Profile for C. Wildervanck > Reviews

Content by C. Wildervanck

C. Wildervanck (Overschild, the Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Living and the Dead in Winsford
The Living and the Dead in Winsford
by Håkan Nesser

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Nesser standard, 11 May 2016
At exactly one quarter of the book something happens that makes you wonder if it's worth the trouble to continue reading. At the end you know: no it wasn't. I liked the descriptions of one of my favorite British areas. But for the rest you know there is just one way this can end. And, yes, what about those foreign newspapers in the car that keeps popping up? Hope the next Nesser is a Van Veeteren again!

ClimAir CLI0033645 Wind Deflector Pro Skoda Yeti Type 5l 5 Door 2009 Onwards
ClimAir CLI0033645 Wind Deflector Pro Skoda Yeti Type 5l 5 Door 2009 Onwards

1.0 out of 5 stars Causes large black spot, 22 Aug. 2015
These things impair vision very dangerously. I removed them from my Yeti after the first near miss on a roundabout!

Skoda Fabia II ab 4/07: pflegen - warten - reparieren
Skoda Fabia II ab 4/07: pflegen - warten - reparieren
by Hans-Rüdiger Etzold

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not find what I was looking for, 16 Feb. 2015
As there are no workshop manuals for my Skoda Yeti yet (please correct me if I'm wrong!) I thought I might find a lot of things I was looking for in this manual. One thing was the 1.2 TSI engine, which has a doubtful reputation because of timing chain problems. So I hoped I would find how to change this chain. I did not. I found it elsewhere on the internet in the meantime and it does not seem too difficult for an experienced amateur, so I think it should have been in this book. Another thing I was looking for were wiring codes and colours, because I had mixed up the wiring when mounting new loudspeakers (even easier than changing a timing chain, yes, I admit). The only wiring that did NOT have a colour code in the manual was the loudspeaker wires...
Mind you, there is a lot of useful information in this book, but I hope you'll understand I was disappointed.

How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
by Pema Chodron

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 16 Feb. 2015
When reading a book I have this habit of folding over the top corner of a page and make an indent with my thumb nail on pages and paragraphs that I think are important and worth remembering. As a result my copy of 'How to meditate' grew about twice as thick. I have done some meditation courses and guided meditation and read about the subject, but for the first time here is this gentle unassuming lady who took me by the hand and explained everything, including the 'why's' of things I learned before.
Pema Chödrön does this without any of the woolly lecturing one finds in other books on the subject. She includes some of her own experiences without becoming dramatic, and includes some gentle irony occasionally. Wonderful!
I can't imagine a better book to teach you clearly how to meditate in a most pleasant, inspiring way.

The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1) (The Wide World Trilogy)
by Robert Goddard

2.0 out of 5 stars Goddard has done his readers and himself a very bad turn., 11 Aug. 2014
I may have grown more critical over the years but I did not think this a very good book by Goddard standards. None of the subtle tension of his older books, very flat characters, and characters that turn from bad guy into good guy and vice versa in a very implausible way. The plot deserves a better story. The obligation to buy two more books to find out 'who did it' is a shameless all-time low in commercialism, of course. I for one won't buy them! Goddard has done his readers and himself a very bad turn.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 8:07 PM GMT

Munster's Case: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Munster's Case: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
by Hakan Nesser

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the same -excellent- book under two titles, 3 July 2014
I liked this book very much indeed, a typical Van Veeteren. But as is mentioned by other reviewers, it is an 'old' book, formerly titled "The unlucky lottery.' That Amazom now suggests you buy BOTH books together is commercialism taken a bit far, isn't it?

The True Story of Skoda
The True Story of Skoda
by Dave Randle

4.0 out of 5 stars Well documented and very entertaining, 25 Jun. 2014
Having just ordered a new Skoda and being a classic car fan I was happy to discover this book. I enjoyed it very much indeed. Pleasant surprises were the general historical background of the factory's history, and the way Randle writes: in a very entertaining (as far as I, being Dutch, can judge) 'classic' English style, with some irony thrown in, for instance about 'a shooting incident in Belgrade' that started World War 1.
Still, in certain places, the book turns into a a little dry summing up of new types of Skoda that are introduced. Some flies in the ointment buzz by when continental cars are dealt with. Randle often mentions the Opel Kadett when I think he means the Opel (Olympia) Rekord. The biggest blooper is when Borgward is mentioned as an example of Eastern European car makers. Probably he meant Wartburg. Borgward was a near-Mercedes like capitalistic car maker. I've never seen a picture of Carl Borgward without a big cigar.
But all in all a very interesting, well-documented and well-written book which deserves to be reprinted!

How to Improve & Modify Your Caravan (Essential Manual Series)
How to Improve & Modify Your Caravan (Essential Manual Series)
by Lindsay Porter

4.0 out of 5 stars Partly just fitting instructions but still inspiring, 7 Jun. 2014
This book is not 'essential' and it is not 'in depth.' A lot of the jobs described are actually (be it mostly well illustrated) fitting instructions for commercial accessories, which would come with their own instructions when bought. There is not a lot of real do-it-yourself jobs like building a cupboard or table. Also, I agree with the reviewer who showed himself disappointed because you often are advised to have even a simple 12 V job completed by a professional.
Still, the descriptions mentioned give you an idea what you are letting yourself in for when you think of buying an accessory. Also, the book starts you dreaming about all kinds of improvements you can make to your caravan. And also it inspires you to make something yourself which is described as a commercial accessory. For instance the moment you see the commercial corner steady tubes described, you see that they're easily and much more cheaply made out of a length of plastic tube. And you'll have to make wooden blocks yourself anyway so they'll align with the steady hexagons. As the author (who writes in a nice informal way, anyway) comments: 'Life is never straightforward...'

Ford Ranger Owner's Manual (Europe)
Ford Ranger Owner's Manual (Europe)

1.0 out of 5 stars Even worse than the car itself, 10 Nov. 2013
I happen to own this car so I tried to read the manual as well. There are umpteen versions of the vehicle and mostly it is not clear which one the text is dealing with. In many cases it suggests there are alternative settings which just are not there. Pictures leave you uncertain where they are taken. The index is useless.
So ergonomically it's even worse than the car itself, and that's saying something. Well, at least the (e-)book doesn't crunch loudly when you read about changing gears, and the pages have not got rusty. Yet.

Headhunters
Headhunters
by Jo Nesbo

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs down, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I did not like this book. It's far below Nesbo's usual quality. The plot is improbable. The characters don't come alive very much.
Also, I wonder if there's any Dutchman called Clas, and a blue Massey Ferguson is highly improbable as well. Both things show author's laziness and lack of respect for his reader.
I couldn't help wondering if this story was written by Nesbo a very long time ago and the publisher only decided to publish it now that Nesbo has made his name.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3