Profile for Anne Davis > Reviews

Content by Anne Davis

Anne Davis (Gloucester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Angel Tree
The Angel Tree
by Lucinda Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Lucinda Riley!, 4 April 2016
This review is from: The Angel Tree (Paperback)
I simply love this author! Ever since stumbling on The Italian Girl, I can't get enough of her books and this is no exception. Her characters, her locations and her plots transport you to another world and you simply cannot put the book down. I particularly like the way Lucinda Riley writes with series of flash backs which tell the story. This is real feel-good escapism which at times has you on the edge of your seat and I thoroughly recommend it!

Outlander - Season 1 (Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Outlander - Season 1 (Collector's Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caitriona Balfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful!, 12 Jan. 2016
I first read these books many years ago and they have stayed with me and remained among the best I have ever read so I was delighted when I heard they had been dramatised. I was given the box set for Christmas and have just finished watching it. So often when you have loved a book and look forward to the dramatisation you can be disappointed either by the characters not being quite right or the story going off the rails. Not this time! Jamie and Claire were perfect and exactly as I had envisaged them and the story, as far as I can remember stayed very true to the book. If you are a fan of the books you will love this and if you haven't read them already you will certainly want to after watching this. Be warned, however, the title of the first book in this country is Crosstitch. I can't wait for the next series to come out!

Lionheart
Lionheart
by Sharon Penman

3.0 out of 5 stars A real strain on the eyes!, 6 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Lionheart (Paperback)
I can't really give a proper rating of this book at the moment as I am still reading it but having just read other reviews I felt I must write and say how much I agree with the person who mentioned the small print. I love reading in bed before lights out but cannot see to read this by my bedside lamp - it really is a struggle and is spoiling for me what could be a great book as I love Sharon Penman's novels. I wish I had done what the other reader did and returned the book and downloaded it on my kindle. I will certainly do this with the sequel!

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stop reading!, 6 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Absolutely edge of your sear stuff. I literally couldn't put it down. A very clever plot which has you switching sympathies as you go through. Thoroughly recommend this book but be prepared to lose sleep!

The Midnight Rose
The Midnight Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Midnight Rose (Kindle Edition)
I am so happy that Amazon recommended this author to me. This is the third book I have read and they just get better and better. This is another of her dual time zone stories which moves between the early years of the 20th century and the present day. A beautifully constructed story with believable characters, stunning locations and a plot that makes it very difficult to put down. Thoroughly recommended!

Here be Dragons
Here be Dragons
by Sharon Penman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Here be Dragons (Paperback)
I have read several of Sharon Penman's books including the wonderful Sunne In Splendour and I do think of all the excellent historical writers she is the best. I find her books very educational and totally enthralling. This is the first of a trilogy and tells the story of the welsh Prince Lewellyn and his wife Joanna who was King John's illegitimate daughter. It is their love story which made this book really special for me though there is plenty of action with strife between England and Wales. I read well into the night and my only problem was that I didn't order the second book early enough and I had to wait a couple of days watching the postman and willing it to come so I could get on with the story. Happily I am now well into it and will order the third volume in plenty of time!

Breaking Bad - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Breaking Bad - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Series, 25 April 2014
I first decided to watch this after seeing Bryan Cranston on the Graham Norton show. It is so different from my normal style of programme but from the first episode I was completely obsessed! My only problem with it is that I sit down to watch one episode and three hours later I am still there! I am now into series 3 and I still haven't a clue how it will end. FANTASTIC!

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
by Jodi Picoult

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely powerful, moving novel, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Storyteller (Paperback)
It seems all wrong to say I enjoyed this book because the subject matter is harrowing to say the least. It is the story of a Nazi war criminal, now in his nineties, who befriends a young American girl and asks her to help him die and to forgive him for his crimes. It turns out that her grandmother was herself a survivor of the Haulocaust and has suffered at the hands of this particular SS Guard during her time at Auschwitz. We hear the horirific first hand account of what the Jews went through and then we hear the equally terrible first hand account of an SS Officer who carried out the punishments. The story is riveting with a clever twist at the end and will stay with you for many days after finishing this book.

Cannery Row
Cannery Row
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Qurky and 'feel good' novel, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Cannery Row (Audio Download)
I absolutely love this book and must have listened to it at least half a dozen times already. It is packed full of wonderful whacky characters who are sometimes sad, sometimes funny but always interesting and I always come to the end with a great big smile on my face! The plot is relatively simple - it describes how the inhabitants plan to give Doc a surprise party. The first attempt goes horribly wrong but they valiantly try again and this time all is well. I have read (or listened to) three John Steinback novels - 'The Grapes of Wrath', 'Of Mice and Men' and this one and they are all completely different, whereas some authors seem to stick to the same style and genre. Whereas 'The Grapes of Wrath' is a very dark sort of book and 'Of Mice and Men' (another of my favourites) is incredibly poignant, 'Cannery Row' is just a joy.

Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)
Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 1 Nov. 2013
My daughter-in-law has been telling me about these books for months but I really didn't think they were my scene. Eventually I downloaded the first onto my kindle (another first for me as I normally prefer to read real books. I have to say I was completely entranced with the story and quickly went on to read the whole trilogy. OK, it is very 'fantasy' complete with dragons who come to life and people who can change into animals and back again, but the characters are so strong it makes the whole thing believable. My favourite character of all is the wolf 'Nighteyes' who is 'witted' with the main character Fitz, meaning they are able to talk to one another and know the others thoughts - I know, it sounds crazy but it really works! There are other great characters too including Verity and the Fool and evil Regal and plenty of excitement along the way. Altogether a brilliant (and surprising for me) read. I have already downloaded the Tawny Man Trilogy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5