Profile for Leslie > Reviews

Content by Leslie

Leslie

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet: The fast, no-hunger weightloss diet for vegetarians
by Rose Elliot

4.0 out of 5 stars great starter guide!, 24 Aug. 2011
Having been told by various well-meaning sources that low-carb and vegetarian are incompatible, I was very pleased to find this book. The intro provides an easy to understand outline of the whys & whats & hows. The recipes are inspiring -- plenty of room for variation. I tend to add various spices and herbs, and crank up the heat with a good plop of sambal / other hot sauce, but that's a matter of personal taste, of course. Elliot also offers helpful tips on restaurant dining and dealing with carb cravings. I like her style, too; having browsed a few other books/online forums, some authors/contributors can be so preachy and rigid and joyless.

Pity about the title as I'm not on a "diet" per se, but I can see why it would be marketed as such. I dropped a total of 10 lbs without even trying during the first few weeks of radically changing my perspective on healthy veggie eating. A great starter guide to low carb veggie living!

Carb-Conscious Vegetarian
Carb-Conscious Vegetarian
by Robin Robertson

1.0 out of 5 stars not good for solo chefs, 24 Aug. 2011
I was disappointed. Most of the recipes serve at least 4 and the dishes don't necessarily lend well to saving/freezing/downsizing. Also, I can't stand cookbooks where lots of recipes include a reference to another recipe in the list of ingredients. I've only recently taken up a low carb veggie diet and so far I'm the only one in the family interested in it. I was in the market for a cookbook mainly to inspire with relatively easy recipes. Unfortunately, while this book has some amazing-sounding dishes it's just not practical for me, and actually many of the recipes were a bit daunting.