Profile for Mrs Jones > Reviews

Content by Mrs Jones

Mrs Jones (Shrewsbury)

A Man and a Woman: 20 Years Later (1986) ( Un homme et une femme, 20 ans déjà )
A Man and a Woman: 20 Years Later (1986) ( Un homme et une femme, 20 ans déjà )
Dvd ~ Anouk Aimee
Offered by dvd_delights

5.0 out of 5 stars Vingt ans déjà., 8 Aug. 2014
I find it interesting that the English reviews rate this film very low but the French Amazon site has much better star rating, as has the American. I first saw the original "Homme et une Femme" around the time it came out. Quite typical of French films, it has a small story and lots of atmosphere. I have now got around to seeing the second film. The story and characters have matured, vingt ans déjà, as have I and we are used to life being a lot less subtle. The film took me by surprise with the amount of action and a story driven by the possibility of cut budgets and loss of money. Reality that we all understand today but for many, was not an issue in the 'sixties. The film is a good tale with beautiful scenery and I would recommend it to anyone who is French friendly and is prepared to try a little harder. I watched it in one sitting with no comfort break. I don't often do a review but it grieves me to read the English perception of the film and felt I would redress the balance. Au revoir!

The Strangling on the Stage (A Fethering Mystery)
The Strangling on the Stage (A Fethering Mystery)
by Simon Brett

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading - a good story - but a bit "crank the handle, 8 July 2014
Simon Brett novels are always an enjoyable read and this is no exception. Having anticipated this book for quite a while before buying it, I was ready for a bit more gossip about Jude and Carole. This story did not supply anything more in the way of interesting insights into the two main characters and I found I was slightly irritated by Jude's smiling indulgently at her friend's ways but non of the usual camaraderie. And did she ever get an x-ray after her nasty car incident? Worth reading - a good story - but a bit "crank the handle."

I do get rather involved with book characters. Must get out more.

Return of the Saint: The Complete Series [DVD]
Return of the Saint: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Ogilvy

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of the Saint, 30 Jan. 2013
Excellent. I enjoyed it when it was first shown on television and I was surprised to find the Ian Ogilvy character portrayed a man with a past, updated and more in keeping with the book than some other portrayals. Beautifully photographed settings.

5 Star Premier Document Wallet Half Flap 285gsm Capacity 32mm A4 Assorted (Pack of 50)

5.0 out of 5 stars A4 Document Wallet, 9 Feb. 2011
Ordered Saturday, arrived Tuesday. Not an exciting purchase but very good price, delivered quickly and as stated in the description. Just what I wanted. Thanks from a satisfied customer!

Proteam TO1032 - 3 LED Mini Wind Up Soft Touch Pocket Torch
Proteam TO1032 - 3 LED Mini Wind Up Soft Touch Pocket Torch
Offered by NEW STAR Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Proteam TO1032 - 3 LED Mini Wind Up Soft Touch Pocket Torch, 17 Nov. 2010
Just what I wanted; disappears easily into my handbag and is very light. Nice to handle and, unlike some small torches, benefits from three LEDS rather than one. I have a heavier duty torch for general purposes but this is ideal for its intended use and at a modest price.

Uni-Com Wind-Up 20 LED Work Light 57307
Uni-Com Wind-Up 20 LED Work Light 57307

5.0 out of 5 stars Uni-Com Wind-Up 20 LED Work Light 57307, 13 Nov. 2010
I wanted an all-purpose torch to get me to the garage at night and to cope with electricity failures and problems in inaccessible places-type scenario. I have arthritis in my hands and one wrist but this torch is very light for the size and versatility it offers. The two switches on the top are easy to operate with one forefinger and the turning handle tips out slightly when the torch is turned making it very easy to locate and operate. The magnets are suitable for clinging to the bonnet of my car. I wouldn't expect two small magnets to be capable of attaching horizontally, an item of this size but they did manage to locate my keys in the garage in the dark. A lot of light and versatility for the money. This torch exceeded my expectations and I have since bought a very small wind-up one for my handbag.

Baylis BA7015 Eco Mini Pro Torch
Baylis BA7015 Eco Mini Pro Torch

1.0 out of 5 stars Baylis BA7015 Eco Mini Pro Torch, 3 Nov. 2010
Received this item from Green Retailer twenty-three hours after ordering? Excellent. Unfortunately, although the operation of this torch is self-evident, with one-minute's winding giving approx 15 minutes of light, nowhere in the only instructions - on the box - is there any indication as to how the full five hours of charge, claimed in the product details and on the box, can be achieved. Application to Green Retailer brought emailed, multi-lingual instructions showing a usb port on the side of the torch (cable not included!). The torch sent does not have a usb port. Waiting for clarification. Apart from the torch not being as described, it does appear to work and feel comfortable. I don't like incorrect specifications, hence the lack of stars.