Profile for Gayle > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 11 Sept. 2016
The Lonely Life of Biddy Weir is an extremely moving story from beginning to end. The seriousness of the subject makes it, at times heartbreaking and the author details the darkness of bullying in a raw and unrelenting nightmare. It is also a heartwarming, uplifting and poignant novel. Allen cleverly paints vibrant colours into all the characters, good or bad making this a memorable and addictive read. This is a large hot chocolate and a packet of Kimberley biscuits wrapped up in a wonderful book.

Stasi Child: A Chilling Cold War Thriller (The Oberleutnant Karin Müller series)
by David Young

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent thriller set in a compelling backdrop, 20 May 2016
This is a well researched, excellent thriller set in a compelling backdrop. A very dark and intriguing page turner.

Learning to Speak American: A life-affirming story of starting again
Learning to Speak American: A life-affirming story of starting again

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written., 20 May 2016
A very poignant, moving, heart warming and at times, heart breaking story. A beautifully written novel.

Tall Oaks: A gripping tale of a small town gone wrong
Tall Oaks: A gripping tale of a small town gone wrong

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is, this novel is superb ..., 16 May 2016
All I can say is, this novel is superb from the gripping start to the shocking end. Chris Whitaker is a genius. Read it.

Jacques: An uplifting and moving story of love and loss
Jacques: An uplifting and moving story of love and loss

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising and magical, 1 Feb. 2016
There are so many passages in this book that I read more than once - too numerous to mention here. The beautiful, descriptive writing is mesmerising. You know a novel is going to be good when it evokes such strong emotions from the first few pages, that magical feeling which cradles you from beginning to end. This is a story to treasure and one that I will read and enjoy again and again.

The Exclusives: No one can hurt you more than a friend
The Exclusives: No one can hurt you more than a friend

5.0 out of 5 stars A constant page turner., 15 Jan. 2016
A very original story, set in the past and present, using two very different settings and I really enjoyed reading about both, eager to find out what happened in the past but equally what was to be the conclusion. The two main characters, best friends, are completely different in personality, both appealing but with an edge and the change from adolescence to adults in each alternating chapter is distinct and clear, quite a skill. In fact, all Thornton's characters, whether you're reading about them in the past or the present are set apart from one another but maintain the essence of their personalities from child to adult. I found myself feeling all sorts of emotions towards both women/girls; Thornton has you constantly asking, what would I do in that situation, making this debut novel a constant page turner. I can't wait to read more from this author.

The Hidden Legacy: A Dark and Gripping Psychological Drama
The Hidden Legacy: A Dark and Gripping Psychological Drama

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and atmospheric, 27 Nov. 2015
There are very few books to have gripped me by the arms from start to finish, but this is one of them. The characters are all very distinct, clear and bold, none merging together, making them easy to distinguish between and remember separately. The scenery and details written by Minett are another subject altogether, so vivid and atmospheric, I felt the cold, the snow, the rain and the wind whenever it appeared; smelt the coffee, tasted the food; the cottage I wanted to travel to and search, to sit by the fire so I could watch the story unfold. This is a beautifully written novel, holding no bias towards the difficult issue it is centred around, just cleverly presented for the reader to experience whatever emotions may arise during their time within the folds of this book, provoking much thought. I enjoyed this novel immensely, so eager was I to find out what happened at the end, I felt as though the handbrake was pulled on sharply, as I skidded towards the conclusion; the entire story and atmospherics produced by the author have stayed with me since, a book I will never forget.

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged: A heartwarming romantic comedy
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged: A heartwarming romantic comedy

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, funny read, 27 Nov. 2015
My heart feels warmer for reading this wonderful book, albeit a tiny bit sore from the sad parts. This novel is an extremely amusing read and, for most of the book I felt as though I was sitting opposite Sofia listening to her talk about her life, her character is so vivid and appealing. Ayisha cleverly produces clear, colourful, significantly different characters in the background whilst maintaining Sofia's vibrant personality boldly at the forefront. I am totally in love with this book, a beautiful, funny read.

The Morgana Show [DVD] [NTSC]
The Morgana Show [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Morgana Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely genius!, 14 Jun. 2014
We belly laughed just as much as we did when we watched it on TV. All the characters have extreme depth making them completely convincing. Everyone involved in this show is hugely talented; the scripts not only show mass amounts of humour but are extremely intelligent too. To morph into another person, be funny and clever all at the same time is pure genius. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Long Way Down [Explicit]
Long Way Down [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album!, 13 July 2013
The best album I've bought in a long time, there isn't a track I don't like. What an amazing talent. I look forward to what Tom Odell has to offer next seeing as this is his first album.
Ignore the spiteful critics Tom, you're hugely talented and you don't need anyone to tell you that.

Page: 1 | 2