Profile for Keith Aitken > Reviews

Content by Keith Aitken

Keith Aitken (Bo'ness, West Lothian United Kingdom)

Fresh 'n Rebel Rockbox Fold Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Army
Fresh 'n Rebel Rockbox Fold Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Army
Offered by ExpressPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet, unreliable battery., 21 Jun. 2017
Decent bass response, but a lot quieter than I had hoped it would be. My phone's speakers were a lot louder than this speaker, which kind of misses the point. Rechargable battery completely failed and will no longer charge, after just over a year of occasional use, hence the one-star review.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A pint-sized powerhouse, 10 Nov. 2015
Bought this to support a 2 week long business trip. I typically take 4 devices with me (Work + Personal phones, tablet, ereader) so need something that will charge devices quickly and reliably, but won't take up too much space in my bag. This product succeeded on both counts; I love the retracting pin on the plug, this makes it so much easier to transport. Charging times were excellent even with both phones connected. I would definitely recommend to colleagues/friends

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" is a favourite of mine, but her follow up, "The Little Friend" was a bit of a disappointment, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect here. However, my trepidation was misplaced; this isn't just the best book I've read this year, it's probably the best I've read in the last 5 years. A hugely original story with well written and utterly believable characters, that takes you places you wouldn't expect. A masterpiece. If you like the modern American novel (John Irving, Jonathon Frantzen, Tom Wolfe) or even if you don't, give this a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Redhead
Redhead
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blind buy I ever made......, 16 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Redhead (Audio CD)
It's sad to think that this artist stands absolutely NO chance of ever making it in the UK, given that we already have a manufactured boy "band" by the name of Blue - the spelling difference won't help when it comes to recognition by the British public I fear.
Anyway... picked this up in a second-hand CD store when I was living in the US - it was in an old CD case with no inlay card or anything else to tell me about the CD, but I vaguely remembered reading something about it on a Jellyfish mailing list. Sure enough it was the same album, mentioned because Andy Steurmer (Jellyfish drummer/singer/songwriter) makes a rare co-writing outing on a couple of tracks here, along with Dan Wilson from Semisonic.
Even without the colaborations however this would still be great record - infused with (power) pop sensibility but with a modern edge, it's one of the best new albums I've heard this year. From the ELO-gone-metal hybrid of "Get Up" to the electronica of "Three's a Charm" this is a treat from start to finish.
Check this out if you enjoy a bit of power-pop - Jellyfish, Beatles, Teenage Fanclub, Foo Fighters etc. It's a steal at this price considering it's an inport, so get clicking now!

Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea - Ltd
Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea - Ltd
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars In a nutshell - "Rid of Me", with decent production!, 23 Oct. 2000
After a disappointing album last time round ("Is This Desire"), Peej returns with a belter of a new album. Whilst her last couple of albums experimented with a accoustic instruments and electronica, "Stories.." goes back to basics with primarily a guitar/bass/drums lineup to great effect. Much has been made (in the music press) of the 70's New York scene influences on this CD (Television, Patti Smith etc.), but I feel this has a timeless quality, certainly not sounding dated.
Standout tracks are "Big Exit", "Good Fortune" (soon to be released as a single), the appropriately floaty(!) "We Float", and "This Wicked Tongue" which rocks as hard as anythong she's ever done.