Profile for D. Skinner > Reviews

Content by D. Skinner

D. Skinner "David S" (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MoreAudio Nox Lightning Dock Speaker for iPhone 5 5S 5C 6 6+ 6S 6S Plus, 7 & 7 Plus iPad Air Mini iPod Touch Nano - Wireless Bluetooth FM Radio Dual Alarm Clock - Remote Control - More Audio Acoustics
Offered by 4Cool Technology

2.0 out of 5 stars Read BEFORE you buy!, 16 Sept. 2017
I very rarely write reviews but felt I should in this case so that nobody else is misled by the pictures in the way that I was!

PLEASE BE AWARE THE BLUE LIGHT (AROUND THE TOP) SHOWN IN THE PICTURES DOES NOT EXIST! IN REALITY IT IS A CHEAP PIECE OF BLUE PLASTIC!!!

I was very disappointed when my speaker arrived and spent ages going through the instruction book trying to work out what I had done wrong! Eventually an email to customer services revealed the news that I had made a mistake and offered me a chance to return the item. I am disabled and housebound so that is not an option for me!

In addition the control buttons on the top are impossible to access in the dark, I had assumed that this was the reason that the top was lit up but apparently not! So it is impossible to stop the alarm or access any of the functions at night without switching the lights on.

Having said all of that; the sound the sound quality is remarkably good (hence the 2 stars) and had I realised about the deceptive pictures I would have chosen the black version where the placement of the switches on the top makes accessing them in the dark much easier!

To conclude; if, like me, you chose this model because of the cool blue light...DO NOT BUY! If, however, you are not bothered then you will not be disappointed with the sound quality.

I hope this review will help others avoid the disappointment I am currently feeling!

Mr Oliver's Object of Desire
Mr Oliver's Object of Desire

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book...you should definitely buy it!, 27 Sept. 2016
Wow! What a wonderful book. I have been a fan of V.G. Lee (and her books) for a while now and can wholeheartedly recommend this latest volume; it may even be my favourite...as ever the characters are as lovable as the author who gave them life and the story touching and amusing in equal measure.

The book spans a tumultuous year in the life of the eponymous Mr. Oliver and beautifully captures the atmosphere of London in the mid-70's. I don't want to say too much about the story save that I feel sad to have finished it so quickly and will miss the new friends contained within it's pages.

We are told, in the notes at the end of the book, that it was many years in the writing, and although it was well worth the wait I do pray that Ms. Lee's next book will be here sooner. I for one can't wait!

The Black Path: An intense, tightly calibrated thriller
The Black Path: An intense, tightly calibrated thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 20 Sept. 2016
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Well planned, beautifully written and an excellent first step into a new genre for Mr. Burston.

The highest praise I can give 'The Black Path', as with any any decent thriller, is that it not only kept me turning the pages (sometimes WAY past my bedtime!) but that it kept me guessing; right up to the last page!

The characters are skilfully drawn and believable. The book has a wonderful sense of time and place and it's obvious that a lot of time and energy has gone into research.

I'm only sad that I've finished it so quickly...here's hoping his next book will be available soon.

SZTARA Travel Toiletry Bag Organizer / Hanging Portable Travel Bags / Household Storage Pack / Bathroom Makeup or Shaving Kit For Women Home Business, Vacation, Household with Zipped Small Blue
Offered by mtarashop

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 10 Jun. 2016
As a regular traveller, spending at least a month at a time overseas, I was getting increasingly irritated with wrapping all my bathroom products in plastic bags (not so easy to come by now that you have pay 5p at the supermarket!) and hoping for the best that they don't leak in the suitcase!
After an afternoon's browsing on Amazon I decided to order this travel bag on spec. and I'm glad I did. I'm very impressed. It's spacious, water-tight and well-organised. Exactly what I was looking for. At this price I was expecting something 'cheap & cheerful' but it's of a surprisingly good quality and a lovely bright colour. It will hang up in the hotel bathroom so I don't even need to empty it out when I unpack - which should hopefully put a stop to losing things every time the hotel room's serviced!

Edwin Jagger 99.9% Natural Shaving Soap (aloe Vera) In 65g Travel Tub Ssavt
Edwin Jagger 99.9% Natural Shaving Soap (aloe Vera) In 65g Travel Tub Ssavt

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many cuts and nicks!, 23 Dec. 2015
I did not get on with this soap at all! I bought it because I suffer with soreness and often rashes after I shave. This helped a little but at what a cost...whereas with my previous soap I could go months without a cut, with this I cut myself 3 or 4 times EVERY SHAVE! I'm not sure why, I have tried layering it on more thickly. I even tried the pre-shave balm they included with the soap - I've tried everything I can think of but I still end up a mass of bleeding cuts!
I'm sorry I cannot recommend this product...mine has gone in the bin!

Always you edina
Always you edina

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Always you edina (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful book - moving, funny and beautifully written. One of the best books I've read in a long time. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2015 10:52 AM BST

Diary of a Provincial Lesbian
Diary of a Provincial Lesbian

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it wrong to wish that a year had 18 months?, 25 July 2015
Well you certainly will with 'Diary of a Provincial Lesbian' - 12 months in the life of the wonderful Margaret and her delightfully dotty friends is definitely not enough.
We share the highs and lows of a traumatic year in the life of Margaret and heave a sigh of relief that the brilliant V.G.Lee manages to temper the more poignant moments with laugh out loud humour and a deftness of touch that holds our attention all the way through to the last full stop.

This is a wonderful book and I heartily recommend it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Skin care at affordable prices., 2 July 2015
Retinol seems to be the buzz product of late and so I decided to give it a whirl as my 50th was fast approaching - this is an excellent product which certainly 'does what it says on the tin' - I have noticed positive results within the first week; I will definitely purchase again in the future. Delivery was speedy and the item was well-packaged. Many thanks.

When the World Was One
When the World Was One

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 18 Jan. 2015
Love this album, especially Kyumizo-Dera...just beautiful. Contemporary Jazz at it's best!

Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation)
Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation)

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 27 May 2014
It does what it's supposed to do, it's the first time I've used a product like this so have nothing to compare it with but I'm very happy with it - all part of this amazing new world that is traditional shaving.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4