Profile for Philip W > Reviews

Content by Philip W

Philip W (Lincolnshire, UK)

New Clarke CEW1000 Electric Impact Wrench 240v
New Clarke CEW1000 Electric Impact Wrench 240v
Offered by e sell it

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent impact wrench with a selection of the most useful sockets included, 24 May 2017
A very good impact wrench, well worth the money. I've built up a good collection of tools over the years and never considered an impact wrench before. However after using this I can see this will be one of the main tools I use when working on vehicles. Changed the shock absorbers on my car with this with a friend who has an expensive impact wrench costing 6 times the price, he was amazed how good this tool was considering it was so much cheaper than his. Undid tight bolts with ease. And comes with the most useful socket sizes, in a good quality carry case. Ensure you use impact sockets as there's a chance that ordinary sockets can shatter. I'd recommend buying the Sealey Impact adaptor and extension set to go with this which Amazon also sell. The only issue with the wrench is the black plastic collar on the front keeps slipping off during use and seems pointless, but that's no real hinderance. So a great impact wrench ideal for the occasional user.

MoKo Case for Fire 2015 7 inch - Slim Folding Cover for Amazon Fire Tablet (7 inch Display - Previous 5th Generation, 2015 Release Only), BLACK
Offered by MoKoDirect EU

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent value high quality case, 9 Jun. 2016
I looked at these Moko cases after seeing an ad for them on my Kindle Fire's lock screen. It had good reviews and looked to be well made in the pictures so I decided to buy one. I wasn't disappointed, the case has a high quality look and feel to it, and it fits great. Excellent value for money, I'd highly recommend this case.

Darkmoor Manor Free
Darkmoor Manor Free

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent puzzle game similar to Myst, 28 April 2016
This review is from: Darkmoor Manor Free (App)
I was after a mystery puzzle game similar to the Myst series and found this for my Kindle Fire. Its excellent, some great puzzles which are challenging but not too difficult. One of the best mobile games I've bought in a long time. Please bring us a sequel!

Autoleads FP-18-00 Car Audio Single DIN Facia Adaptor, Black
Autoleads FP-18-00 Car Audio Single DIN Facia Adaptor, Black
Offered by RadioWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly as it says, 17 April 2012
Well there isn't a great deal you can say about a facia adaptor! This one does exactly what it is supposed to anyway, and does look like part of the dash board once fitted allowing the custom fitting of a car stereo of your choice. Very simple to fit, you simply push it in place.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product at a Great Price, 15 Feb. 2011
We needed a night light for our average sized landing, mainly so we could see where we were going in the night and avoid tripping over the safety gate which is part way along. We bought this product, and are very happy with it. It gives off a warm unobtrusive glow, which is just enough light to illuminate the landing and see where things are so as to not trip over them. It is cool to touch and compact. It would be ideal in a childs bedroom too, to give comfort at night. A great product, and fantastic value.

Western Digital My Book Studio Edition 1TB Firewire 400 / 800 & eSata External Hard Drive

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but very unreliable, 27 Mar. 2009
As part of my ongoing work I needed a new larger backup system for my Mac. I was planning to go for another brand which I have used before and never had a problem with, but was tempted by the lower price of this WD model and it's three year warranty.

I have had problems with this drive right from the start which I was not expecting from a company like Western Digital. The initial connection was fine, the drive was detected using firewire 800 on my 24" Intel iMac. The lights on the front looked good too, especially with showing how full the drive is. The problems started whenever my computer went to sleep or was switched off. After awaking it from sleep or switching on again, the drive powers up but is not seen by the computer. The only way I can find to resolve this is to disconnect both the power cable and firewire cable every time I start it up or wake it up, then reconnect. This is a real pain as you can imagine. This problem persists every time whether you use the power button or not, which is only a soft start. If this was replaced with a real on/off switch it would probably overcome most of these problems. I have had a few occasions when I have been completely unable to view my data at all.

Another problem, although minor, is that one of the LED's on the front began flickering within weeks of buying it, then packed up altogether.

On contacting WD I was told I hadn't installed the drivers correctly. I had followed the instructions exactly but no luck, even when installing again. I will be contacting WD again to try and get these problems resolved.

To sum up, this drive looks great but is very difficult to use with a Mac which isn't good when it is designed for use with them. The problem with being unable to connect and having to pull out cables every time is terrible, however after doing this it works great (until the computer goes to sleep or is switched off). If you are looking for a 1TB backup or extra storage solution, I recommend you try a Lacie drive as they are very reliable and look great, if a little more pricy.

iMac 24" Desktop 2.8GHz/2GB/320GB/SD
iMac 24" Desktop 2.8GHz/2GB/320GB/SD

5.0 out of 5 stars The best computer on the market, 12 Jun. 2008
After many months of holding off buying myself a new iMac, I finally made the plunge and decided to go for the 24" model. As I work as a designer, I knew a large screen would benefit me. The new iMac is a fantastic machine, a real power house with a lot packed in for your money. It starts up in seconds and runs Adobe Creative Suite 3 with ease, again loading each application in no time at all. I have yet to try any games on it but it goes without saying that they too will run magnificently.

All macs include iLife 08 which includes a range of useful software for everyone, my favorite is iMovie which has been completely redone to provide a rapid way of producing professional movies. I would also recommend purchasing iWork 08, which is compatible with Office, but costs a fraction of the price at just £50 on Amazon. And it looks much better too. Front Row is another fantastic application operated by the tiny remote. This allows you to play music, watch the latest movie trailers full screen and more from a beautiful interface.

This Mac should last most people for many years, the one I bought replaces my 15" G3 iMac which I purchased back in 2000 and lasted me over 8 years of heavy use. In fact it still works fine now if a little slow, so if that is anything to go by then it looks promising for the current range of Macs too.

All parts of the 24" iMac are built to a very high standard, being mainly constructed from aluminium and glass. The keyboard feels top quality too being extremely thin and compliments the aluminium iMac perfectly. It could just do with the mouse updating to match. The glass front of the screen is a huge improvement over the previous LCD model, with returning to a glass screen it is very easy to clean. The screen is fantastic, it is top quality with superb contrast and is also perfectly clear when viewed from the side, unlike a lot of LCD flatscreens.

You really should no look no further than this iMac. With it having an Intel processor it also allows you to run Windows either in its own window or full screen, which gives PC users no excuse not to migrate to a Mac right now. The iMac is also extremely quiet. It is remarkably slim and makes a great fashion item in any home or office.

Canon IXUS i7 Digital Camera (7.1MP, 2.4x optical zoom) - Grey
Canon IXUS i7 Digital Camera (7.1MP, 2.4x optical zoom) - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compact camera packed with features, 14 Mar. 2007
I purchased this camera as a replacement for my aging and well used 3.2mp Canon camera. The Canon Ixus i7 is fantastic value, at 7.1 megapixel a great deal of detail is packed in and the camera is the size of an average mobile phone, so ideal for keeping in your pocket.

The camera uses rechargable battery packs which last very well, I would recommend buying a spare however. The kit comes with software, a cradle for charging and downloading your photos, and a compact remote - ideal for showing the photos on a TV. Its a shame a case is not included. Buying a case to fit is a little difficult as the shape is different to most digital cameras, I would recommend purchasing the official canon leather case which is stylish and tough to protect the camera. The camera itself feels very well made, being completely metal.

The only thing I was dissapointed with was the fact that low light photos seem to be very grainy, much more so than my old Canon A70, but that may be due to the small size of the camera lens. I was very impressed with the video quality, it appears to be almost the same as that of a camcorder with a full frame rate too, giving very pleasing results both indoor and out.

Overall I would say this is a great camera, it takes excellent quality photos generally, and the camera itself is pleasing to the eye. I would recommend this over any other camera in the price range. A very nice piece of kit!

Canon Eos 20D Digital SLR Lens Kit [8MP, 3 x Optical Zoom]
Canon Eos 20D Digital SLR Lens Kit [8MP, 3 x Optical Zoom]

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Semi-professional Digital SLR, 15 Jan. 2006
After looking at a range of Digital SLR cameras I decided this was definately the best camera I could get within my price range. At 8.2 megapixel the quality is more than ample for what most users are ever likely to need (High quality prints can be made at A3 size and above and still remain sharp).

The build quality is excellent and the camera is packed with many features. The nine point AF is superb. One of my favourite features is the monochromatic mode, allowing you to shoot in black and white. With this you can apply digital colour filters which saves having to attach them to the lens. It is also backwards compatible with all canon AF lenses (which came out around 1987) which means you can pick up second hand high quality lenses at a very good price.
With an ISO speed choice of between 100 and 3200 you can produce high quality prints in almost any light. Even at 3200 the prints are surprisingly sharp. This allows you to take high quality pictures in low light without using a tripod or flash, giving very natural lighting to your pictures. This works very well with monochromatic pictures in particular. The flash however is also superb, it judges the distance and adjusts the flashes brightness perfectly, even on close up shots.
I also own a Canon camcorder which I bought back in 2002, and was surprised to find this takes the same battery as the 20D (both 7.4v) so I can swap batterys between the two which is a huge advantage to me when out and about.
I can't credit this camera enough. It is a superb buy and is at the mega pixel quality that is high enough for most people, even professionals. Buy this camera!!!