Profile for Jamie fan > Reviews

Pont Readalone: When Sparks Fly
Pont Readalone: When Sparks Fly
by Iola Jons

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant anti smoking book!, 15 Feb. 2014
As a Y5 teacher, I was desperately looking for a book to read to my class about the effects of smoking on the body. When I found this book I couldn't believe my luck.
It's about a welsh girl (this was an added bonus as I teach in Wales) who tries to convince her father to give up smoking. It covers all of the effects of smoking and is really funny. I have been using it for three years now and all three classes have loved the book. In fact, it is falling apart as it has been read by them so much.
The book has led to some wonderful language work - research on the effects of smoking, the use of persuasion, writing persuasive letters to Gwenno's dad, debates in class on the pros and cons of smoking. Although the language level is for Y3 or Y4, the subject matter is more suitable to Y5.
I'm on here today buying a set for guided reading :)

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was funny yet really sad and I learnt a lot about the problems facing disabled people. Don't even think twice about buying this book! You won't be able to put it down!

Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
by E L James

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant ending to the trilogy, 28 May 2012
Well, it's all over and I feel sad that it's come to an end! Although I found the first book a little shocking - mainly because my naive young daughter recommended it to me as a popular book with her friends!!!! The second book was really good and the third was my favourite which is why I'm writing this review. You grow to kind of love Christian and you can empathise with both characters. This book brought together all the loose ends as well as adding a few more along the way! I will definitely be readng this trilogy again.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't say I enjoyed it but ....., 13 May 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I totally agree with mrs sw! My 18 yr old daughter said that everyone was raving about this book so I had to see what all the fuss was about. I will definitely not be passing the book on to her!!!! However, it was compelling reading even though some scenes were quite uncomfortable to read. I have just ordered the next two books because I want to find out what made Christian such a complicating character.
I too got fed up of the repetitive phrases but I did connect with ana nonetheless.

Duncan's Bride (Sensation)
Duncan's Bride (Sensation)
by Linda Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 25 Feb. 2012
I love the older linda Howard books! Her newer books are a bit disappointing so when I saw this book on amazon I had to buy it. She spends a lot of effort developing her characters and this book is no exception. The topic is unusual and quite amusing and it's a must read. Once you start this book you won't be able to put it down! As with the macenzies, my favourite of all her books, I would like a sequel to this book - it would be great to find out what happens next!!!!

Sophia's Secret
Sophia's Secret
by Susanna Kearsley

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sophia's Secret (Paperback)
There's nothing better in this world than being curled up on the soffa with a great book that you can't put down for love nor money. This is one of those books. I enjoy Reading about Scottish history but this book brought it to life. I really cared about the characters and I felt I was there with them at slains castle. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical romances - you will not be disappointed!

Mariana
Mariana
by Susanna Kearsley

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
I have to say that after reading sophia's secret, which I loved, this book was a bit of a let down for me. I felt that the charaters lacked depth and nothing much seemed to happen for much of the book. The story had potential and could have been so much better.

Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover - 750 ml
Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover - 750 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works!!!!, 14 Feb. 2012
I've tried lots of products to remove mildew from the corners of my bedroom Walls but nothing has really worked so I was sceptical when I bought this spray. However, it's done a wonderful job! It's taken off all the mildew and the wallpaper looks like new. I highly recommend this spray.

The Thistle & the Rose
The Thistle & the Rose
by May McGoldrick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice Scottish romance, 13 Mar. 2011
This is the third May McGoldrick book I've read this month and I'm really enjoying this author (or should I say these authors as they're a husband and wife team). I should really have read them in order. This is the first in the series and is about the aftermath of Flodden when King James 1V is dead and the throne of Scotland is in question.
This story tells of the romance that develops between Colin Campbell, son and heir to the Campbell dynasty and Lady Celia, a wealthy heiress, escaping from her English fiancée who kills many Scots to find her.
I enjoyed reading about the history of Scotland at this time but what's best about this book is how the romance develops between the main characters.
If you enjoy historical romances, you won't be disappointed!

Pengarron Land
Pengarron Land
by Gloria Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Pengarron Land (Paperback)
I bought this book in a second hand book shop at it seemed the type of book I like to read. I'm so glad I did. I read it in a few days because I couldn't put it down. It is very well written with lovely descriptions of Cornwall and you almost imagine yourself being there. It is a gentle love story but it has so much more - humour, sadness, jeolousy, revenge and I learnt a great deal about the social history of Cornwall during the 19th century. Well worth a read! Just ordered the next two in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6