Profile for Leigh Wood > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Beginner's Introduction to the Canon EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D
Beginner's Introduction to the Canon EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D

5.0 out of 5 stars A good overview, 24 Dec. 2015
This is a good overview, and gave me plenty to think about. I particularly liked the straight forward explanation of aperture and exposure.

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #3
Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #3

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting stuff, 20 Sept. 2015
I'm really enjoying this series, it's good to be back in the company of this TARDIS team.

Well drawn characters, in all senses of the word.

Doctor Who - Bunker Soldiers
Doctor Who - Bunker Soldiers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Aug. 2015
The Doctor and Steven are deftly recreated here, and Dodo is pleasingly developed (her character, that is).

This is in the grand tradition of the 'historicals' of this era, although I won't expand on this. It's a great plot and well written. The alternate chapters written in the first person are particularly effective.

Loved it!

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 6 Aug. 2015
I may have been the only person I know not to have read this at school... Even people in my class remember reading it. With the interest in the sequel, I decided to catch up with everyone.

Excellent, very engaging and deftly drawn characters.

If you've never read this, I would recommend it enthusiastically.

Doctor Who: Witch Hunters: The History Collection
Doctor Who: Witch Hunters: The History Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 July 2015
Deftly drawn characterisation of Hartnell's Doctor coupled with an engaging, pacy plot. Recommend. It's very true to the era, but with a modern timey-wimey plot.

Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars and secondly releases like this one for which I am very familiar with ..., 20 July 2015
The audiobook readings of the Target novels fall into two camps for me. Firstly, the 'missing stories' for which I've only heard soundtracks, read the books, seen the picture etc; and secondly releases like this one for which I am very familiar with the programme-as-broadcast.

I always pick up these audiobooks for the missing stories as they are without fail excellently produced, partly dramatised in places, and very evocative (The Massacre read by Peter Purves being a recent perfect example of this).

I don't usually pick up the stories I am more familiar with, and it was Jon Culshaw that was the USP for me here. He doesn't disappoint. His fourth Doctor is of course spot-on, but apart from that he reads the excellent text with excitement in a pitch-perfect pace.

This is a classic, and important story anyway and the 'TV version' is obviously the definitive. This however, is a great companion piece and I enthusiastically recommend it.

Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Archives #2
Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Archives #2

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripper!, 5 July 2015
Classy artwork, and a well paced story to the end of part one (looking forward to part two).

Good characterisation of The Doctor, Amy and Rory.

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #2
Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor #2

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, 1 July 2015
Really enjoying this series after 'episode 2'. The characters are well drawn (in all senses), with the inter-play between the three leads a welcome continuation of what we only got a tantalisingly fleeting experience of on screen.

Loved the Paradise of Death reference, too...

Moonraker: James Bond 007
Moonraker: James Bond 007

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 22 Jan. 2015
I had read these books, in no particular order, when I was younger (about 12, I think). I had half-forgotten the plots of the books as I'm so familiar (as are we all) with the different slants and emphasis of the films.

This is a great book, with a surprising and heart breaking ending. I thoroughly recommend re-reading these I order if you haven't for a while and love Bond.

Yeah, they might be pulp fiction but what amazing, literate, accessible, witty, breath taking pulp fiction they are.

The best of British.

Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks: 50th Anniversary Edition
Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks: 50th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars On Target, 1 Dec. 2014
The episodes this is based on are some of the best from the first 51 years of Doctor Who, and this novelisation is a perfect companion piece.

It retains the brilliant set-pieces and sparkling dialogue, but weaves extra layers into Rachel and Mike particularly.

I really enjoyed the Dalek mythology that is peppered throughout. I'm not sure how Mr. Aaronovitch managed to inject more character to Daleks, but he did so deftly. The bits about Daleks feeling cold, ostensibly as an emotional reaction, for it to be remedied by mechanical means is great. Loved all that stuff.

Very well paced, thought provoking and stylish - just like the TV episodes.

Page: 1 | 2