Profile for Antoine Camilleri > Reviews

Content by Antoine Camilleri
Top Reviewer Ranking: 8

Antoine Camilleri (Malta)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sony Cyber-SHOT DSC-HX400V ( 21.1 MP,50 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Sony Cyber-SHOT DSC-HX400V ( 21.1 MP,50 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Offered by PHOTO UNIVERS

3.0 out of 5 stars All the bells and whistles yet fails where it counts most, 4 July 2015
I had such high hopes for this little beauty and replaced it twice, as I thought that I was getting a faulty unit. I honestly wanted to like this camera as it does look simply stunning. The premium build quality and the Zeiss lens, combined with the new Bionz X processor offer so much promise.

Yet this camera fails where it counts most, and that is image quality. Out of the box, images are rather soft and get worse at the extremities, with purple fringing evident in mid to high contrast images. You can increase sharpness, yet the edges still look softer. Colours are vibrant, yet results still look over processed, resulting in loss of detail in darker areas.

(When evaluating bridge cameras I use my Panasonic FZ200 as a benchmark)

I would have happily traded NFC, GPS or WiFi for Raw capability and a better EVF, which at 201K pixels is considered way below par on cameras carrying such a hefty price tag. (FZ200 sports a 1,302K pixel EVF, over a million more!!)

So it is useless to go through the rich feature set this camera offers, ( which can be viewed all over the net ) as it does not translate into the quality photos I have come to expect from Sony.
At this price point I would expect a camera that would deliver great photos and not facebook quality.... sorry

Being an avid Sony fan, I feel that this camera just does not live to the reputation and expectations. Hopefully, firmware updates could address certain issues.

I do tend to be very critical when it comes to cameras, so please appreciate that I am not trying to bash the HX400V. Maybe I was expecting a bit too much. Many sites praise this camera, and that makes me wonder. I suggest you read other reviews and try to get a hands on test at a local store. Hopefully they might let you use an SD card to take some pictures for further analysis.

Unfortunately, based on my experience, I cannot recommend the HX400V for the demanding photographer.

60% OFF Trimeo® 7" Bluetooth HD Quad Core 1024X600 Tablet PC Actions 7031 Cortex A9 CPU Android 4.4.2 KitKat 512MB RAM 4GB FLASH Dual Camera BBC Iplayer Google Play Store WiFi Support Netflix 3D Games Flash Skype (White)
Offered by Lenoge

5.0 out of 5 stars Youtube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer... Plus so much more, 30 Jun. 2015
The Trimeo tablet is simply the best bang for the buck for those seeking an entry level Android device !! Now let's put things into perspective... when factoring functionality with price this 7 inch tablet is basically a steal. And for a mere one pound more you can get the 8 gig version (at time of writing).

Many a time cheap can mean more expensive, simply because if it a product does not perform than you've basically got a paperweight. Not in this case though. True, 512mb of RAM is the bare minimum nowadays, however when combined with the zippy processor and selective use of apps (close the apps which are not in use) it does make for a very good experience: Be it Skype or BBC iPlayer to light gaming.

The Trimeo comes very well protected in an attractive cardboard box: a great combination of eco friendly packaging and looks. It would definitely make for a nice present. I'm keeping mine though :)

Bottom line: This is truly a solid entry level Android tablet which simply works as advertised.
Highly recommended

Intel i7 5960X Extreme Octa Core CPU Processor (3.0 GHz, 20 MB Cache, 140 W, Socket 2011-V3)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Extreem"ly Expensive, Blazing Fast CPU, 20 Jun. 2015
Upgrading to a new platform can prove to be a daunting and very expensive process. The 2011-V3 motherboards mean an additional expense due to the implementation of DDR4 which is not compatible with DDR3.

I was in the market for an Intel i7-5820K CPU which I feel has the best value to performance ratio. However, through a stroke of luck I got a factory sealed 5960x at nearly half the price. The person I bought it from had not factored in the total cost of the new V3 platform and later opted for the 1150 socket instead.

Now to the 5960x:
All I can say is WOW !! This CPU has made video editing a breeze. A dream come true for content creators! Having said that, you will need at least 16GB DDR4, a good video card with 4GB of VRAM, SSD’s and raid for HDD to avoid bottlenecks. Now, well informed youtubers (Linus and JayzTwoCents) give a good explanation of this terminology ie bottlenecks but I guess you know what I mean.

Oh, I’m drifting off the 5960x topic again… yet please understand that it is no use having this processor unless you are ready to invest time (and money) to plan ahead and chose the right components for your specific build.
Now some 5960x will overclock better than others. My CPU requires 1.3V to achieve 4500GHz whilst others got there with just 1.18V. Some processors need 1.4V to achieve this. It all boils down to the batch number (which is printed on the box and CPU itself). Is it such a deal breaker? It depends on your expectations. Personally, I would rather have my system run at a cool 4GHz rather than pushing it “balls to the walls” as this means less heat, power and longevity.

Bottom line: The 5960x is the fastest consumer CPU at time of writing. It sports 8 cores and the performance is top notch. However if I had to buy at market price I would most probably go for the 5820K. The savings would go for more DDR4 memory and a better graphics card.

Hope this helps, and if you need any information please drop a comment.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Yongnuo Flash Speedlite YN560-III (Zoom Function) Speedlight Flash Speedlite Flashgun with LCD Screen for Nikon D3s, D3x, D3, D700, D300s, D300, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70s, D7000, D5100, D5000, D3100, D3000, D60, D40X DSLR for Canon SLR, Nikon SLR, Olympus SLR , Pentax SLR, Sigma SLR Cameras Support RF-602/603 GN58 M/Multi mode
Offered by Andoer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners learning flash operation - Please check for compatibility, 2 Jun. 2015
A couple of decades ago we took awesome pictures using fully manual cameras with non autofocus lenses and using light meters to determine the aperture and shutter speed....E-TTL flashes were science fiction.

Many will know this, yet some beginners might not: The YN560-III is a manual flash, so it comes nowhere near a fully dedicated flash for ease of use. There is no E-TTL feature, which means that the camera cannot really communicate with the flash. Evaluative through the lens metering is used on a dedicated flash. The camera would generally signal a preflash in order to evaluate the power required for a well exposed picture.
Another feature on a dedicated flash is the zoom. Whilst zooming, the camera would communicate with the flash (you would actually hear the flash adjust).

I find myself using the YN560 III very often as I like to have full control over the flash. It offers a comprehensive fully fledged "menu" on the LCD. Build quality is very good, and the LCD display combined with the button layout makes the YN560 a great flash. The slave function works very well too.

For those who do not fancy dishing out 5 times as much for a dedicated flash, or people wanting to learn and experiment with flashes I would say that this flash is worth every penny. The price of this flashgun is a real bargain when taking into account it's numerous useful functions.

Please note: This particular flashgun will not work with all the models specified in the listing. Amazon sells specific ones for different makes and models.

Highly recommended

Contech ScareCrow Outdoor Animal Deterrent - CRO-101
Contech ScareCrow Outdoor Animal Deterrent - CRO-101

5.0 out of 5 stars A humane and effective solution, 31 May 2015
The market is flooded with animal deterrent products, however I do consider certain products more humane than others.

Some manufacturers adopt similar approach yet I have learned the hard way that cheaper could sometimes mean more expensive, as they just do not to the job well.

The Contech ScareCrow motion activated animal deterrent is the most humane and effective means to warding off cats from the garden or flower patch.

It is also a great means of keeping the patio excrement free, especially if you have young kids.

The Contech ScareCrow motion activated animal deterrent has proved to be truly effective, and I highly recommend it.

Accurist Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Multicolour Stainless Steel Plated Bracelet MB1031N

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Timepiece, 17 Feb. 2015
Accurist have taken the tried and tested design, reminiscent of the older (non solar powered) Citizen Navihawk watches and made a range of watches sporting the same style fascia. Yet the Accurist has a larger diameter dial resulting in better readability of the smaller dials. (Also thanks to the white coloured hands)

The watch looks far better in real life. As a watch collector, I am not a novice at evaluating watches. True, collectors usually tend towards automatic watches, yet I cannot let such beautiful quality watches slip by, especially when the price is right. Top notch quality, flawless design and excellent timekeeping. A 3 year guarantee is standard!

Accurist makes great quality watches and this one is no exception. This offering comes with a leather strap which has its advantages: No links to remove for those with thin wrists, and IMHO, looks more elegant for use with certain suits.

One point which needs to be mentioned is that none of these watches have backlight.

A "Highly Recommended" quality watch.

Pro Wireless Weather Station with PC interface
Pro Wireless Weather Station with PC interface
Offered by Home & Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performer, 2 Jan. 2015
After reading hundreds of reviews I realised that even the best brands were having critical reviews. This led me to invest in a cheaper alternative and this Weather Station fit the bill. Basically it is a carbon copy of the Aercus WS2083, albeit unbranded. I have bought this particular unit from China and it is hard to tell the difference from the Aercus.

Setting up the station was very easy, and the long wires from the rain and wind gauge meant I could set up the "brain" (transmitter/temperature/humidity unit) in a shady, shielded location. This is crucial in order to get precise readings for temperature and humidity. Before writing any negative reviews as regards weather stations one must keep in mind that the placement of the humidity and temperature sensor is critical. Professional weather servers invest thousands in building the ideal housing (usually quite bulky) in order to have correct readings. Airports authorities invest a considerable amount of effort and money in order to meet the stringent standards for weather reporting.

So one just cannot expect to tie up one of these consumer weather stations to a pole and get great results !

Now for the weather station's pros and cons.

Pros:
Easy setup, with all the bits and bobs included... even zip ties!
Very accurate readings (ideally set the wind to gust). I can compare my readings to the airport a few miles away, and another coastal station (I live on the seafront) and readings are spot on.
USB interface easy to setup. I had my station set up to Wunderground.com in a few minutes.
Cumulus software works a treat with this station.
Build quality better than expected.
Impressive long range reception. (I have mine set up over 15 meters away with numerous stone walls and two re enforced concrete ceilings blocking line of sight).
Unit has survived and successfully reported gale force winds and torrential rain showers since setting up around 6 months ago.
Weather forecasting is very good, and gets better with time due to its learning capabilities.

Cons:
Unlike some other stations which report rainfall/ wind/ temperature at various intervals, this unit updates everything every 40+ seconds. Would have liked to see the wind being updated at least every 30 secs maximum.
Sunrise/Sunset, moon-phase and dew point are only displayed on the free (third party) Cumulus software (ie. the computer) rather than on the unit itself. Yet this is not a deal breaker when considering the accuracy and the price of the unit. Some other stations are not even compatible with Cumulus software.

Summary: I must admit that I have become a bit of a weather freak since I got this unit LOL.... It actually is very involving and interesting. A perfect unit for anyone interested in weather monitoring and very informative for kids too.

Update 8th March 2014. Unit still going strong despite being located on the seafront. I highly recommend this unit.

EC Technology® Foldable Wireless Keyboard Ultra-Slim Full-size Portable Bluetooth Keyboard with Aluminium Alloy Body for iOS (iPad Air 2 / Air, iPad mini 3 / mini 2 / mini, iPad 4 / 3 / 2), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever design, Premium Quality Keyboard, 29 Dec. 2014
I am typing this review using the EC technology Bluetooth keyboard and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and functionality it offers.

It comes nicely presented in an eco friendly packaging, which includes a user manual and a USB charging cable.

The outer housing is made of metal; aluminium to be more precise and not plastic. On folding out the keyboard I was surprised to find out that the keys are as large as my trusted Logitech K400. Pressing the Fn and C key will commence the Bluetooth pairing. I have chosen to automatically let the keyboard connect to my PC so as not to have to go through the initial process again. So every time I open the keyboard (which also acts as an ON / OFF switch) connection is established immediately.

I have tried this keyboard on my iPad Air, MacBook Pro (2010 model), Windows PC and Nexus 7. I have had no issues whatsoever.

Likes:

- Premium quality, sturdy and snazzy design
- Very responsive keys, with no play whatsoever
- Caps lock indication via LED
- Diminutive Size when folded
- Amazing Battery life
- Cross Platform Compatibility

Dislikes:

- US layout as specified in product description

EC Technology have sent me this keyboard for an unbiased opinion and I must admit that it is a pleasure for me to review such quality items.

Definitely a thumbs up from me
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad Air - Stylish, Sleek and Blazingly Fast, 24 Dec. 2014
Apple really know how to work an audience thanks to their marketing hype and by limiting supplies at launch date. Thankfully they are now readily available and prices are creeping down.
I am no Apple iOS diehard fan. In fact I have several android tablets (including the Nexus 7, which I love). Yet there's no denying that the iPad has revolutionised the computer industry by triggering the tablet era.

This review focuses solely on the iPad Air.

Having owned two other iPads: iPad 1 and iPad 3, I am no novice to the iPad, and have followed the incremental upgrades since it was first introduced .... just 4 years ago!

When my iPad Air finally arrived (had it on pre-order for several months) I thought that the store had made a mistake and got me the iPad mini instead!
I opened the usual premium Apple packaging and was greeted by a lovely, super slim and lightweight gem of a tablet. The side bezels are so much thinner too, no wonder it could be mistaken for a Mini. This is no incremental upgrade, but a total redesign around the existing iPad 4 screen. (albeit offering better viewing angles)

It really is a pity that I had to buy a protective case, which covers the beautifully crafted aluminium body. Yet it means that your investment will still look like new for years.

------------------------------------------
Case options: Skip this part if not interested.

When it comes to cases there is quite a choice. I call these necessary evils, yet one should not skimp on a quality case offering the best protection possible.

I have the original Apple, Invision and the Veo cases for the iPad Air. I cannot comment on cases I do not own which might prove to be actually better.
They weigh 148.7g, 208.5g and 230.7g respectively.
The Apple case is expensive, and the volume and sleep buttons are a nuisance to operate as they are covered in the thick premium leather. The other cases offer easy access to the buttons. However this case offers the best protection and looks great. It takes a lot of patience to remove this cover once it is in place.
The Invision is a very cheap case and a best seller. It looks sturdy and the stitching is top notch, yet I do not particularly like the shiny finish. The iPad is held in place by 4 corner tabs which tend to pop out of place fairly easily.
The Veo is probably the nearest to the Apple as far as looks go. It comes in a mat finish and the iPad is held in place via a plastic strip along the right and 4 corner tabs.
--------------------------------------------

DOES THE iPad Air LIVE UP TO THE HYPE?

A quick answer is "Yes"! The new zippy 64 bit A7 processor and crisp "Retina display" are the best I've seen on any 10" tablet so far! And even though it sports the same display as the iPad 4, the viewing angle is far superior, probably thanks to the closer proximity of the display to the scratch proof glass.

The Apps further contribute to making this the best iPad to date, as they have been optimized to take full advantage of the powerful 64bit processor. These include *iPhoto, *iMovie, *Numbers, *Pages and *Keynote which are bundled for free!

Apps written for iOS are generally of a very high standard and virtually virus free. There are various reasons for this:
- iPad is also targeted for professional environments
- Stable and reliable iOS platform
- Applications are only available through the App Store.
- Other platforms have new tablets springing every other day, sporting different screen sizes and processors.

Pros:

✓ Blazing fast, low consumption A7 (64bit) processor. The fastest to date

✓ Premium build quality with ever so stylish looks thanks to the precision engineered aluminium housing

✓ 30% lighter than iPad4, weighing only 469g for Wi-Fi, and 478g Wi-Fi + Cellular versions

✓ Retina display. Great colour saturation producing stunning images

✓ iWork and iLife software included for free

✓ Vast choice of apps that can mimic laptop/desktop programs

✓ Awesome battery life. No other tablet manufacturer can match as yet

✓ Is widely used in the Aviation industry by pilots*: This gives the iPad the ultimate seal of approval for reliability, performance and virus immunity

*Jeppesen, the leading Airline chart manufacturer, has been officially endorsed by EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) to provide digital navigation charts on the iPad for use in flight decks by pilots, and is being used by major airlines. This is a first, and truly revolutionary!

Cons:
- Proprietary hardware required. ie: Bluetooth GPS, Airprint printers..
- No expandable memory
- No touch ID

I would have loved to see an improved version of the iPhone's touch ID.

------------------------------------------------------

Probably the most difficult task is choosing the version which best suits your needs and budget:

I will first start with the common denominator. All flavours offer the same A7 chip, retina display and Wi-Fi.

So the options are colour, storage size and cellular:
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yet I do suggest a side by side hands on comparison.
- Given the fast processor I would say go for the largest available storage you can afford. This might easily be a laptop alternative, given the new 128GB SSD version.
♦ Many think that cellular versions only offer data. This version also sports a GPS chip which works as good as the best GPS receivers. So this has to be taken into consideration when factoring the price difference.

Highly recommend to anyone seeking a versatile, fast and reliable alternative to a laptop.

I hope you find this review helpful. Any comments or queries are welcome, and I will try my best to address.

Ipad Air
Ipad Air

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad Air - Stylish, Sleek and Blazingly Fast, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Ipad Air (Personal Computers)

This review focuses solely on the iPad Air.

------------------------------------------
Case options: Skip this part if not interested.

They weigh 148.7g, 208.5g and 230.7g respectively.
--------------------------------------------

DOES THE iPad Air LIVE UP TO THE HYPE?

- iPad is also targeted for professional environments
- Stable and reliable iOS platform
- Applications are only available through the App Store.

Pros:

✓ Blazing fast, low consumption A7 (64bit) processor. The fastest to date

✓ Retina display. Great colour saturation producing stunning images

✓ iWork and iLife software included for free

✓ Vast choice of apps that can mimic laptop/desktop programs

✓ Awesome battery life. No other tablet manufacturer can match as yet

Cons:
- Proprietary hardware required. ie: Bluetooth GPS, Airprint printers..
- No expandable memory
- No touch ID

I would have loved to see an improved version of the iPhone's touch ID.

------------------------------------------------------

So the options are colour, storage size and cellular:
♦ Many think that cellular versions only offer cellular data and hence need a sim card. However they also sport a GPS chip which works as good as the best GPS receivers. So this has to be taken into consideration when factoring the price difference.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20