Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "magicbeatle" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Time and Time Again
Time and Time Again

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but is there a major plot flaw?, 23 Feb. 2015
Ok, First the good news. I loved it from start to finish. It was very entertaining. I read it in only 5 days, which is quick for me.
However, a couple of hours after finishing it, I was thinking about it at work. I suddenly realised there could be a major flaw in the plot. Don't read on if you haven't read this book yet as this is a SPOILER!!!

First, we have to understand and agree that both Hugh and Katie go back to the same day, the 1st of June 1914. There is only one time line of 1st of June 1914. History only changes after 28th June 1914 when Hugh saves Arch Duke Ferdinand, and later afterwards when he killed the Kaiser, thereby creating a different future. Even so, when Katie leaves her 'time altered' 2015 she still goes back to the same 1st of June 1914. Before the changes to her time line occurred. As do all the others from their 'altered 2015 timelines. The evidence is all the letters they leave. So, we have to agree first, that there is only one 1st of June 1914.
However, on page 379 (of the Hardback copy) Hugh is reading all those letters left by the other time travellers. Some say they travelled back to kill or save the Archduke. Others that they came back to save or Kill the Kaiser. They leave their letters explaining why they done it and what their future worlds were like. But how can this be? There is only one 1st of June 1914 remember? Hugh's one. So, they would all have had to of travelled there to carry out their own missions. Right? They should all be there at the same time. But, The Archduke or the Kaiser could not of been both saved and killed in the same time line. We know that Hugh saved the Archduke. So how did another time traveller kill him at the same time? We know Hugh killed the Kaiser. So how did another time traveler save him at the same time? Been wrestling with this in the back of my mind all day now. Am I missing something? Or have I discovered a plot hole? Please leave your comments below. Cheers.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 2:20 PM BST

Big Gundown [Blu-ray] [1966] [US Import]
Big Gundown [Blu-ray] [1966] [US Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, Great Blu Ray by Grindhouse, and all Discs are Region Free., 31 Jan. 2015
Let me say first that this is a Fantastic Western. In fact, next to the 'Dollars' trilogy I think this is the next best Speghetti Western ever made. Directed by Sergio Sellima, with a great score by Ennio Morricone (who also done the score on the Dollars Trilogy, and Once Upon A Time In The West), it has all the hallmarks of a Sergio Leone film. Lots of Action, a great script, good dialogue, great acting from all concerned (especially Cleef and Milian), great landscapes, and a great ending that is reminiscent of the endings of 'For a Few Dollars More', and 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'. The only reason I have given it 4 stars (wanted to give it 5) is the horrendous title song (Run Man Run) sung by a high pitched woman called Christy at the beginning (and at the end) that makes me grit my teeth and slightly (just slightly) ruins my enjoyment of it. The second reason is that the better version of the film (the uncut 110 min Italian version) is only with English subtitles. However, I realise the cut scenes were never dubbed in English so this is all you can get. The extra scenes do make the film better in my opinion. However, the 95 min U.S. Cut is still great and is fully dubbed in English. You get both versions on Blu Ray with this 'Grindhouse' release. Plus (For some strange reason), you also get the DVD of the U.S. Cut. Plus a CD of the Ennio Morricone's score. Both picture and sound on both versions of this film are superb in Blu Ray (Haven't watched it on DVD). Anyone in Britain with a Region B Blu Ray Player wondering if they should risk sending of for this from America have no fear. It took about 10 days to come, but all discs (Blu Rays at least) are region free so will play on your player.
So, why only Four stars? Well, I have to knock one star off, just because it could of been slightly better if (A.) They had dubbed the whole 110min cut, and (B.) The opening and end credits had Ennio's wonderful Battle Scene score instead of the aforementioned abomination. (Why use a singer anyway, with such great music from Ennio?) Still, those points aside, I still rate this as one of my favourite Speghetti Westerns. It's nearly (but not quite) up there with 'For A Few Dollars More' and 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'. But, I actually have it in front of 'A Fistfull Of Dollars', 'Once Upon A Time In The West', and even slightly ahead of 'Django' (Another great one).

A Matter of Time
A Matter of Time

5.0 out of 5 stars A Matter Of Time. Fantastic!, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Matter of Time (Kindle Edition)
This book almost seems like it was written just for me. The reason? Well, apart from the fact that I've been obsessed with Time Travel my whole life, and also have a big fascination with the Second World War (because of my Grandad) I have also always felt that I was born in the wrong era (Just like Eddie) . And I am also a big Beatles Fan (Eddie saves John Lennon, just like I would of done)

However, to cap it off I am also a Train Operator on the Northern line and based at Golders Green. Just like Eddie.

Have you ever wished that you could write a story about one of the biggest dreams/Fantasies in your head? It's almost exactly that dream. And somebody else has written it for me. For me, the perfect Time Travel Story.
I will never feel the same way about going into Tooting Broadway Sidings again. May even close my eyes for a minute and cross my fingers....

Her [DVD]
Her [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joaquin Phoenix
Offered by Speedy Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film., 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Her [DVD] (DVD)
Really thought this film was going to be a load of rubbish, but it was absolutely Fantastic! It's not to hard to believe that in the not too distant future this could become reality. There is absolutely no CGI, or Action in this film. Not even any shouting, or any other loud notices. It is very slow paced and quiet in fact. But, don't let that fool you. You will be absorbed in the movie from beginning to end. It is thought provoking, sad, funny, bizarre, and original. Really enjoyed it. Just go with it.

The Homesman [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Homesman [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The Homesman is a very good Western, 7 Nov. 2014
They billed this as the best western since 'Unforgiven', and I really have to say that I think it is. I don't know what I was expecting, but certainly not this. It's not violent like 'Unforgiven' and so many other Westerns. (although it has its moments.) And If your expecting a gunslinger movie, you will be disappointed. It is however, a thoughtful film. It has a mixture of comedy and pathos, making it a very interesting original Western. It is well directed, with beautiful landscapes, and finely acted by all. And it has a shock in store that you just don't expect, that turns the film on its head, and will leave you stunned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2015 3:17 PM BST

Batman: The Movie [Blu-ray]
Batman: The Movie [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Adam West
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Watched Batman as a small boy growing ..., 5 Nov. 2014
Love it! Watched Batman as a small boy growing up in the early 70's. I loved it back then. But, as a Teenager, I didn't get it. Thought it was cheesy and camp. (What did I know?) Then, as I got older I realised (through re-runs on the telly) that it was meant to be like that. It's all things to all people. A Superhero to the Kids. And a great laugh to the adults. Anyway, after hearing about the T.V Series being released next week (for the first ever time on any format, and in a limited Blu Ray edition with all 120 Episodes) I thought I should buy the film to make sure I was right (didn't really sit all the way through the re-runs) before ordering the expensive Box Set. I needn't have worried. Watched it twice already. Had me laughing all the way through. Can't wait till next week!

Oculus [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Oculus [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Karen Gillan

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Worthwhile Horror, 5 Nov. 2014
I actually thought this was a pretty decent horror. It was devoid of the usual stereotypical music, (sometimes silence is better) and typical cliched scares. It fact, it reminded me of the Steven King movie 'The Shining' in certain respects. I also liked the way it was shot. (Something you can hardly ever say about Horrors) The way they intermingled the past and present together was pretty clever at times. Hope this Director doesn't change his style. The only thing that took away a point in my view was the glowing eyes. They didn't work for me. However, all in all a pretty decent film, and definitely one of the better ones out there. I liked the way the Director ended the film. It was pretty much how I thought it would end. I'm so tired of Directors trying to out guess the audience and give them an over the top ending they wasn't expecting, even to the detriment of the movie. I personally find 9 out of 10 horrors (and I'm being kind here) to be a load of rubbish! So this (although not a classic) is worth a watch.

Batman: The Complete TV Series - Limited Edition [Blu-ray] [1966] [Region Free]
Batman: The Complete TV Series - Limited Edition [Blu-ray] [1966] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Adam West

5.0 out of 5 stars Bat-Tastic!, 16 Oct. 2014
I originaly gave this product one star a couple of months back, only because I thought the set had been shelved. However, I promised to delete the review and write another as soon as It was released. So here it is.
I know some people are complaining about the ultraviolet editions not being included, despite Amazon advertising that it was. That was bad, and I feel for those who really wanted to watch it on their iPads/Tablets etc. However, I am not bothered about it. I hardly ever watch anything on my Tablet or phone. I like sitting in front of the TV.
The box itself is really nice, and the extras are OK. The Batmobile is nothing like the original Toy I had as a Kid in the early 70's. (That used to fire matchsticks out of the rocket launchers) It is considerably smaller and has no movable parts. However, it's OK. The Bubble Gum Cards are also just a novelty. Nothing great. The best thing is the Episode Guide. That is pretty good. However, it doesn't show original Transmission dates. The Box also has a 'Press Here' button on the side that plays a part of the theme tune. That's a nice touch. (Until the battery eventually dies.)
However, the episodes themselves are very good. Not 'Like they were made yesterday' as some people have claimed, as there is some grain on some scenes. (Not many) However, generally the prints are very nice and pristine. All the episodes are also in their entirety. By that I mean they each have the full Beginnings with the theme tune and cartoonish opening, and full credits at the end. The cliff hangers are also left intact. (Unlike 'Time Tunnel')
All in all, this is a Fantastic Box Set and well presented with very good prints of all episodes. This has never before been released in any format (Video, DVD, or Bluray) and has been patiently awaited by fans for decades. It is only a limited edition, so when it's gone it's gone. They could re-release it in a standard box set next year, in a few years time, or maybe never. Who knows? Are you prepared to take the risk?
So, if you want it get it now! Before its deleted and goes for mega bucks on eBay.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 5:57 PM GMT

Mama (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Mama (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jessica Chastain

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Bad!, 17 Aug. 2014
This film sucks big time! The story is really cheesy. The ending unbelievably so. The CGI is some of the worst I've ever seen. Very computer animated. I've seen better on a playstation game. Why do directors keep insisting on using CGI in everything anyway? No one knows how to make good horror films anymore. In fact, loads of films with CGI turn out to be crap. However, It's not the fault of the technology though. It's the fault of the directors. They either use it badly, use it to much, or both (generally both) How people can give this movie 5 stars is beyond me.

That's The Way It Is
That's The Way It Is

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing set!, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: That's The Way It Is (Audio CD)
Just like the previous reviewer I think this is a *Fantastic!* release. Couldn't believe my eyes when I got it this morning. Such a lovely big box, and great quality too. A really great 80 page booklet, with lots of information and great photo's. 8 different coloured CD's. Easy to slip out. (Not like some sets.) The whole thing smacks of quality. Like most fans who will be buying this, I mainly wanted it for the two unreleased concerts on Discs 3 and 5. (I have the other concerts already) I have only listened to disc 3 (August 11th Dinner Show) so far as I had to go to work. What can I say? Wow!, already one of my all time favourite concerts. 'Ive lost You' and 'I Just Can't Help Believin' are the same live tracks found on the original album. However, they either have different mixes, or Felton Jarvis added overdubs after the fact, for the album versions. Whatever, they are both amazing, and 'I Just Can't Help Believin' is simply sublime. It sounds the same version, yet completely different. You have to hear this for yourself. It's that good! Also, 'Polk Salad Annie' is also absolutely outstanding. As is 'Suspicious Minds'. And 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is the version from the original movie. (Always a favourite of mine.) However, the song did dip in sound for a second, for some reason. Overall, This is a great concert! Disc 5 (August 12th Dinner Show) tomorrow, and I can't wait! Then I will go through the rest of the set. I also have to agree with the previous reviewer about the DVD's. Why DVD and not Blu Ray? And why no extras? If they had issued these as Blu Rays, together with the 'Lost Performances' and other officially unreleased performances, this would have been twice as good, and I would have paid twice as much. However, this is such a lovely set, that I honestly can't give it any less than 5 out of 5 stars!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 2:33 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3