Profile for Stromata > Reviews

Busy B 2017 "Day A Page" Diary
Busy B 2017 "Day A Page" Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice page-a-day diary for 2017, 16 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very nice page-a-day diary for 2017. The cover is wipe-clean plastic that will soften with use, the paper used for the diary pages is of a good quality and takes fountain pen ink without a problem. Each page has the relevant month calendar in the right-hand bottom corner.

The usual things are all here - a page for 'personal details', one for 'useful numbers', full calendar for 2017 and for 2018, a two-page 2017 year planner. At the back of the diary is a 2018 year planner, a two-page 'important birthdays' spread, ditto 'useful websites', two pages for 'notable dates' and three pages for 'notes'. There is an elastic loop to hold a pen or pencil, an attached bookmark and an elastic 'closer'.

Although this diary is of a fairly large format, I will be able to keep this in my (capacious!) handbag, but would make a good desk diary.

This would make a super present.

Skin Doctors Beelift 50ml
Skin Doctors Beelift 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product - just don't expect miracles!, 4 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Review by a sixty-something sceptic!

I am always on the look-out for a good moisturiser that is not too heavy and is a good base for makeup, so I thought I would try this as it was on offer. Having read the enclosed instructions, I did a 24-hour patch test, as instructed, with no adverse reaction.

On first using the cream on my face I did feel a slight tingling sensation, nothing particularly startling. Doubtful this had anything to do with 'bee
stings' but probably some other ingredient. I have applied the cream to my face and neck, after cleansing, twice a day for three weeks. The instructions say you should apply moisturiser on top of this cream, but I felt my skin was nourished/moisturised enough without. The cream is an excellent base for make up.

From the first couple of days using this cream twice a day, my skin has felt smoother, softer and 'calmer' (ie not subject to the tiny whiteheads that appear every now and then). I would even say my skin looked better too, particularly on my neck - but this is rather subjective, it really is difficult to claim 'younger' looking skin. However, I am pleased with the result and will probably purchase more of this cream when the jar empties (a little goes a long way) and explore more of the products in the Skin Doctors range. The price seems quite reasonable too.

No, Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing!: Marie Sharp 4
No, Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing!: Marie Sharp 4
by Virginia Ironside

2.0 out of 5 stars No, Thanks! Not for me., 29 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been reading Virginia Ironside's work for years, we are almost the same age, but had not tried any of her 'Marie Sharp' novels so I was happy to take this opportunity to do so.

To say I was disappointed is something of an understatement. The characters seemed one-dimensional with, apparently, endless financial resources - enough to travel to India for a holiday at the drop of a hat etc. etc. The storyline was predictable and I lost interest very quickly.

This is the third book in the 'Marie Sharp' series, perhaps I should have started with the first one as Ms Ironside has a loyal band of fans who obviously enjoy these books. I dislike giving unfavourable reviews but I really did not like this book at all and will not bother reading any of the others- sorry.

Silentnight Hotel Collection Duvet, 10.5 Tog - Double
Silentnight Hotel Collection Duvet, 10.5 Tog - Double

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recomended, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really light, soft duvet which is very comfortable to sleep under. The manufacturer suggest that the 10.5 tog is suitable for spring and autumn usage, but we have found it perfect for summer - bearing in mind we live in Scotland! Nonetheless wherever you are in the United Kingdom it can be chilly in the wee hours, so this duvet is really practical. I think the duvet would be suitable in winter for use in a warm house.

The duvet comes in a good-quality storage bag. Highly recommended.

Rose & Co Patisserie de Bain Sweet as Cherry Pie Gift Set - 3-Piece
Rose & Co Patisserie de Bain Sweet as Cherry Pie Gift Set - 3-Piece

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good enough to eat!, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very prettily presented and very sweet-smelling, these bath 'melts' would make a lovely gift.

Made in Britain from natural ingredients the three little hand-made 'bath fancies' really did look good enough to eat. I did find it took quite a while for the product to actually melt in my (hot) bath water and, as mentioned by other reviewers, it did make the bath quite slippery. However my skin was left very soft and smelling very pleasant, so I really felt that I'd had a treat!

Queen Bees: Six Brilliant and Extraordinary Society Hostesses Between the Wars - A Spectacle of Celebrity, Talent, and Burning Ambition
by Siân Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs work, 7 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Inside this rather disappointing book is, I feel, a really good one struggling to get out.

Whilst the premise of the book, its research and the author's enthusiasm are all excellent, the narrative is so muddled it is difficult to follow what is written. This book needs a really, really good and experienced editor to bring out the best of what Sian Evans has to say on such an interesting subject.

I absolutely hate to post such a negative review of an uncorrected proof, but I hope the publishers take note and do not rush-out a book that is clearly not ready yet.

Manuka Doctor Manuka Honey 15+ Total Active 250 g
Manuka Doctor Manuka Honey 15+ Total Active 250 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Goodness and Testes Lovely!, 7 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially I thought this was a very expensive little pot of honey - until I started using it regularly when it became clear that a little goes a very long way.

Manuka honey is apparently a rich source of amino acids, iron, zinc, copper, B vitamins etc. and many claims of health benefits abound - it is said to help with acid reflux, acne and eczema, MRSA-type infections, skin wounds, IBS, tooth and gum problems, sore throats and general 'un-wellness'. However, this is the sort of claim made on web-sites and in newspaper articles and not, I note, by Manuka Doctor on the jar, so it is best to do a little research for yourself.

The Manuka Doctor honey is '15+' UMF (Unique Manuka Factor - the global standard for identifying and measuring the antibacterial strength of Manuka ) - and 15+ means 'superior levels of phenols that are highly therapeutic but shouldn’t exceed taking 1 tbsp at a time'.

Having felt unwell for some months with mild illnesses ranging from ear infections, sore throats, mouth ulcers and tiredness I started taking a small teaspoon of this Manuka honey morning and evening (as well as prescription antibiotics from my doctor) and I feel so much better now. It could be due entirely to the antibiotics, but I am not sure that it is. Apart from anything else this stuff tastes wonderful - as though it really is doing you good.

When I have finished this jar I will purchase another - it has lasted three weeks so far and perhaps has another week left.

Cath Kidston Meadow Posy Cleansing Hand Wash 260 ml
Cath Kidston Meadow Posy Cleansing Hand Wash 260 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine smelling hand cleanser, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this cleansing hand wash for the past few days - mainly after working in the garden. The texture is a lot thicker than other liquid hand soaps/cleansers (but not abrasive) so ideal for getting really dirty hands clean again, and a little goes a long way. The smell is absolutely lovely. a combination of wood and flowers. The price tag of £10.00 a bottle does initially seem a little expensive, however I think this will last some time. Would make a really great gift.

Scotch C38 19 mm x 8.89 m Dispenser and Tape 810 - Grey
Scotch C38 19 mm x 8.89 m Dispenser and Tape 810 - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart addition to the desk, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really smart dispenser - made to take a smaller-size roll of tape, one of which is supplied. Although quite small, this dispenser is fairly heavy and, coupled with the two non-slip pads on the base, makes it easy to get a piece of tape without the whole thing wobbling about. Nice grey colour, easy to wipe clean and a good price.

Manuka Doctor ApiRevive Restorative Hair Mask 100 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiRevive Restorative Hair Mask 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product, 24 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wash my hair every-other day and have used this product once a week for the last three weeks, my hair is chin-length and tends to be slightly oily. However, the lower half of my hair is currently very dry as I am growing-out a harsh colour-job (vowing never to have chemicals near me again). I usually use Aveda shampoo, conditioner etc. as I like to use products with as 'natural' ingredients as possible.

Firstly, I love the smell of this product - very pleasant without being 'perfumed'. Just a smallish dollop did the job on my fairly thick hair, so although some may see this as an expensive purchase it will last a long time. Left in my hair for the prescribed 7-10 minutes, it rinses out well and I was pleased with the result.

The acid-test for trying a product is to ask 'will I actually buy this myself?', in this case it is a resounding 'yes'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17