Profile for james close > Reviews

Content by james close

james close "threegatesexpress" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Duronic SP400 (Red/Chrome) Smart-Pointer 2.4Ghz RF Wireless Presenter with Mouse Function and Laser Pointer + 2 Years Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars best one I've used, 2 Mar. 2012
I regularly give presentations and have tried many of these devices, although this is the first I have bought for myself. Anyone presenting from a PC should use one of these as it means that you are not punctuating your speech with trips to your laptop.

It installed first time (Windows XP), is very simple to use (with button placement that means you don't need to look at it every time), and has all the features you might need (forward, back, move in and out of presentation mode, blank screen, plus a laser light pointer). I also like the fact that it's red as you can spot it quickly if you put it down mid-presentation.

I am absolutely delighted with it.

Bi-Office 1200 x 1500mm Gridded Non Magnetic Revolver Board - White
Bi-Office 1200 x 1500mm Gridded Non Magnetic Revolver Board - White

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid, 2 Mar. 2012
As I write this, the product is currently unavailable and not in stock. A good thing too.

The description has been changed slightly, but the headline description says "Bi-office Revolver Mobile Magentic (sic) and Drywipe board 1500x1200mm". It is a dry-wipe board and it is 1500x1200mm. It isn't magnetic, and don't be fooled by the photo or descriptions because the stand is not included; so, it's mobile if you want to pick it up and walk around with it.

The product and technical descriptions have been changed, but in general I think that the overall product listing is misleading and not what I would expect from Amazon.

The product was delivered on time, but it took over a month and final notice of issuing legal proceedings to have it collected and to receive a refund. The seller was Don Ruffles Limited.

Waterways & Wetlands: A Practical Handbook
Waterways & Wetlands: A Practical Handbook
by Elizabeth Agate
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative read, 4 Nov. 2011
This is one of my better recent purchases on this subject matter, read in the context of my plan to restore a large old silted-up pond. Firstly, the book is well structured and you can read cover to cover or dip in and out very easily. The coverage of the subject is comprehensive enough for the lay reader or aspiring volunteer, and also has plans and guidelines aimed at leaders of groups of volunteers. I would hope that the latter are better informed than the depth of reading in this book, but nonetheless the contents may help with organising a group of people to work on such a project.

There are many pictures and diagrams to bring clarity to the more complex projects, and in particular I appreciated the section on dams and sluices which was excellent, using copious illustrations to explain some complex concepts. That section has probably saved me making some big, costly, and probably dangerous mistakes, and in itself justified the investment in this book.

From the array of books on offer covering this subject, I doubt that there are many better and I thoroughly recommend it.

Garmin Replacement Band/Strap for Forerunner 405 - Black
Garmin Replacement Band/Strap for Forerunner 405 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars pricey, but now as good as new again, 23 Aug. 2011
The kit comprises the two straps, replacement pins, and a tool to help you carry out the job. It needs some patience, good eyesight, but ultimately it's not too difficult, and if I had to do this again it would take seconds.

I bought this because the buckle had come off one of the straps on my Garmin 405, rendering it almost useless (you really can't use it effectively carrying it in a pocket). With the replacement, the watch is as good as new again.

Before you try to replace the strap, search on You Tube for "replace Garmin 405 strap" and there's a short video showing you how to do it.

Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
Dissolution (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 23 Aug. 2011
Having previously read Winter in Madrid, I bought this as one of my holiday reads for summer 2011. I wasn't disappointed. Sansom creates an unlikely hero in Shardlake, a hunchback with a less than perfect character. The book follows his appointment by Lord Cromwell to investigate a murder, and the twists and turns along the way. It had me guessing until close to the final page, and builds super tension. Sansom's attention to historical detail is so compelling that I am sure that it will colour my view of the actual history of the period - whether true or not!

Highly recommended, I will now move on to the next in the series.

Vango Trek Self Inflating Mat Red red Size:extra lang
Vango Trek Self Inflating Mat Red red Size:extra lang
Offered by Summits outdoor

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive comfort for something so small, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought one of these recently to replace an inflatable bed, and found it to be deceptively comfortable used on a ground sheet on relatively flat terrain. Basically, you unscrew the stopper and the sponge filling fills up with air and then you close the stopper again. To put it away, unscrew the stopper and roll it up. Comes with a stuff sack which it fits into without a wrestling match(hooray!).

My advice is to buy the longest version of this that you can.

Portugal Insight Guide (Insight Guides)
Portugal Insight Guide (Insight Guides)
by Apa

5.0 out of 5 stars best new traveller's guide, 23 Aug. 2011
Once again the Insight Guide proves to be the best book to carry with you when travelling abroad. If you want deep, off-piste knowledge, then head for the Rough Guide books, otherwise Insight gives you all the major sights, great maps, and a reasonable amount of local knowledge.

AA 7-Piece Euro Travel Kit
AA 7-Piece Euro Travel Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars all you'll need to meet the legal requirements for continental driving, 23 Aug. 2011
This offers a one-stop shop for the things you'll need to drive in most continental European countries.

The book is a useful confirmation of what you can find on the web anyway, but the other bits give you the secure knowledge that you meet the legal requirements for most countries.

All you'll need then is a SatNav that works in Europe!

Sunwise Windrush Interchangable Sunglasses - Black
Sunwise Windrush Interchangable Sunglasses - Black
Offered by SportsShoes Unlimited

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value I've found, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Windrush (Eyewear)
After much researching of running/sports sun glasses, these looked like the best value available. Not wanting to pay the outrageous prices for the branded Oakleys (etc.), I wanted some with interchangeable lenses, but without compromise on the quality.

I have worn these several times now, trying all of the lenses, and I am so pleased. Light, comfortable, non-slip, the frames are the perfect specification for my needs of running and mountain biking. The lenses are very simply to change, and all offer excellent quality vision without any apparent imperfections. The dark lenses will probably see most use in bright light, but I have also used the yellow in the rain (making it feel brighter than it really is), the orange for changeable conditions, and the clear just as protection against wind and debris whilst cycling at night.

Top quality at a sensible price. Don't be fooled into paying lots more for top branded imitations!

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Madrid
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Madrid
by Christopher Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect guide for your stay in Madrid, 5 Oct. 2010
I have travelled to Madrid many times on business, but never really seen the tourist sights. I recently had to stay over a long weekend, so bought this guide to help me choose what to see and where to find it. Firstly, it fits easily into a pocket, or, you can take the smaller accompanying map instead of the whole book. It sets out the top 10 sights, together with a few pages of the information you'd expect - opening times, prices, etc. There are then many pages of additional options for you, including places to eat and stay.

I'm very pleased that I bought it and recommend it as a minimum requirement for a stay in Madrid. It's a great city - enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4