Profile for CjW > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Love and a Promise
Love and a Promise

4.0 out of 5 stars My wife read it and she says it was 'good'., 4 Mar. 2015
My wife read it and she says it was 'good'.
That's it chaps - good.

Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne Novels Book 1)
Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne Novels Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable book for a Kimble freebie, but you have to buy the next one, 4 Mar. 2015
Reasonable book for a Kimble freebie, but you have to buy the next one
My wife raed it and she says it was 'good'.
That's it chaps - good.

Jan van Haasteren -  Safari Jigsaw Puzzle (1500 Pieces)
Jan van Haasteren - Safari Jigsaw Puzzle (1500 Pieces)
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and fun family jigsaw, 4 Mar. 2015
Great fun to do and a very funny cartoon keeps one amused. Well cut pieces, no fudging and great artwork.
It's a family hit.

Jumbo Jan van Haasteren 'The Dog Show' 1500pc Jigsaw Puzzle
Jumbo Jan van Haasteren 'The Dog Show' 1500pc Jigsaw Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality fun jigsaw, 4 Mar. 2015
It's a family hit.

Philips GC3811/80 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 160 g Steam Boost and Steam Glide Plus Soleplate, 2400 Watt, Multi-Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam? - it's a good 'un. Lots of steam emits and on a mesh ironing board, does both sides at once., 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another excellent Phillips iron.

We have an older Philips 'standby' iron very much like this. It has done good service.
We weighed it - this iron is much lighter at 1200grams - the older almost identical iron was 1400grams.

How does this compare to the #1 favourite iron, the two part Phillips Steam generator?
The iron part is 1000grams, so it is light - but cost over 3 times as much to buy!

Usage - this is a fast iron to heat up, easy large control ("wheres me glasses gone?") and balances in the hand very nicely.
In use it does glide over fabric very lightly.
No Popeye arms required.
Steam blaster for the tricky bits, but I like to give it a blast for the visual effect.

What is unusual is that this will steam in an upright position - I've seen specialised steamers used in shops to hang packed and crumpled clothes up nice and smooth again.
It does seem to do this trick well - but I've not a lot of demand for that function; but that does save having to get another unit if you want your dress nice and crease free.

Previous Philips irons cope well with our very hard water. The de-calc routine is simple and it must be done regular with the nasty northern Buckinghamshire water. There are no impossible to buy cartridges that the Tefal iron used, which is why we tried the Philips.

Which! regularly give this brand top marks and I believe this is another winner.
Should you buy one?

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Dark Brown), 8 UK (42 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good all round quality lightweight walking shoe, 4 Mar. 2015
Excellent shoe.
Fits well, snug and cosy.
I like the discrete brown colours, not one to read bright red trainers to advertise how much I paid for them!

Tried it walking the woofer, long wet grass, and through the stream crossing - which came just over the rubber sides.
Absolutely waterproof.
Grips hold well on the muddy banks.
The show is light on the feet and as I said - warm and comfy.

Note:There is a small raised instep inside, but its soft and wields easily. However some people hate those bits.

A good all round quality lightweight walking shoe. You wouldn't want to do the Pennines or any really heavyweight hiking - its obviously not intended at that level. Being waterproof, they are simple to clean under the tap and soon dry.

However for normal countryside day leisure walks and romping through woods and pastures anew with the doggie - these are excellent.

Should you buy them?

Oral-B PRO 2000 Pink Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B PRO 2000 Pink Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reliable electric brush, does the job., 24 Feb. 2015
Excellent toothbrush.
We've had this range before and they are reliable well made devices and do the job well.
Charges simple, holds the charge and replacement brushes easy to obtain and a reasonable cost, not great- but you have no choice once committed.
These are Braun made and have the German quality feel.(probably made in China, but to spec!)

Never had a pink one though, although it's a limited issue, I see it as proving very popular,

Not all women are afraid of pink anti feminism, some actually like it!

I can' tree the point of fancy timing modes and even Bluetooth apps just to brush your teeth, so save your money and go no further. This brush does the same job and does it well.

Damocles
Damocles

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read. I loved the book, 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read.
I loved the book, a great idea and unique perspective from the point of view of the Alien contact.

I won't ruin the plot; but its a very good sci-fi read and the best I've read in a year!

Great North Road
Great North Road

3.0 out of 5 stars Long over padded yarn with a really obvious plot, not his best work by a long throw, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Great North Road (Kindle Edition)
Interesting book, but the plot is so obvious I figured it out easily.
The book is really really long, but it should not be. It is too full of waffle, we don't need three pages desribing the groups breakfast.
I don't care, it is irrelevant.
This theme re-occurs constantly throughout the book and is a case of vastly severe over padding.

I have liked the authors work and kept up with this hoping for a surprise ending or a cunning twist. There is not one.

I like the idea, but quite honestly it's not up to par at all.

Should you buy it?
Nope, unless a super keen fan and desiring to read 900 pages that could be told in 200

Russell Hobbs Legacy 4 Slice Toaster - Cream
Russell Hobbs Legacy 4 Slice Toaster - Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and toasts quickly, but bread can be raw inside!, 10 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Looks good and fits into the same space as my old Breville long slice.

Unpacking, there's lots of cardboard to pull out, sadly I did not see the transparent tapes, which were not attached to the cardboard as they were supposed to be, so I melted two bits inside the toaster on first empty test.
Silly people, use coloured tape and be sensible, everyone else uses RED TAPES!

In use, yes it's quick, but the bread is toasted nicely on the outside and still bread on the inside.
Luckily I like my toast well done, so that helps when turned up, but it does not do thick toast so well.
However the extra heated elements do give a nice even toasting, which is how it toasts quicker BTW.

THe bread slips in with a firm push, harder than normal to separate the metal rail holders, but whilst the left side engages nicely, the right side needs a very firm push to engage. At first I thought it was broken, but hopefully it will see with use.

The toaster has dual crumb trays, extra height lifters, which is useful as I also had to cut my homemade bread in half and use four slots instead of just two and uncut bread in the Breville.

The release button is well placed and instant, the defrost buttons are below and quite honestly I have only ever required this function once or twice in years, so cannot test it. I've I don not toast frozen bread, that's what it's for.

The side of this toaster are metal and get quite hot, too hot for comfort or small children. The Breville was room temperature, so this is a negative point, there should be proper insulation in there. Bad designers, bad boys.

The unit seems robust and it does do it's job and that's all that matters in the end; but it could be better quite easily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20