Profile for JohnMD > Reviews

Killer Sudoku
Killer Sudoku
by Stuart Pawley

4.0 out of 5 stars killer, 3 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Killer Sudoku (Paperback)
Some interesting killer sudoku . Starts easy and gets more difficult . The saturday Killer Sudoku from the Guardian is a favorite so I hoped that this book would be the same . I'm still working though the easier puzzles but they are fairly good so I'm hopeful that the latter puzzles will be OK .

Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZB143B 4GB USB Walkman - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Walkman, 12 Oct. 2009
I got this to handle stuff that my earlier walkman could not . That one only worked with Sony software and could handle mp3 files except some very long files .
This player has none of these problems but needs third party software ie Windows Media player to rip CDs . This is a disadvantage since WMP always seems to make a mess of this , failing to find the details for the Album which it saves as unknown . I have instead switched to I Tunes which does seem to find the details and is easier to use when it doesn't.
The player itself is very nice to use and sounds pretty good although the sound level is lower than the earlier player . The older sony was also better at compressing the files using their own alterative to MP3 which I still think sounds good .Somewhat shorter battery life but still very good .
So; easy to use , drag and drop works and sound quality is as good as before ( except ,of course , the files are larger ).

Reger: Organ Works Vol.9
Reger: Organ Works Vol.9

4.0 out of 5 stars Organ, 12 Oct. 2009
Yet another nice issue in this series . The price is pretty good to .

The Day The Earth Stood Still [Blu-ray] [2008]
The Day The Earth Stood Still [Blu-ray] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars blu ray?, 25 April 2009
I loaded this onto my computer and it wouldn't work . Seems I need an upgrade which I couldn't get . Why do they do stuff like this ? It doesn't improve the picture only annoys buyers with a product that is useless. However the digital copy allowed me to watch the film . I found this less than perfect. I expected something different from the original , which was a classic, and there I was not disappointed .Unfortunately it was not a change for the better . K R was perfect as an alien but the story failed to convince . Those aliens just wanted to destroy so were no better than us . I was hoping that before the end somebody would send the interfering busybodys home with a flea in their ear .Who the hell are they to lecture us ?

Rheinberger - Organ Works Vol 7
Rheinberger - Organ Works Vol 7

4.0 out of 5 stars organ music, 1 Feb. 2009
Another good release from Naxos of an interesting Composer . I have got most of these Organ Naxos CD's and they are always good value .

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 Jun. 2008
I've been a fan since 'Surfing with the alien ' and his albums are always enjoyable and usually I listen a couple of times on my MP3 player before deleting . This one however is staying on along with 'Surfing' . It may just be me but I really enjoy this one and it gets better each time I listen . A nicely balanced collection .

Half Life 2: Episode Pack (PC)
Half Life 2: Episode Pack (PC)
Offered by GamersCorner

3.0 out of 5 stars half as good, 2 Jun. 2008
Let's be clear , this looks great . Episode 1 is a bit short but I finished it although I found it more difficult than half life 2 . More suitable to somebody with rapid reactions rather than brains .
Episode 2 is even worse requiring very little thought but much quicker reactions . I found parts of it completely impossible due to the speed and power of the aliens .I can't comment on the whole game as I've failed to complete it because of this .I'm just glad I waited for this issue which was quite good value . Fantastic look and feel but too little thought required.
Definitely inferior to Half life 2 unless you like action more than puzzles.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 5:03 PM BST

Dietrich Buxtehude: Vocal Music 2
Dietrich Buxtehude: Vocal Music 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a walk, 11 Feb. 2008
This is a delightful record . I started listening to the Organ music of Buxtehude after reading that J S Bach walked hundreds of miles to listen to his music . Well that was OK so when I found a bargain release of this Vocal music I brought the Album and listened to it and enjoyed it so much that I listened to it again right away . Volume 1 is pretty good too.

Sony NWE015 - 2GB MP3 Walkman- With 30hrs Battery Life & Colour Display - Black
Sony NWE015 - 2GB MP3 Walkman- With 30hrs Battery Life & Colour Display - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars sony, 1 Jun. 2007
this must be the latest version . The software supplyed is the latest 4.3 which seems much the same as earlier versions. I find this player works well with MP3 and of course the sony atrac is very good . The main problem is that you must use the software and I have found that changing a hard drive will not allow you to move files back since the player assumes you are trying to save tracks to a different computer . I also found the software merged two differently named playlists that had come from two similarly named albums (#1 #2) into one on the player .This defeats the whole point of creating playlists .labelling the tracks 1-n etc solves the problem .

Anyhow the player is worth the snags and it turns off very quickly if you press the pause/start button and restarts in less than 2 seconds where it left off . Recharge is very fast and a full charge took 35 minutes .

Last of the Summer Wine - Series 1 & 2 [1973] [DVD]
Last of the Summer Wine - Series 1 & 2 [1973] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars first summer, 23 April 2007
I still like these programs after all these years .A couple of points however . Firstly the pilot program is missing from this issue which is rather suprising given that UK Gold etc have shown it along with the episodes in these DVDs . Michael Aldrich wasn't in those early episodes as detailed above ,in fact Michael Bates played Blamire in the first two series .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5