Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...

Andromeda Descendent (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PG Tips Original Keep It Tea Gift Set
PG Tips Original Keep It Tea Gift Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tea, great biscuits… but we don't get the slogan, 5 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everyone likes a cuppa, so why not buy them a gift box with some biscuits and a mug? That's the question PG Tips are hoping a good number of people are going to answer with a "yes, why not". Personally, I think it's the ideal gift for calling on someone unannounced because you're bringing the tea, you're bringing the biscuits and you're even leaving them with a mug when you go, so they can't really make excuses and turn you away after that can they?

In all seriousness though, PG pyramid bags do make a great cuppa. The family have enjoyed them for years, and I have to say that those shortbread biscuits (of which you get 10 in the packet) are really nice and now they are gone we are left with a collective hunger for shortbread biscuits that will no doubt result in the family getting a habit for them.

The mug is okay. We didn't really get the slogan. What does "keep it tea" mean? Is it a plea to not drink coffee? The sketch of Monkey on the inside of the mug only reminds us that we like Monkey and would prefer to see him on the outside of the mug instead. At least we can see the Monkey on the inside; someone who lifts their mug with the left hand is going to see nothing.

You may want to know that the biscuits contain gluten and may contain nuts and sesame.

Oasis Women's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue Display and Silver Alloy Bracelet SB001SM

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and uncluttered, 3 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bracelet watch is really easy to unfasten and clip back on again. It looks really good and my mother has a new favourite watch. The rectangular face is a rich bluish colour which complements perfectly with the silver of the hands and the bracelet. There is no day of the week display but not everyone wants that, and it would have only made the watch face seem crowded. As it is, it is simple and uncluttered. The box it comes in is nothing to write home about, but no-one gets a new watch just to keep it in a box.

Sigel LH115 Wall-Mounted Literature Holder Acrylic with 1 compartment for A4 (1 piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars See-through with rounded safety edges, 2 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite a stylish container. It's sold as a literature container, but funnily enough I already have something like this in the house, which I think I got in a sale or car boot sale or something several years back – though not clear acrylic and not as nice looking as this – and I use it on a dull space of wall for putting thin books and magazines in. If you plan on using it to display leaflets or menus and so forth – which is the main use for it – then the clear plastic and rounded edges will be good features to have.

It has two holes for wall mounting, and that's the only way it does mount. But the base is slanted, so you can't stand it on a table. That's a bit of a missed opportunity, surely? I appreciate that there is a good reason for the slanted base, as it makes any leaflets in it slide to the front, but for the sake of an extra slottable piece of acrylic at the back to hold it steady they're missing out on making it something you can use anywhere, not just a wall. So, yes it looks very good and very stylish but it is a niche item.

Given that it is a niche item, I can't really mark it down for that lack of adaptability, hence the 5 star score, but allowing for that dual use would be better, especially for business owners who travel to events.

Rapesco Project File - 5-Part Project File with Coloured Tabs
Rapesco Project File - 5-Part Project File with Coloured Tabs
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed, 1 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At work I quite often use the kind of file this is based upon – the ones with a plastic strip near the spine, where you turn both edges of the strip upwards and feed your hole-punched paper onto it – but I have never seen anything like this before. The best way I can describe it is to ask you to imagine one such file opened out, with another different colour file (minus the front cover) glued into the centre, then that again three more times. The edges of each part are then turned into index tabs. The inside of the front cover is a plastic sleeve that opens onto the centre, and there is an A4 printed index template for you to fill out, as well as a pocket for a removable front-cover "spine" card.

If you're going for simplicity in your document, maybe this isn't going to be your first choice, but if you do need to present a set of documents in one file, this could well be a stoke of genius. The sections are different colours (red, green, yellow, clear and blue), and the tabs stick out far enough that A4 paper will not overlap them. It's thinner than you would think given the five sets of bindings. It looks good as a file and if you are presenting a report to someone – and especially if that report is divided into five sections – then it actually looks as if you have put serious thought into the choice of folder. I know I'd be impressed to receive it. And I know I can put these files to good use.

Russell Hobbs Darwin Kettle 21471, 1.7 L, 2200 W - Red
Russell Hobbs Darwin Kettle 21471, 1.7 L, 2200 W - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars A good kettle all round, 29 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not only is this a good looking kettle, in a nice colour, it is well balanced and easy to lift. I would say it has the best type of on-off switch, as it is actually a button that lights up as you push it in, and the light goes out and the switch pops out when it boils. You can see the water level as you fill it up, and there is enough for 6 cups. If you touch the surface of the kettle by accident after boiling, you're very unlikely to feel any heat on your skin, although I wouldn't leave my hand there long because then you will start to feel it. The lead appears short at first, but that's only because there is extra length wound into the charging base. It's a nice, good quality kettle.

Rapesco Rigid Wallet / Box File - 40mm (Assorted Colours)
Rapesco Rigid Wallet / Box File - 40mm (Assorted Colours)

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, 28 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great medium size option, sitting somewhere between a plastic wallet and a box file, except that it is half the depth of a typical box file and that makes it much more portable. The one I received came in semi-transparent blue, which gives your documents a bit more privacy than if it were uncoloured. The whole thing is surprisingly robust and can take a fair bit of rough handling without risk to the contents. The clasp ensures it won't come open by accident. It has a card holding pocket on the front as well, which I always like to have in such a product. Very nice folder.

Scotch Magic 19 mm x 20 m "A greener choice" Recycled Dispenser and Tape
Scotch Magic 19 mm x 20 m "A greener choice" Recycled Dispenser and Tape
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Wright on, 27 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave a harsh review of some double sided Scotch tape recently, but this single sided "magic tape" is much better – much more representative of the quality I tend to associate with Scotch/3M products. It comes in a handy little dispenser and sticks well. Unless you look at it closely, or turn it to an exact angle with a light source, you can hardly tell it's there. I was able to write on it in Biro and CD marker pen, and even with a gel pen provided I left about five minutes for it to dry. It's perfect for repairing damage to book spines, which could be made to look even worse with standard tape, but this does an excellent job. Great for repairing tears in important documents too.

Post-it Index - Exotic Colours
Post-it Index - Exotic Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful, 22 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use index tabs on documents a lot, and this brand are more than suitable because I can write on them, which is something I like to do. You get two colours here – yellow and light orange – which alternate as you remove them, and that's fine as they go well together. I'm going on a training course at work soon and these will be in my pocket because they come in a handy dispensing clip. The second part of the product – the repositionable sticky arrows – are something I think I will find especially useful in working through the course book. Brilliantly, you can see through them to the text underneath. In total, there are 32 arrows and 16 tabs. I can't think of anything I would suggest to improve this product. Excellent.

Scotch Double-Sided Tape, 19mm x 33m, 1 Roll
Scotch Double-Sided Tape, 19mm x 33m, 1 Roll

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 22 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
That's my recommendation in one word, but this is a review so brace yourself for about four-hundred.

I consider double sided sticky tape to be an essential supply in the stationery drawer. It has a huge visual advantage over simple see-through sticky tape because you can affix, for example family photos into a scrapbook without the ugliness of having tape affixed to the corners. There are many other uses for it as well, and when I run out I always buy more. I would never consider getting a roll without a backing liner, and didn't realise until this arrived that it is literally a roll of double sided sticky tape stuck onto more double sided sticky tape. Don't get me wrong – that works well enough with standard see-through tape, and each layer of this one peels well enough away from the next. That's good for Scotch I'd imagine, because they don't need to make any backing liner. Not good for me though.

The brands I like always have backing liners and are very easy to use. I can find the edge in under a second, peel it easily away, cut the length I want and fix it in place, all without needing to touch the sticky part. I then peel the backing layer away and stick the paper or card in place over the top of it. But this roll has none of those easy to use features. It makes it a longer, trickier and sticker process.

With a liner you don't need to keep your double sided sticky tape in a box. With this one you need to either wrap the protective plastic strip back around it after use (fiddly), keep it in a dispenser (in which case it will attract dust), or put it back in the box (which it will of course stick to). And then there's the ages spent trying to find the end of the tape, then having to scratch at it with your fingernail.

It does stick, although of course I expect that from a product like this and it's basically the minimum you'd expect it to do. But the lack of a backing liner is, in my opinion, an annoying and completely unnecessary step backwards at the customer's expense. You deserve an easier experience than this – yes, even for something as basic as sticky tape.

HyperX CloudX Pro Gaming Headset for Xbox One/PC - Black
HyperX CloudX Pro Gaming Headset for Xbox One/PC - Black
Offered by CCL Computers

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, apart from the inline volume remote, 16 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was an interesting test for me, as for the last month and a half I have been using the Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+ and Wireless Gaming Headset (Xbox One) and I am extremely happy with it. Whilst it would be unfair to directly compare a £115 wireless headset with a £76 wired headset (prices at time of writing), I think it is fair to make some comparisons as you have a choice ahead of you – do you go for wired or wireless, and there are pluses and minuses to each decision.

First, the HyperX CloudX itself, and without any comparison to other headsets. I'll start with the name, as it's confusing. We all know what "cloud" means in a digital context now, so the use of it in the title of this headset doesn't make sense to me. It seems a bit misleading, implying some form of digital connectivity, and you would be forgiven for jumping to the wrong conclusion it is wireless enabled as well as wired. The wired connection means you need an Elite controller, otherwise you are stuck. If you do have an Elite controller, you simply plug in the connector and the Xbox One will recognise it as a headset, allowing you to adjust the master volume through the side menu. So far so good. The problem is that the (non-removable) lead comes with an inline volume control. A good thing you would assume, or at least I did until I actually used it.

I must stress here that I am writing, and can only of course, write about the one that I received. I genuinely hope this is not an issue universally with this model, but the in-line volume control on my (again, non-removable) main lead is next to hopeless. Any adjustment to the dial creates scratchy static and cuts the sound to the right ear cup off anywhere from a little right up to complete silence until the point where I take my fingers off it and let it be. At that point I usually get an okay sound balance when letting go of the dial, but not always. It means I simply can't use the in-line adjustment at all if I want to be sure of a proper balance between left and right cups.

That aside, the sound quality is very good. Better than most standard headphones I have used for gaming. Part of my test for this is the sound loop on Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition. This allows me to judge one set of headphones against another pretty well, in combination with the ambience test I guess most of us do in these situations, which is using it with various combat or horror First Person Shooters and taking in the quieter details. It's very good at that too. I have to say that to my ears the Turtle Beach headset has the edge over the HyperX, and feels much more immersive. If I didn't have the Turtle Beach headphones though, I would be very happy with the sound quality of the HyperX.

Where the HyperX may have the edge for some people is the comfort factor. These are really comfortable headphones. The Turtle Beach ones are adjustable of course, but they do grip your head a bit by the ears. I don't mind that, and in fact I prefer it for wireless headphones, where I know I'm liable to get up and move about with them on. With wired headphones I'm not going to be moving all that much, and I can appreciate that some people might prefer the HyperX because they sit on your head and barely grip at all, but they do stay on there.

As well as the microphone, which fits on well (and there is a rubber stopper for the connector hole if you don't want to use it), there are some other accessories. There is a very nice and well made carry case, with a Velcro strip to hold the microphone. There are also some alternative ear cups, albeit with no obvious or easy means of taking the standard ones off. I think I have an idea how to do it, but I am worried I might break the material of the standard cups if I try it. There is also an extension cable which splits the headphone and microphone components. This is for if you are using it with a PC instead of an Xbox One.

In summary, they are good headphones let down for me by an Achilles heel of an inline volume dial but, as long as I don't touch that, this is a more than adequate backup for my wireless headphones and something I can use not only on the Xbox One when my wireless ones need recharging, but with a Hi-Fi system too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20