Profile for Andromeda Descendent > Reviews

Content by Andromeda Desc...

Andromeda Descendent (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Frying Pan, Black, 20 cm
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Frying Pan, Black, 20 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good handle, nice to use, 12 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a dishwasher safe, 20cm diameter non-stick frying pan (with a three layer non-stick surface). The range is called good grips, and that's certainly a good description. It is well balanced, easy to clean and nice to use (although the size does limit the amount you can put in it). The only thing I don't like is there appears to be a dent in mine along the edge. I'm assuming that it's not part of the shape because it makes the pan asymmetrical. I've had a look at the other reviews here and I can only assume it's a one off – I still think it's worth 5 stars.

InterDesign Clarity Hair Care Organizer, Hair Dryer Holder For Bathroom Vanity Counter Top - Smoke

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, 2 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good solution for where to store your hairdryer – a clever alternative to hanging it on a hook, as we used to with our Remington. It now fits snugly into this when not in use, and there are open compartments for the plug and other items. It's made of a smoky tinted plastic with no sharp edges and seems quite sturdy and durable. It's one of those items you didn't know you needed and now can't do without.

InterDesign Frost Spa Small Stacking Basket
InterDesign Frost Spa Small Stacking Basket

4.0 out of 5 stars A drainable storage tub, 26 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a simple little basket for small bathroom items such as shampoo bottles and handwash. Funnily enough, that's what's shown on the label and exactly what we're using it for. It seems reasonably durable, has no sharp corners and is a muted white colour which doesn't look out of place in a bathroom, as most similar bathroom accessories tend to be that colour.

It has four drainage holes for the inevitable excess water to flow out of when you reach in for the contents with wet hands. That does rather limit where you can stand it though. Keep it in a cupboard or on a window ledge and you may want to put a piece of kitchen towel under it so that (not so much water but) hand wash and shampoo don't congregate as sludge underneath. In some locations though, having that drainage could be a good thing. It all depends where exactly you're putting it.

Disconnect
Disconnect

5.0 out of 5 stars Disconnect, 19 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Disconnect (MP3 Download)
Why Marina and the Diamonds doesn't have the same worldwide profile as Lorde I am baffled, as she's just as talented and – like Lorde – has a completely unique take on pop music. This Clean Bandit collaboration is excellently written, catchy and could possibly be described as the modern equivalent of Kate Bush's Deeper Understanding.

Cold Is The Memory
Cold Is The Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a leaf I just wither..., 19 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Cold Is The Memory (MP3 Download)
I bought the album "Intro…" by J.J. on C.D. when it came out and all of the vinyl singles, but I haven't had a record player for a long time now, so this non-album track – one of my favourites at the time – went unlistened to by me for a while until I found it available for download. I guess very few people will discover this song now, unless they have come to it by way of Jan's Johnston's work on various EDM tracks, but it is beautifully evocative and well worth you giving it a try.

National Gallery Dot-To-Dot: Great Paintings (Dot to Dot Books)
National Gallery Dot-To-Dot: Great Paintings (Dot to Dot Books)
by National Gallery

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired choice for a book, it's just a pity the numbers are so small, 19 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Colouring books for adults have become big business, so why not dot-to-dot books for adults too? Well, there isn't actually an age limit on this book, but with 1,000 dots per picture, it's more likely that parents are going to find this appeals more to them than it does to their children.

It's a big book, approx. A3 size, and the pages are good quality and spread out, so you don't need to draw on both sides. The numbers are incredibly small, but at every hundred there's a change of colour, so that helps somewhat. But mainly, and I'll say it again, the numbers are incredibly small. That's not a problem for me, but it will be for many people, and – even though I can make them out, I could not complete a whole puzzle without having to give my eyes a rest after every couple of hundred.

The choice of subject matter though is excellent and thoroughly worthwhile drawing. As you go from dot to dot, you slowly see the picture evolving. There's a great choice and range of paintings in the book. There's no need to worry about drawing ruler-straight lines, as in most cases the effect is better the more organic your lines are, so you don't need to be a perfectionist.

AmazonBasics Wall Mounted Coat Rack, Black
AmazonBasics Wall Mounted Coat Rack, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than just "basic", 19 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I saw the photo for this, I thought, "That looks like a nice coat rack, I could really do with another one of those". I didn't mind if it was only "basic". But to call this rack "basic" is underselling it, for it's a seriously good quality product.

This is a proper, sturdy coat rack, 57 cm long and with five dual hooks that are firmly set into the black mounting board. Screws and wall plugs are included. It was barely out of the box before I was getting out the toolkit to fix it up, and I have, and it looks great. I think the only person not happy with it was our post woman, as it arrived in a much larger box than was needed.

InterDesign Rain Cosmetic Palette Organizer for Vanity Cabinet to Hold Makeup, Beauty Products - Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars It's also a CD stand, 19 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's some difference in opinion in the family as to what this handy little stand should be used for. It's either a make-up holder, a CD stand or a letter rack. I draw the line at it being used as a toast rack though. It's made of clear plastic and has five compartments, open at the sides and top. It's sturdy and, although I don't want to drop it on the floor to test it, I think it could probably stand up to such punishment. Very neat and useful.

Minecraft Guide to The Nether and the End: An official Minecraft book from Mojang
by Mojang AB

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed advice for travellers in the Nether and the End, 17 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been to the Nether quite a few times in my journey through my particular world in Minecraft, but I would never have thought of growing a garden in it using wet sponges. That's just one of the useful suggestions in this guide to two of the rarest biomes in the game – the Nether and the End. The focus of this book is mainly on how to survive hostile mobs and the environment and what you can do and find there. It's part of a series of books, the first two of which focussed on the Minecraft Overworld, and (like those books), it is in hardback, with quality full colour pages, and packed with great advice and illustrations.

The second part of the book was, for me, the most interesting because – in common with a lot of Minecraft players who get so caught up in crafting and shaping their Overworld – I haven't actually travelled to the End myself yet. I now have some useful advice for when I eventually do, because defeating the Ender Dragon looks like it could be tough. I now know that I can use exploding beds towards the end of the battle to help finish it off.

There is also advice for what to do to avoid the wrath of Endermen and suggestions on the benefits of respawning the Ender Dragon once you have defeated it. Also, you can settle in the End if you want, and this book gives you some helpful tips on doing so.

Minecraft Guide to Creative: An Official Minecraft Book From Mojang
Minecraft Guide to Creative: An Official Minecraft Book From Mojang
by Mojang AB

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for crafters, 13 Aug. 2017
Packed with illustrations, useful tips and design guides, this official Mojang book is completely worthy of a place on your shelf. It is part of a growing series, with 2 books initially, soon to be 4 (exploration, creative, redstone crafting, the Nether & the End), and it is full colour, hardback, and 95 pages.

It is split into 3 parts – Planning, Decoration and Building. You probably have your own ideas about buildings and what they should look like, but the book prompts you to consider questions such as how your buildings can fit in with the theme and colour palate of the local biomes, and offers "block hacks" and structure suggestions. There are tips and examples for modern cityscapes, ideas for indoor lighting and furnishing, and suggestions for budding landscape gardeners. I particularly liked the bonsai tree design.

There are also "blueprints" (not blue but you get the idea) for building a remote outpost, an exotic villa, an underwater observatory and a steampunk airship. There are also some useful tips for vertical transport systems.

What doesn't it cover? Well, it is more focussed on inspiring than informing and that means it is by no means an exhaustive guide to what you can create in Minecraft. I, for one, am looking forward to the upcoming book on redstone crafting. I really like this book, but wouldn't say it is as "essential" a purchase as the slightly more excellent Guide to Exploration. Still, I did really enjoy this book and – given that it is part of a collectable series – I'd find it hard to give it anything less than 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20