magpies. The author was very good at instilling a sense of real dread and fear in the reader..especially when Daniel and Laura first get to the house in the forest. It gripped me all the way through. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because (SPOILIER HERE) I hate engaging with a character (Jake) and then seeing them killed off and I didn't like the twist at the end..felt a little bit contrived and the explanation didn't fit for me nor did it fit with Laura's personality (how I had come to understand it). So the ending spoilt it a bit for me. But otherwise the book was well written, the characters well drawn and I loved the menacing atmosphere the author created.

The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy Book 1)
The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well, 15 April 2016
I liked the idea behind this book. It started well and was written well. I felt engaged with the main character and really wanted to see what happened. I won't say what happens but was disappointed with the ending. I know it is a trilogy but felt depressed after finishing this! Also found the amount of deaths and killing in the book a bit too much. I liked the idea of the "Dearth" and would have liked the book to have explained this in much greater detail/contained more debate about how to find a cure/solution. I would have also liked more personal background/stories about how it affected people rather than learning about a lot of it second-hand. Perhaps more of this side of things will be touched on in the next books. At the beginning I got a bit fed up/baffled by how often the heroine's "bladder threatened to release itself"! I found the way they treated the girls, especially when they had broken the "rules", a bit hard to swallow and didn't accept why they waited till they were 21 to try and breed a girl baby. It seemed to me a great idea that did not reach its potential. Much of the book was enjoyable but some of the action was repetitive and I found myself struggling to maintain interest towards the end. The characters were well drawn but I am not sure I will continue with this series.

The Second Wife
The Second Wife
by Kishan Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a favourite but strong story, 9 April 2016
This review is from: The Second Wife (Paperback)
OFFICIAL REVIEW
20 people found the following review helpful
Book Reviewed by Rebecca (author,reviewer)

[ Review Posted: Feb 29, 2016 ] - See all my reviews
THE SECOND WIFE by Kishan Paul is a thriller about a woman who is kidnapped by a terrorist and the devastating impact this has, not only on Alisha herself, but on her husband, David, who was left not knowing what happened to her. The story revolves around Alisha's attempts to adjust to an extremely difficult existence in a foreign country forcibly married to a man she loathes and David's attempts to adjust to her absence, which are later redirected towards trying to rescue her.

The story begins with Alisha discovering she has been abducted and then moves between different timelines and between Ally and Dave's perspectives from chapter to chapter. I did find this a little disorientating and would have preferred the timeline to be more linear and to have had had longer with each character at a time in order to build up more of an emotional connection.

We discover that a man called Sayeed, whom Ally met when she was treating him as his psychologist, has brought her to his compound in Pakistan and made her his "second wife", hence the title of the book. He expects her to be flattered by his choice and to just accept her new life. She is slowly given more freedom but is subjected to rape, brutality and threats of harm to David and her family if she tries to escape. We are introduced to Sayeed's doctor Nasir, who tries to help Ally but is obligated to Sayeed because Sayeed is paying for his ill wife's treatment. The author also brings in some other characters within the compound such as the "first" wife Alyah and the guard, Amir. Ally forms a bond with Reema, a servant girl who has also suffered loss and who begins to talk to her when she was mute before.

The author broadens the scope of the story by bringing in Eddie, a kind of CIA mercenary, to help David and by developing the idea that Sayeed is working for a organisation much like Al Qaeda. Ally also forms a bond with the boys living there who are being trained up to be suicide bombers. I liked the way the author elicits our sympathy for these boys and allows us to see their humanity when the West just brands them as terrorists. I think the author could have built on this even more if there were more details and narrative to the relationship Ally develops with one boy, Umber.

I noticed that Ally refers to herself as Sara (her new name) from quite an early stage in the book. This was slightly confusing as a reader, especially since she was also called "Didi" (meaning sister) as well. However, it was fairly effective in putting across how Ally had to fully adopt her new identity in order to numb herself against the reality of her situation and the life she had lost.

Ally/Sara is an empathetic character and the author did a good job of making her reactions and emotions believable and making the circumstances of her new life harrowing and convincing. I also started to like Eddie, who we learn has other motives for helping David. I did find it a little strange the way Reema was constantly referred to as a child when she was an adult of eighteen, though I appreciate that this was probably to emphasise her youth and inexperience. I would have liked to learn more about her burgeoning relationship with Amir first hand. I do think that other characters and interactions could have been developed a little more. For example, we know that Sayeed is selfish and cruel but I would have liked to have a direct insight into his relationship with others, especially the boys who called him father, and to have perhaps learnt something more of his background and how his obsession with Ally grew.

I did find the ending a little anti-climatic but this was partly because I did not realise that the book was not a stand-alone novel. The story did keep my interest and the author writes well and eloquently. The many facets of the situation Ally found herself in and the way she was affected by her experience came across very well and very credibly. However, I would have liked to eventually see much more warmth and romance between David and Ally as she overcame her conditioning.

THE SECOND WIFE by Kishan Paul is a well-written story with a strong central character and an interesting, well-researched plot. It is a frank portrayal of an ordinary woman fighting to survive in a world where she has been robbed of all dignity and rights. If you are looking for something very romantic, then you won't find it with this book. However, the author tells a very plausible story and, though this book may not win you over with its charm, it may instead win you over with its rawness.
Read and reviewed for The Romance Reviews. Received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
See more at: [...]

The Priest of Blood: A Vampire Dark Fantasy Epic (The Vampyricon Book 1)
The Priest of Blood: A Vampire Dark Fantasy Epic (The Vampyricon Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 April 2016
I've read and enjoyed quite a few books by this author and he rarely disappoints. This book is definitely one of his best and I have already ordered the next in the series. Utterly amazed by the scope of this book and this author's seemingly unlimited imagination. Blends what reads like a real, quite harrowing history of a boy living in medieval times with a mind boggling story of vampires, dark religion and a shadowy realm beyond our sight. He does a fabulous job of showing the depths and the heights of the human spirit as well as the futility and struggle of our existence in a very dark narrative that still manages to be infused with a sense of mystery, hope and love. I have never read a story about vampires where their history and how they feel and act are described in such compelling, fascinating detail. A five star, epic style horror I would highly recommend.

Out of Sight Out of Mind: A breath-taking psychological thriller (Dark Secrets Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but lost its way, 26 Mar. 2016
I really enjoyed Evonne's first novel so had high expectations with this. Loved the beginning..the injured and dirty but sexy homeless man, the weird mental energy between the two characters etc. I also liked the idea of him not knowing who he was and the tension and mystery this created. However, as the story progressed it got more and more convoluted and improbable. The big reveal about who Jay was just fell flat for me..I think because it was too tied up with all the elements of the story I didn't like such as the tired old trope of some big sinister "organisation" (very uninventive with the name!) working behind the scenes. Even the mind reading abilities, which should have been exciting, became both clinical and confusing. I'm not sure why the author introduced us to the thoughts of minor characters and then never developed them. I also felt she spent way too long with Jay and Madison dithering over their attraction to each other. I found a lot of it just too silly and unbelievable towards the end. I think the story would have benefitted from some ruthless editing and a change of direction. I think the author is a good writer and I liked both main characters and did enjoy the book a lot at first. It was a good idea but I think the plot should have been kept simpler with a more unpredictable twist. I would read more from this author but would recommend her first book before this one.

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, Book 1)
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, engrossing read. Amazing storytelling., 27 Feb. 2016
Really enjoyed this book. It has been a while since I read a book I couldn't put down. Beautifully written and engaging characters I really believed in. I liked how the author didn't make it a straightforward love story between the two main protagonists as Elias has a strong friendship and love for Helene and Laia has feelings for Keenan. The Trials were imaginative, dark and testing. All I could see in my mind's eye with the Commandant was Cate Blanchett! I would have preferred it if it wasn't based on ancient rome as don't think it needed it and was a very different world. The names like Centurion jarred with me as thought the author was imaginative enough to come up with her own unique names. I also thought it odd that the Scholars couldn't read/were banned from reading when they were "scholars" after all and books hadn't helped them against the Martials. However these were only tiny niggles and perhaps stood out because the quality of everything else was so high. I think the violence in the book was a bit extreme at times and I couldnt quite get my head around the masks themselves and how they still left a face able to show expression or how Elias's would look not properly melded to him..this will probably become clear with the film?!
Overall a fantastic, engrossing read. Can't wait for the next one.

I Don't Want to Talk About It: A wonderful romance with a twist - the perfect holiday read

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this author, 16 Oct. 2015
Really like this author. Every book has been fab. Love the dialogue and characters. She is a very clever talented writer. The twin thing was very interesting for me as i am a twin. I guessed the twist quite early on but it didn't make it less enjoyable. Really like the way the author portrays loveable but flawed people. I always get immersed in her stories and the human/emotional aspect of her books is always very strong. I havent read a bad book by her yet.

The Children's Hour: A Supernatural Thriller
The Children's Hour: A Supernatural Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for horror fans, 16 Oct. 2015
Love this author. I've only recently discovered him and rarely disappoints. This is another mesmerising read. He is as good if not better than Stephen King so not sure why he is not as well known. Characters well drawn and believable. His writing is captivating and quirky at times which fits so well with the strange and often dreamlike atmosphere he creates. The evil he portrays somehow manages to be obscenely physical and spiritual at the same time. He creates an immersive world where you feel constantly on a knife edge of fear, where what seems a normal world with very ordinary people can shift at any time into a nightmare. And yet you also feel the rollercoaster of emotions, love, loss and quandaries along with the characters. A brilliant writer and a must read for horror fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8