Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...

Andromeda Descendent (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotch Magic 19 mm x 20 m "A greener choice" Recycled Dispenser and Tape
Scotch Magic 19 mm x 20 m "A greener choice" Recycled Dispenser and Tape
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Wright on, 27 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave a harsh review of some double sided Scotch tape recently, but this single sided "magic tape" is much better – much more representative of the quality I tend to associate with Scotch/3M products. It comes in a handy little dispenser and sticks well. Unless you look at it closely, or turn it to an exact angle with a light source, you can hardly tell it's there. I was able to write on it in Biro and CD marker pen, and even with a gel pen provided I left about five minutes for it to dry. It's perfect for repairing damage to book spines, which could be made to look even worse with standard tape, but this does an excellent job. Great for repairing tears in important documents too.

Post-it Index - Exotic Colours
Post-it Index - Exotic Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful, 22 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use index tabs on documents a lot, and this brand are more than suitable because I can write on them, which is something I like to do. You get two colours here – yellow and light orange – which alternate as you remove them, and that's fine as they go well together. I'm going on a training course at work soon and these will be in my pocket because they come in a handy dispensing clip. The second part of the product – the repositionable sticky arrows – are something I think I will find especially useful in working through the course book. Brilliantly, you can see through them to the text underneath. In total, there are 32 arrows and 16 tabs. I can't think of anything I would suggest to improve this product. Excellent.

Scotch Double-Sided Tape, 19mm x 33m, 1 Roll
Scotch Double-Sided Tape, 19mm x 33m, 1 Roll

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 22 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
That's my recommendation in one word, but this is a review so brace yourself for about four-hundred.

I consider double sided sticky tape to be an essential supply in the stationery drawer. It has a huge visual advantage over simple see-through sticky tape because you can affix, for example family photos into a scrapbook without the ugliness of having tape affixed to the corners. There are many other uses for it as well, and when I run out I always buy more. I would never consider getting a roll without a backing liner, and didn't realise until this arrived that it is literally a roll of double sided sticky tape stuck onto more double sided sticky tape. Don't get me wrong – that works well enough with standard see-through tape, and each layer of this one peels well enough away from the next. That's good for Scotch I'd imagine, because they don't need to make any backing liner. Not good for me though.

The brands I like always have backing liners and are very easy to use. I can find the edge in under a second, peel it easily away, cut the length I want and fix it in place, all without needing to touch the sticky part. I then peel the backing layer away and stick the paper or card in place over the top of it. But this roll has none of those easy to use features. It makes it a longer, trickier and sticker process.

With a liner you don't need to keep your double sided sticky tape in a box. With this one you need to either wrap the protective plastic strip back around it after use (fiddly), keep it in a dispenser (in which case it will attract dust), or put it back in the box (which it will of course stick to). And then there's the ages spent trying to find the end of the tape, then having to scratch at it with your fingernail.

It does stick, although of course I expect that from a product like this and it's basically the minimum you'd expect it to do. But the lack of a backing liner is, in my opinion, an annoying and completely unnecessary step backwards at the customer's expense. You deserve an easier experience than this – yes, even for something as basic as sticky tape.

HyperX CloudX Pro Gaming Headset for Xbox One/PC - Black
HyperX CloudX Pro Gaming Headset for Xbox One/PC - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, apart from the inline volume remote, 16 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was an interesting test for me, as for the last month and a half I have been using the Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+ and Wireless Gaming Headset (Xbox One) and I am extremely happy with it. Whilst it would be unfair to directly compare a £115 wireless headset with a £76 wired headset (prices at time of writing), I think it is fair to make some comparisons as you have a choice ahead of you – do you go for wired or wireless, and there are pluses and minuses to each decision.

First, the HyperX CloudX itself, and without any comparison to other headsets. I'll start with the name, as it's confusing. We all know what "cloud" means in a digital context now, so the use of it in the title of this headset doesn't make sense to me. It seems a bit misleading, implying some form of digital connectivity, and you would be forgiven for jumping to the wrong conclusion it is wireless enabled as well as wired. The wired connection means you need an Elite controller, otherwise you are stuck. If you do have an Elite controller, you simply plug in the connector and the Xbox One will recognise it as a headset, allowing you to adjust the master volume through the side menu. So far so good. The problem is that the (non-removable) lead comes with an inline volume control. A good thing you would assume, or at least I did until I actually used it.

I must stress here that I am writing, and can only of course, write about the one that I received. I genuinely hope this is not an issue universally with this model, but the in-line volume control on my (again, non-removable) main lead is next to hopeless. Any adjustment to the dial creates scratchy static and cuts the sound to the right ear cup off anywhere from a little right up to complete silence until the point where I take my fingers off it and let it be. At that point I usually get an okay sound balance when letting go of the dial, but not always. It means I simply can't use the in-line adjustment at all if I want to be sure of a proper balance between left and right cups.

That aside, the sound quality is very good. Better than most standard headphones I have used for gaming. Part of my test for this is the sound loop on Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition. This allows me to judge one set of headphones against another pretty well, in combination with the ambience test I guess most of us do in these situations, which is using it with various combat or horror First Person Shooters and taking in the quieter details. It's very good at that too. I have to say that to my ears the Turtle Beach headset has the edge over the HyperX, and feels much more immersive. If I didn't have the Turtle Beach headphones though, I would be very happy with the sound quality of the HyperX.

Where the HyperX may have the edge for some people is the comfort factor. These are really comfortable headphones. The Turtle Beach ones are adjustable of course, but they do grip your head a bit by the ears. I don't mind that, and in fact I prefer it for wireless headphones, where I know I'm liable to get up and move about with them on. With wired headphones I'm not going to be moving all that much, and I can appreciate that some people might prefer the HyperX because they sit on your head and barely grip at all, but they do stay on there.

As well as the microphone, which fits on well (and there is a rubber stopper for the connector hole if you don't want to use it), there are some other accessories. There is a very nice and well made carry case, with a Velcro strip to hold the microphone. There are also some alternative ear cups, albeit with no obvious or easy means of taking the standard ones off. I think I have an idea how to do it, but I am worried I might break the material of the standard cups if I try it. There is also an extension cable which splits the headphone and microphone components. This is for if you are using it with a PC instead of an Xbox One.

In summary, they are good headphones let down for me by an Achilles heel of an inline volume dial but, as long as I don't touch that, this is a more than adequate backup for my wireless headphones and something I can use not only on the Xbox One when my wireless ones need recharging, but with a Hi-Fi system too.

[2 Year Warranty] Avantree Adjustable Laptop Stand Bed Table, Portable Standing Desk, Foldable Sofa Breakfast Tray, Quality Notebook Stand, Book Reading Holder for Couch Floor Kids - Minitable
Offered by AvantreeDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars A top table, 16 Oct. 2016
I love this little table. Love is a strong word for an object but yes I love this little table. I read a lot of books, from small to quite large, and this table allows me to sit in my chair with the legs of the table each side of my own legs and read the book without having to constantly hold up the book at a suitable angle for reading it. It is highly adjustable and I have set it to the perfect height and reading angle. There is a little ledge as well, which holds the book in place. The table's surface is an unobtrusive beige and easy to clean. Of course, the table is built to be able to fold away again, but why would I want to do that? I use this every day and I consider it worth every penny.

Rapesco Long Arm Stapler - Manta Ray, 20-sheet Capacity, 300mm throat depth
Rapesco Long Arm Stapler - Manta Ray, 20-sheet Capacity, 300mm throat depth

5.0 out of 5 stars Much, much simpler than the old way, 16 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How many times have I had this problem? I need to staple booklets but the stapler won't reach all the way to the centre unless I bend the back half of the booklet over on itself. It is so frustrating. When I think of the amount of time and hassle I could have saved with this long armed stapler, it makes me wish I'd had the use of it years ago.

The reach on this stapler is enough to staple A3 pages into A4 booklets and even A2 pages into A3 booklets! (exclamation mark fully deserved I think). That reach is provided by having the top part of the stapler on the upper part of the arm, and the indent (which is changeable between an "innie" and an "outie") on the bottom part.

You slide the paper between the two parts, and there is an adjustable guide marker which can slide back and forth to line up with whatever paper size you are using, although this is given in the form of centimetres, or alternatively inches, rather than standard paper sizes. There is a whole 12 inches of reach if you need that much.

The stapler itself is easy to open up and reload, and I got perfect stapling every time in testing it. I think that next time I need to make some booklets I'll actually look forward to the task rather than dreading it.

Post-it 15.8 x 38.1 mm Strong Index - Aqua/Lime/Yellow/Red (Pack of 40)
Post-it 15.8 x 38.1 mm Strong Index - Aqua/Lime/Yellow/Red (Pack of 40)

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, strong, reusable and excellent, 3 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find index tabs so useful. These ones are in a handy one-piece dispenser, and I will be taking it with me in a few weeks for a training course. There are 10 tabs of each colour – blue, green, yellow and red. The thing to be aware of with these ones is that they are small – the coloured part is just 16mm across. That makes them different from others I have, which are also made by Post-It. The wider ones I find useful because you can write on them. You can try to put words on these ones, but you won't get very many at all. That's okay though, as long as you understand the difference, because I (and I'm sure many others) also use tabs just for marking places in a book and these are easy to apply and remove, strong, reusable and excellent for the purpose.

Post-it 101 x 101 mm Super Sticky Lined Z-Notes Pad - Fuchsia (Pack of 5)
Post-it 101 x 101 mm Super Sticky Lined Z-Notes Pad - Fuchsia (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Large, lined z-notes, 3 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Here we have a pack of 5 individually wrapped z-notes from Post-It. Obviously, to make full use of them you need a suitably large dispenser, but it's not necessary to have one. There are 90 sheets per pack, and they are lined too – which makes them useful for writing lists on. The size is 101 by 101 millimetres, so you have enough space to make good use of those lines. They use super sticky renewable resource adhesive. These ones are bright pink, and nearly impossible to ignore – which is an excellent feature in a Post-It note.

Post-it 76 x 76 mm "Marrakesh Color Collection" Super Sticky Notes
Post-it 76 x 76 mm "Marrakesh Color Collection" Super Sticky Notes

5.0 out of 5 stars Post-It World Tour, 1 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So far I have seen Post-It notes named after Rio, Bangkok and now Marrakesh. I guess the idea is to give multi-packs of the pads a more of an identity.

These pads, of which there are 6 in total, are of the standard 76 square millimetre size. The colours I received are quite varied – two greenish yellow, one ruby red, one yellowish orange, one royal purple and one blue… so they look a bit different from the picture, but maybe I got a different variety?

They all use the super sticky variety of glue which is a bit stronger than ordinary Post-Its and sticks to a wider variety of surfaces.

HALO Mythos: A Guide To The Story Of Halo
HALO Mythos: A Guide To The Story Of Halo
by 343 Studios

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Halo companion guide to the story so far, 30 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a long term fan of the Halo games I thought I knew most of the mythology, even the bits from the novels and other various spin-offs there have been over the years. I was clearly so very wrong about that. This official 343 Industries book – and what a well designed and well presented book it is, I just have to say that first – tells the entire story of the Halo universe so far from the very beginning right up to the events of Halo 5: Guardians. Not just that, but the painted artwork is outstanding, and appears generously throughout with more than 50 paintings and diagrams.

It is extremely well written, and as a Halo fan I found it exciting to read. That sounds like a cliché, but I am completely serious about that; it really is an exciting read. Even when it was covering those events I already know a lot about, I was drawn to keep on reading – it gave me the same feeling as playing the actual games and I felt completely in the moment. I now feel I understand the whole connectivity of the universe Bungee and now 343 have created to a far greater degree than before.

If anything, I think the subtitle "A guide to the story of Halo" completely undersells this book. It is, to put it more aptly, "The ultimate Halo companion guide to the story so far" and I can't find any words more appropriate to recommend it to you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20