Profile for K. C. Simm > Reviews

Content by K. C. Simm

K. C. Simm "kenart" (Lancashire UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies (Howell dummies series)
Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies (Howell dummies series)
by Lee Livingood

5.0 out of 5 stars I Heart Greyhounds, 14 Mar. 2007
Owning rescued greyhounds for a while now, I suppose I am qualified to look at this book. I can't fault it. Like all dummies guides, it is not. It is well written, informative and extremly useful. The only fault I can lay at its doorstep is the over American bias. All useful contacts are over that side of the pond. There are many useful charities over this side that do sterling work for these wonderful and sometimes much abused animals. That aside a very helpful addition to the library. If you are thinking of getting a rescue greyhound it is a must purchase. You can then teach your dog to get upstairs. Rescue greyhounds don't know what stairs are for. As the author says there are many areas of training that are peculiar to these special dogs that you do need to be aware of. Include other long dogs, and Lurcher's in this statement.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2013 11:26 AM BST

Canon Pixma iP4300 Photo Printer
Canon Pixma iP4300 Photo Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Some day my prints will come., 14 Mar. 2007
I am a fan of Canon. I like their camera's, I find their equipment generally well made and it does the job I ask it to do. Let's get my bias out of the way first of all.

I don't like instruction manuals. I don't like quick set up guides which in my view are usually anything but. So, with this printer, the item itself in excellent, produces excellent prints that satisfy even my wife with the shots we now have of her beloved Greyhounds for framing. Colours are vivid and strong (How do they know that the prints will last 100 years?)Tones are rich, blacks are deep and lacking any obvious blotting or staining. No fuzzy edges, sharp clear and as full of detail as the origional shot appears in Photoshop. The software bundle is remarkably easy to use and produces excellent results. Much easier than printing through Photoshop without the steep learning curve.

The printer is a good looking, well designed machine. No complaints there at all.

Setting it up was however a pain. Unlike other reviewer's this took an entire afternoon, using both the set up guide and the instruction manual. I've learned that quick set up guide is as much an oxymoron as Sports Personality or Military Intelligence. In particular the drawing of the paper feed tray leaves a lot to desired. I found the drawing confusing and badly printed which for a printer is, you must admit somewhat ironic. It was difficult to see what needed to be done. Whether this was a one off I don't know, perhaps looking at the other reviews it was. It did not make the setting up a pleasurable experience. By the way to repeat what others have said make sure you get a USB A-B cable. for the life of me I cannot see why Canon do not supply one, what do they cost? Mine was three quid and bought at the same time.

Inks are expensive £35 for a full set but check out some of the sites above that Amazon reccomend, you can half this. Finally the red lights at the end of each cartidge could be useful. I don't know yet, are they a gimmic? Do you really need an electronic warning about ink supply? One wonder's?

The Gormenghast Trilogy
The Gormenghast Trilogy
by Mervyn Peake

5.0 out of 5 stars A Baroque world, 12 Mar. 2007
Mervyn Peake, writing apparently in exercise books has created the only really complete world in Fantasy. Why do I say this when such stalwarts such as Tolkien exist and have written such fine work? Peakes world is so utterly different from the epic journey based worlds of other writers that it stands on its own as brilliant literature.

It is, by turns a comic, tragic, baroque jewel of a masterpiece that defies true classification. Gormanghast itself as an edifice is such a vast creation that it has entered the language as a metaphore for complexity and is the stage upon which such rich characters as Steerpike, (truly Dickensian in name) the Prunesquallors, Flay, Swelter and the spectural Lord Groan himself play out a multi layered shadow story of ultimate and inevitable tragedy worthy of classical literature.

Because Gormanghast the edifice is such a strong symbol, I have always found the third book of the trilogy, Titus Alone to be somewhat weak. The reason for this I feel is that besides leaving the lovely cobwebbed mansions of Gormanghast behind,(where one may look down on a field of stones with a horse in it on a rooftop a mile away and not know how it got there or what it is for)Titus himself is such a faintly sketched character compared to the others in the first two books that he doesn't really hold one's interest. Gormanghast is the thing. You can get away with just reading the first two and see Titus Alone as a seperate entity, worth reading but not part of the main. Mr Pye by the same author is also a 'nice' read. Classic in every sense of the word. By the way, ignore the TV series.

The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History (Fantasy Masterworks S.)
The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History (Fantasy Masterworks S.)
by John M. Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Masking history, 12 Mar. 2007
I don't know why but this kind of book always appeals to me. Don't get me wrong, I can't be doing with " What if Germany won the war?". My tastes require something a little more on the subtle side of things if you are going to mess about with History.

It has got to be said that the Renaisance is fertile ground for these kinds of shennanigins and the characters in the book, all but one historical, play on this slightly altered stage very well.

The basic premise is that the Byzantine Emperor Julian could have reinstituted paganism after Constantine if he had not been so much of a wet. Christianity would have suffered the fate of lots of religions around at that time such as the worship of Mithas, (which features in the book) and become just one of many. Imagine this premise moved on to the Renaissance with chararacters such as the Medici's, Sforza's, Plantagenet Kings and Byzantine Emperor's all reveling in a sumptious, conspiratorial, scenario with added magic and Vampires. There you have it, lovely stuff, well worth reading.

Kingdom of Heaven [DVD] [2005]
Kingdom of Heaven [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Orlando Bloom
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott of the Epic, 10 Mar. 2007
There are times when Ridley Scott reminds me so much of David Lean at the height of his powers. If Gladiator was Scott's Lawrence then is KOH the Ryan's Daughter?

There is no one nowadays who can put an intelligent epic together like Scott, (Ridley not Tony, although Man on fire?)(Yeah I know Peter Jackson but he just does what everybody thinks is impossible). Make no mistake this film is an epic in every sense of the word. It is stunningly beautiful to watch with lighting, set design and cinematography all coming together in one seamless sumptious whole. Acting is strong with Bloom actually being the weakest link but Irons, Neeson and Thewlis putting real meat on the bone, as, I suppose you would expect.

The battle scenes are simply the best filmed. These are not simply throw every effect you can at the screen, these are remarkable visual statements where a shot fired from a flaming ballista takes on a peculiar beauty all of its own. What with that and the doctor from Star Trek's Deep Space nine taking a lead role as a Saracen noble what else could you ask for. ( Say's he showing his unique understanding of absolute film trivia).

Who's Next
Who's Next

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you mean, who?, 9 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Who's Next (Audio CD)
At my time of life you don't usually go in for hyperbole. But there comes a time... This is the definite article. This is the album! This is Rock with a capital at its very best. simply the one album everyone should own. It defines an era, a style and my generation. This is the silverspoon of rock music. Buy it, listen, remember. If you are young you won't understand it so don't bother, (oops, little bit of the cat amongst the pigeons there). Actually you probably will think it would make a great soundtrack to some American TV pap, God help you. Actually I quite like CSI.

Hannibal (2 Disc Special Edition) [2001] [DVD]
Hannibal (2 Disc Special Edition) [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Mr Scott, 9 Mar. 2007
I love everything that Ridley Scott has ever done. well, with the obvious exception of that thing about the female marine, oh and Tim curry with horns, (but that does have its good points no pun etc). But I also find Thomas Harris a remarkable writer. Yes, I know the subtle nuances of Lecter's character that you find in the book, the memory mansions for instance would be very difficult, if not impossible to film. I thought if anyone could then Ridley Scott could.

Instead our eponymous anti hero comes across as a little bit ,dare I say it, soft. This is not the murderously intellectual aesthete that we have come to know and love from the book and from the film Silence of the Lambs. This is a somewhat watered down version missing even his most basic thought processes. Hopkins does well enough, the music is gorgegous. but the movie overall misses out because we are not given the chance to understand why Hannibal loves. I missed Jodie Foster as well.

If this was not an adaptation of such a wonderful novel it would have worked but come on Mr Scott you can be multi layered when you want.

The Mote in God's Eye
The Mote in God's Eye
by Larry Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars Look to the one in your own., 9 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Mote in God's Eye (Paperback)
This book cannot be praised enough. A literate, exciting, well thought out, well written, complete, remarkable, devastatingly good book. Ranking with the best sci fi written.

From the shipboard drama to the meeting with moties, everything sparkles. I cannot advise reading this too much. It remains one of my favourite books and not just sci fi. Why does no one film this. It cries out for the silver screen. Providing it was done well of course. I think I will suggest it to Peter Jackson for his next blockbuster.

The River Flows: Anthology, Vol. 1
The River Flows: Anthology, Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare, 7 Mar. 2007
Rare it is these days that I find a new interest. I am fairly set in my ways when it comes to what I will enjoy and at my age it is hardly surprising. So it was with interest that I awaited the arrival of this set.

I had only heard the music of Iona briefly on the album a friend picked up at a live gig, and that was as background to the conversation we had when he brought it over.

I love the island of Iona and I lived on neighbouring Mull for some time. Because of this I expected a celtic flavoured atmosphere to the music. In that I was not disappointed. Washes of electronic sound with a distinct new age/prog/celtic flavour. Which is not, of course a bad thing as long as it does not predominate. What I did not expect was the welcome and refreshing jazz/ fusion like quality that mixes so well with the sound wash. There is a distinct Christian feel to the whole sound but it is not overpowering and is certainly not evangelical which would put me off and I feel would alienate a number of potential listeners. Themes and music blend together in a subtle and pleasant manner. Overall it did not make me sit up and shout from the roof tops but it did relax me and allow enjoyment, which again can only be a good thing. I will buy more and I regard this, (well produced) box set as a worthwhile purchase. Only missing out on top marks because I was not really looking for a ladder to get on the roof and exercise my vocal chords.

The Da Vinci Code [2006] [DVD] [2007]
The Da Vinci Code [2006] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor and poor, 23 Feb. 2007
After reading Holy Blood Holy grail when it first appeared and rereading it several times since and all the associated spin off's. I thought it made for a good detective story and someone should make a film. when Mr Brown's Da Vinci code came out I was quite prepared to like it and briefly I did. The hype that followed shot that down in flames. When the film came out to much similar hype I was prepared, honestly to give it a go and enjoy it for what it was. But... the rub is, I cannot find any substance in this. The film is ok, but only ok. It is not,(as is often the case) as good as the book and the book comes nowhere near Holy Blood, for interest. Acting, unsually for a Howard/Hanks collaboration is just above mediocre. Even our favourite acting knight Sir Ian McEllan is rather too low key for the role. All this could be because everyone knows the story and all you are seeing now are the illustrations. It is the undercurrents and the subtext that makes this whole thing a conspiracy lovers dream not the fact that you can throw money at it and make it work. That it will never do.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8